+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is it with men and pain?

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    so thanks to an unfortunate occurrence involving an unfortunate police officer, my bf gets frequent migraine headaches. they are debilitating. however it is possible that he can manage them if, when they start coming on, he takes something quickly. but this man, i have no clue why and maybe you guys can help me understand, does not say anything until it's so bad that it's obvious and he's in an enormous amount of pain and there's nothing we can do to help him.

i've tried talking to him about a million billion zillion times, that if he just tells me right away i can knock it out and that's that. but he refuses. it's so annoying. i hate it. i hate this particular cop and all the pain and agony he's causing us.

but still, why cannot this man just say he's in pain?
    Cops are pieces of shit, generally. I hope your bf at least got a chance to lay that crapsicle out before copping the migraine inducing injury.

Heat packs work for me. I don't like taking pharmaceuticals.

thanks ya'll. doc, we are trying. we have a case against him but it's at a stand still because the guy is in the military and is in afghanistan.

anyway, i think it will take pharmaceutical drugs or some other drastic measure to handle this. i mean, NOTHING helps him when it gets bad. and we've tried everything we can without going the doctor route.

ugh, this is affecting our quality of life. he doesn't understand how this affects me. today i'm making an appointment for him. i'm sick to death of this. they'll probably have him do mri's and all kinds of other things to figure it out but it seems worth it right now. i'm losing sleep over this.

last night we were supposed to celebrate my birthday with some friends who just returned from hiking in the grand canyon. we were supposed to have dinner and beat up the piniata. but the headache interfered.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I think it is how we are raised...I know it seems really stupid...but I mean when we are kids and you get hit you don't rub it, or you get hit again....we are conditioned that way....I mean now that I think about it I got kicked out of a trailer one time by a Camel and he broke my ankle...I finished the last 2 hours on my shift before going to the emergency room....although I think that had more to do with I needed the money...but maybe I was subconsciously just doing what I thought I was supposed to...I don't know.

As for migraines I get them occasionally and Excedrin migraine works the best for me...like Vashti said it has caffeine in it....also sometimes I just have to go in a dark room with no noise, pull the covers over my head and sleep it off like a hangover.

But as I said I do believe its our upbringing...I mean we have sayings like "drop a pair" and "man up"...you never here "woman up" or "grow some titties"

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post

last night we were supposed to celebrate my birthday with some friends who just returned from hiking in the grand canyon. we were supposed to have dinner and beat up the piniata. but the headache interfered.
    Oh, no no no. He has to stop trying to pretend it's going to go away and start dealing with it as soon as he gets a hint it's on it's way. I think this might just be something he hasn't learned yet. He hasn't had enough punishment for it to sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post

But as I said I do believe its our upbringing...I mean we have sayings like "drop a pair" and "man up"...you never here "woman up" or "grow some titties"
    I love it. Hey, Misombra! Grow a pair (of titties) and tell him how it's gonna be!
    Spammer Spanker

thanks giga.

i've decided to take some action and made him an appointment with an orthopedic guy. orthopedics because the genesis of these migraines is a neck injury caused by this...

i'm not taking this shit anymore. it's driving me crazy. i am not going to be able to take care of him and a small child at the same time.

Good for you. He doesn't have to suffer unnecessarily anymore. Hopefully he has good insurance coverage. It can be exhausting and frusterating visiting drs to try and find a proper medication/therapy though. I had lots of luck with Toradol shots when I had migraines a few years back. It also helped that I had a younger doctor who listened to me and kept an open mind and I knew she cared. That made all the difference in the world.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

You could also try a change of diet...fish and fresh fruits and vegetables help...tell him to stay away from processed foods....I find I don't get headaches as much when I eat healthier...which I know sounds like common sense but you don't always think about what your shoveling in your face when you busy with life.

Taking a minute to think about it really does help....that and a full nights sleep.

thanks ya'll.

we have pretty good insurance. we'll probably have to pay some out of pocket expenses but that's alright. hopefully if we ever get this thing settled he'll be reimbursed for it. it's worth it to me right now. i need him to be healthy.

about the depression thing queen, you hit it right on. he is very angry about what happened and traumatized. this man has gone through so much shit in his life i pray every day for justice.

Poor guy. My husband gets migraines from stress. Plus, on top of that he's got this British "stiff upper lip" thing where he doesn't like to complain about things. But some complaining would be nice 'cause I don't have a clue what's going on unless he says something. And he also doesn't take pain killers either until I nag him about it.

How horribly frustrating for your guy. Maybe physical therapy will help? I'll keep my fingers crossed for that and the hopes that your case goes well.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

thanks starb!

i talked with him about it yesterday and he said something about showing weakness and all that stuff the guys here said. crazy.

well we have that appointment hopefully they can treat this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12