+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deeply personal

I'm sorry to hear how it ended up but your emotional state concerns me a bit. I'm no doctor but from your initial descriptions I'd say it seemed fairly bi-polar. The highs are high, and the lows are like scrape the barrel low.

If you still feel this way after another month or so I would advise (as a friend would advise someone he notices acting this way) that perhaps he should talk to someone professional about it.

As for moving on a bit it will be difficult, best of luck and try to occupy your mind with hobbies and other friends and you should find it getting easier day to day.

Update

So, back at work after five days (two days off ill).

Atmosphere between the two of us is very tense to say the least.

I've gotten over some of the 'emotional rawness' of what I felt last week and see things a little more clearly.

However, any friendship that was there appears to have been shut down and/or closed off. Any communication coming this way is of a work nature only - nothing else felt. Unless I am misreading the situation, which I could be. Currently feel as if I have lost a friend, someone I still think alot of.

Although I've managed to overcome the attachment a bit, there's still a lot emotion and regret and saying what I said and letting my feelings be known...a longing to have kept my mouth shut.

I am seriously considering radical surgery, ie a change of job to get over this, as I think I've blown it for good...which will be very difficult to work with, as I am still in love, and suspect I always will be.

Diversionary tactics such as walking on my own and trying other activities are having limited effect.

After putting your heart on your sleeve you have to understand the consequence is typically a blown up friendship. This is because now everything is weird and uncomfortable for you both and it defeats the purpose of relaxing and having fun. Your best bet is to ignore her and move on for at least a couple months - maybe even date some other girls by then and start talking to her in a friendly way again.

It's never easy in any scenario to tell someone you're into them only to get rejected, more so when you work with them. Don't change your job to deal with it, but hang out with other friends and do things to take your mind off of it. As much as possible. The road is long and hard, but be strong and you'll be fine.

Get a new job! (if you can...) Start getting out more- force yourself- go out with a friend and flirt with OTHER woman. Pretend you are in a new city where you don't know ANYONE and you are feeling bold and adventurous. Go to a grocery store and ask a hot girl for recipe advice- or where to find the tomato sauce- tell her she looks familiar and ask if her name is...Sara??- and say something like, "Listen (be the man- take control-hot) I know that you don't know me, but I would really like to buy you coffee and have a conversation with you sometime. Your eyes are just too beautiful to never see again.." Sounds cheesy- but if she is single, she will be flattered and LOVE the attention- she might meet you just because you made her feel pretty and no one else has done that for her in a while...But- YOU get HER email or number- don't give her yours. That isn't gentlemanly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    I'm no doctor but from your initial descriptions I'd say it seemed fairly bi-polar.
    Bi-polar has mania included in the diagnosis.

This test is hardly set in stone, but it can be enough to draw attention to a possible problem.

[url]http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_maniascreener[/url]

Also, it can remove a nagging thought by relatively disproving the idea that you might be bi-polar.

Off of two posts, I couldn't possibly conclude anything about your mental health, other than you seem love sick.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Look up the symptoms of bi-polar, they include long periods of sleeplessness during manic episodes, followed by "crashes" when one can't even get themselves out of bed for days to weeks at a time. During manic episodes, people have delusions, often telling people of how important they are, (i.e. famous, working with someone famous, about to sign a record contract, a messenger of God, etc.). This is VERY real and pretty obvious to people that know you well. It is such an excuse when one says someone is bi-polar without ever really knowing the difference between that illness vs. depression vs. addictive behavior. Substance abusers often have jeckel or hyde behavior, but that is an addict for you. NOT bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder as evident and startling as schizophrenia. Sorry, did I just go off on a tangent- there is a mental health lesson free of charge for all! HAHAHA!

Eh... bipolar doesn't require a full out "manic" state... some forms of bipolar tend to have more of a "hypomanic" state which is less severe and though it may lend to grandiosity, it doesn't have delusions or psychosis. Basically the person is more 'grounded' and in control than in a truly manic state.

Bipolar is easily confused for being 'moody,' or even in some cases being mistaken for being 'bratty,' or the 'artistic type.' So it's not always easy for the average person to detect - even for the person who may suffer from the disorder unknowingly.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12