+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intelligence

Alexi,

So it seems we're talking apples and oranges. I was talking about my definition of intelligence being broader than IQ or things of the sort. What I heard you say in the last post was just one aspect of intelligence that you have to have in common with your partner in order for it to work. Maybe not just a partner, as you suggested that there would be an intellectual incompatibility issue between you and me, (though it's good you clarified you don't think yourself any smarter or dumber than me because I think it would be an unwisely quick judgement to have on someone you don't know) but I, on the other hand, would welcome the company of someone who I already claim with hight degree of confidence is an intelligent, though we may possess completely different knowledge. That's what I'm talking about. I think we'd be able to teach each other new things and I love that diversity in my experiences and learning.

Freddie

One problem I do find with intelligence, is that there could be a possibility of that person believing they are a "no-it-all."

I only stress this, because my bf is smarter and older then me. But, he also assumes he knows everything. I might act stuck up every once in a while, but if I challenge him in a piece of information he KNOWS that he's right and I'm wrong and has to prove it. That drives me nuts, but I live with it. So, in a manner of speaking, I feel like the dumb one.

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

You know...I've heard this before and I'm interested because I would do the same thing. I mean, I don't see what's wrong with proving your point if you CAN prove it? I mean, I hope the purpose isn't to make anyone feel dumb, but if you have evidence to prove or disprove something, why not bring it into the light?

Freds

You know...I've heard this before and I'm interested because I would do the same thing. I mean, I don't see what's wrong with proving your point if you CAN prove it? I mean, I hope the purpose isn't to make anyone feel dumb, but if you have evidence to prove or disprove something, why not bring it into the light?
    Well, I'll make a point of something or give a bit of information. I don't embellish on some things if I don't know any specifics about it. My bf gives his opinion and says I'm wrong. Then I just dig myself a hole and hide in it.

I mean, if I'm wrong on some information, I would like to hear about it. The thing is that he embellishes it so much, that it makes me feel like I don't know anything.

Evil School!!
    -Fawn

I see. You're right, that can be a horrible character trait to have. Lots of knowledge but a condescending delivery. Humility is the way to go. Convey your knowledge, but don't intend to make youself seem the smartest human being alive.

That was useful info to me, Fawn. Thanks.
    Freds

I see. You're right, that can be a horrible character trait to have. Lots of knowledge but a condescending delivery. Humility is the way to go. Convey your knowledge, but don't intend to make youself seem the smartest human being alive.

That was useful info to me, Fawn. Thanks.
    Freds
    No Problem. Good thinking, btw.

Evil School!!
    -Fawn

oh man fawn you go thru this too? it drives me nuts sometimes ebrrything is a dARN point!!!! wow i thought i was the only one. babe if u r out there i love you for this quality too u know that.
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

Blue, did you just say you love him for that character flaw? I've heard of people loving little flaws in their partner, but when something drives you mad I would think it rather more like something to work at fixing.

Maybe I've got you all twisted.

Freddie

yes it is something that we wrk out but i love it he would not be who he is without it, do i have to like it all the time? no i dont. But in alot of the same ways i do the same things he does. its funny because we are alot alike in alot of ways especially when we are both trying to prove a point. I know for a fact that we both just wanna be heard.
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

oh man fawn you go thru this too? it drives me nuts sometimes ebrrything is a dARN point!!!! wow i thought i was the only one.
    Its annoying though, isn't it? ugh.
    yes it is something that we wrk out but i love it he would not be who he is without it, do i have to like it all the time? no i dont. But in alot of the same ways i do the same things he does. its funny because we are alot alike in alot of ways especially when we are both trying to prove a point. I know for a fact that we both just wanna be heard.
    I do the same thing sometimes too. But for once I would love to be right! They are character flaws though. Annoying as it is.

Evil School!!
    -Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    but I, on the other hand, would welcome the company of someone who I already claim with hight degree of confidence is an intelligent, though we may possess completely different knowledge. That's what I'm talking about. I think we'd be able to teach each other new things and I love that diversity in my experiences and learning.
    That sounds like a good outlook. However I still stick by my "common knowledge" comment. Obviously there's MUCH more to it than knowing a racecar driver's name or how much to tip, but in my book you have got to be able to hold your own with me as far as my common knowledge goes or you'll prove to be uninteresting to me, and quite frankly, I'll probably prove uninteresting to you too if we can't meet eye to eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenrick285
    I dunno why but when I saw one of his sigs, it just reminded me of this :

Hahaha, that looks like a piss take to [url=http://www.oneposter.com/Category-c-Display-CID-110-PID-876.html]this[/url] series of posters that I have on my wall.
    Thanks for the [url=http://www.despair.com/2005calendar.html]link[/url]!

Quote Originally Posted by sfalexi
    That sounds like a good outlook. However I still stick by my "common knowledge" comment. Obviously there's MUCH more to it than knowing a racecar driver's name or how much to tip, but in my book you have got to be able to hold your own with me as far as my common knowledge goes or you'll prove to be uninteresting to me, and quite frankly, I'll probably prove uninteresting to you too if we can't meet eye to eye.
    Like always, it's a matter of limits. You draw your limit on having some level of common knowledge in common, whereas I am to the degree of hanging around someone who's language I can't even speak. Maybe it's just my love of learning, and the more different a person, the broader my learning can be. But in this we've deviated from intelligence, which was the original question, unless you are calling common knowledge (in the sense of having knowledge in common with yourself) a factor of intelligence.

Freddie

Good point Nomas. Actually, when you think about it, maybe the phrase "common knowledge" is a bit of a misrepresentation. For instance, whatever I personally know, I would automatically (due to the nature of humans subconsciously focusing everything around themselves) assume would be "common knowledge". The reason? Because I know it.

Which reminds me with the Mario Andretti reference. I assume it's common knowledge because I know it. I assume that everyone knows that a "jarhead" or "leatherneck" is a slang term for a marine because I know it. It's just the nature of human beings to be subconsciously self-involved and assume that things revolve around them. So I guess "common knowledge" as a term itself is wrong.

Alexi

Most of the "common knowledge" I know in english-speaking, American culture are references from the movies or TV shows I've seen. That's why I'm so behind in some such knowledges...especially if you only hear a reference a couple of times every now and then..it won't stick...at least not with me. I don't have that kind of memory retention.

Freds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast