+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there such a thing as being too clean?

I'm not a psychiatrist, but it would not appear that you have true OCD. From what I've read, OCD generally manifests itself in one, or maybe two, compulsive categories (i.e. washing, straightening, counting, hoarding, etc.), and is so acute that it is often impossible to lead a normal life. Seems to me that you just like things neat and clean. You count lines on a road (which you shouldn't do while driving, as it can almost hypnotize you), and connect things with imaginary lines, which seems like something to keep your mind occupied when bored. When I was a kid, I counted fenceposts and/or phone poles while riding with my parents, and look at me - I'm fine..........and so am I!!

it seems to me that you've moved from "clean" into some other territory. I can see rinsing off a couple of times a day if you live in the south, but if you're giving yourself UTIs, it means you're messing with your vag too much. Leave it alone, for God's sake. Soap is too irritating to use more than once a day on such a delicate part of your anatomy.
    Spammer Spanker

2 showers a day sounds reasonable but, 3 kinda strange if you haven't built up a sweat. Do you live in a place where it's Humid? I don't know it's kind of a toss up, if you're in a relationship you always want to please your partner and make sure your as clean as possible. Not to be mean but, I think the normal girl thinks about this more than the normal guy. Can you do me a favor and check out my post, I really need some good advice, Thanks! Love Advice Forum "Blondy2"

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's not all that good for you to keep showering and using products on your skin multiple times a day, every single day.

I shower once a day.

If I need to more, but that's only if I have done something nasty and am actaully dirty as a result. But even then I would likely would have known I'd be doing this activity and thus probably would have not showered prior to this activity. (Unless of course it was a spur of the moment type deal).

I rinse once a day. That means I do not wash my hair (hair gets washed in my actual shower at the end of the day). And often I don't use soap. This typically happens right after a brisk work out where my sweat is fresh. I get in wash my face, pits and back. Quick rinse with only water. 3 mintues tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderandwiser49 View Post
    I'm not a psychiatrist, but it would not appear that you have true OCD. From what I've read, OCD generally manifests itself in one, or maybe two, compulsive categories (i.e. washing, straightening, counting, hoarding, etc.), and is so acute that it is often impossible to lead a normal life. Seems to me that you just like things neat and clean. You count lines on a road (which you shouldn't do while driving, as it can almost hypnotize you), and connect things with imaginary lines, which seems like something to keep your mind occupied when bored. When I was a kid, I counted fenceposts and/or phone poles while riding with my parents, and look at me - I'm fine..........and so am I!!
    I'm sorry to tell you that you've been misinformed. Some obsessive compulsions cover broad ideas like time, organization or simple symmetry. I was obsessed with all of those things and more. If I didn't leave my job by a certain time, leave out of the same driveway, be in a certain lane by the time I reached certain traffic lights and make ALL the "right" turns I'd have a panic attack usually accompanied by severe gastrointestinal upset. Despite that I got the same panic attack if I didn't wash with the "right" side of the wash cloth, and hang it in the same EXACT place every time I finished with a shower. I was also deathly afraid of having people waiting on me. I didin't mind waiting in the slightest for someone else, but I'd have a panic attack if someone were waiting on me. I actually would stop my ATM transaction and get to the back of the line if someone stood behind me no matter how many people were in line or how many times it happened. I also counted things and would have a panic attack if I stopped before completing my count. Efficency was another big one for me. I used to time myself every morning when I got dressed with a 1-one thousand- 2 -one thousand count as well as completing my dress routine with as few motions as possible. (Grab shirt, flip right side out with RIGHT hand, press against chest, smooth left side of shirt against chest with LEFT hand to feel for pocket, if pocket was there throw shirt forward and catch with both hands and put on head first and then arms starting with the right.....if pocket wasn't there I'd flip the shirt and continue the process. I'll also add that I did this in the dark at 5am every morning.)
    Last edited by Incognito; 29-04-10 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Incognito: I am thankful for the advice you just gave me and yes, I know I was misinformed. I have been diagnosed with OCD and I'm sure 3 different doctors wouldn't have diagnosed me if it were true.

I have other problems with this syndrome that I don't speak of. Other than drawing imaginary lines and staying "too clean", I also categorize my closet my shirts according to the order of colors in the rainbow, next come bottoms, from lightest to darkest. My fiance's side is done the same way and he gets frustrated, but not to the point that he hates me. I trace objects with my eyes, everything has to be the same routine, especially when getting dressed, as you spoke of. My routine consists of getting shower, drying off, brush hair, get dressed...bottoms first, belt, top, make up, dry and style hair. But, if I do just one thing out of routine, it ruins my whole day. When I make the bed, it has to be perfectly even or I strip it down to the mattress an start all over, even if it's the top comforter that's not right.

There are so many things that I do daily that I didn't realize I did until I told myself I was going to observe it today. I do the same thing as you when you have to be in the correct lane a certain amount of time before turning or if I'm not delong I remind the person who is. While, I am always reminded they know where they are going, especially my fiancé. I always have to be in the inside lane at a redlight unless I am taking an immediate right, if I don't use a blinker, if I see a hair onsomeone's clothes I have to ask to pick it off, just stupid stuff.

I do hate that I have to deal with this on life, but the more I observe myself, the more things bother me if not in place.
    Last edited by InLoveTrouble; 29-04-10 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It doesn't sound to me like your issues are severely interfering with your life. Does your OCD affect your ability to work and live a normal life? If not, no problem for you.

But, are you planning to have kids? Children actually need a healthy amount of dirt for their immune systems to properly develop. If I were your fiance, I'd be more worried about you enforcing some militant cleanliness regimen on your kids. Can you control yourself enough to realize your compulsion might not be the best thing for them? If so, I'd say you are simply exceptionally neat and tidy.

I have lost a job due to this issue. I took too much time to log into my computer because I had to put everything back into place after some dumb ass sat at my desk over the weekend and rearranged it all for me. I have a problem with being late and having to wait when other people are late. I do not have a military background and do not have kids. Who wants dirty hands in their food when they sit down to eat dinner? I have a soon to be step son and "encourage" him to wash his hands because he forgets, but that's a whole 'nother story!

My fiancé doesn't seem to think it's a problem with the way I do things, but he did remind me to remind him not to ride with me when I am diving ever again because he didn't know I counted lines on the road or connected imaginary lines to light poles while driving. I can't sleep at night because my mind races all the time, 90 to nothing. I guess it's just me. I don't know...I just want to be clean and not be sick. I was sick more before these habits formed. So, yeah, I'm lost.

I usually shower every other day because my skin becomes dry and sometimes infected with fungi. If I showered 2-3 times per day, you would call me Krusty the clown, and not because I am funny.

I would be very annoyed if my gf showered that often. Girls who do that seem very high maintenance.

I would be very annoyed if my gf showered that often. Girls who do that seem very high maintenance.

I will tell you now, even if I was, it would be ok with him if I was high maintenance. But, I'm not...can't afford to be high maintenance without a job and I don't spend but 30 mins showering , getting dressed and doing makeup. Less time than it usually takes a guy. But I will say...I am clean!

Quote Originally Posted by InLoveTrouble View Post
    Less time than it usually takes a guy. But I will say...I am clean!
    This is because lots of men wank in the shower.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by InLoveTrouble View Post
    It's not causing problems with my relationship and I am sure he will, in the long run, appreciate it. There are some nasty skanks out there that I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. But, anyway, as I have learned as of this morning after going to the dr with stomach pain, backache, migraine and painful urination, that it can also cause uti's when u shower too much. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's the truth. So the debation Is be too clean or be sick???
    UTIs from showering? uhhh.... not sure how exactly THAT would work. You get UTIs from bacteria traveling up through your urethra, usually e coli, which comes from the colon.

I don't know how your hair can tolerate being washed that often. Mine is pretty fine, and it would all break off with that kind of abuse.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

@ in lovetrouble: I wasn't saying that you were misinformed. You obviously know all about OCD, but olderandwiser49 didn't. I too used to trace lines between power poles and street light, as well as imagine that an imaginary ball was rolling on the skip lines on the road and I'd use my eyes and imagination to envision it skipping from line to line. I only did that when not driving though. I also only bought fruit of the loom pocket tee shirts for work and only in three colors. I'd arrange them in a blue/gray/black pattern and wear them in that exact order. As far as the original question I suppose that you can be too clean if you are getting UTIs. I'd say do the minimum of what your OCD will allow.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Vashti...the dr said it was not due to e coli. I was told to stop using body wash and use mild soap. Some chemical in the body wash is what cause the uti because as stated before, I washed away good bacteria. I also have them quite often when there is too much sugar pouring into my urine from my kidneys due to the fact I diabetic. I have 2 different forces working against me that could have caused the uti, but it was confirmed it was not from e coli.

If I don't wash my hair twice a day, it gets so oily and to the point that it looks nasty. I'm not white trash that goes out in public looking as such. It is vert fine, thin and not much I can do with it without it being washed.
    Last edited by InLoveTrouble; 29-04-10 at 10:09 PM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Since this issue has cost you a job, I am now of the opinion your OCD is not mild and you should seek some professional help. Sorry, but noone here will be able to give you the help you need. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12