Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spicy food?

Quote Originally Posted by asdfg789 View Post
    it's no fun getting old
    It's better than the alternative.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Also, there are different types of spicy. Whatever is in wasabi (which isn't real, btw, its horseradish) and chilis are different. Chili is Capsaicin, which is an antifungicide actually among other things. Not sure the active ingredient(s) in wasabi, I think there is research on this, in fact. If you want to know, look it up.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    wasabi (which isn't real, btw, its horseradish) and chilis are different. Chili is Capsaicin, which is an antifungicide actually among other things. Not sure the active ingredient(s) in wasabi.
    Well, all I know is that wasabi is a Japanese root and it has a strong flavor.... too strong for me to handle
    "It's all George's fault. All that talk about impotence. He got to me. And that orgasm stuff: orgasm this and orgasm that. It's a lot of pressure!" Jerry Seinfeld

Wasabi just releases vapor. If you want to eat a bunch of wasabi without feeling the "spice" at all, just exhale through your mouth after you swallow it.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Also, there are different types of spicy. Whatever is in wasabi (which isn't real, btw, its horseradish) and chilis are different. Chili is Capsaicin, which is an antifungicide actually among other things. Not sure the active ingredient(s) in wasabi, I think there is research on this, in fact. If you want to know, look it up.
    I wanted to know, and I looked it up. The stuff they serve in restaurants is usually made up of horseradish, mustard, and food coloring. The real stuff is hard to grow, and expensive. They serve it in very high-end restaurants only, or it can be bought in specialty stores.

I love horseradish and chilis... chilis have oils that produce a longer burn, though. Horseradish/wasabi mainly stimulates the nasal passages.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiress View Post
    Well, all I know is that wasabi is a Japanese root and it has a strong flavor.... too strong for me to handle
    I doubt you've had the actual root, its actually quite pleasant and mild compared to horseradish-based stuff you get in most Japanese restaurants. Next time, if the stuff you get is too strong, you can dilute the paste with a bit more water. Its made from a powder.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelmakemelol View Post
    Wasabi just releases vapor. If you want to eat a bunch of wasabi without feeling the "spice" at all, just exhale through your mouth after you swallow it.
    I'll have to try this.

@ Vash, yes there are only a few places in the world you can grow real Wasabi outside of Japan. BC was one of the first places to do it, b/c of our rainy mountain climate. Check out the prices:

[url=http://www.wasabia.com/]Fresh Wasabi, Buy Real Wasabi Online | Pacific Coast Wasabi[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I doubt you've had the actual root, its actually quite pleasant and mild compared to horseradish-based stuff you get in most Japanese restaurants. Next time, if the stuff you get is too strong, you can dilute the paste with a bit more water. Its made from a powder.
    I dunno ... dilute the paste..... I have my reputation you know ...
    "It's all George's fault. All that talk about impotence. He got to me. And that orgasm stuff: orgasm this and orgasm that. It's a lot of pressure!" Jerry Seinfeld

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I'll have to try this.

@ Vash, yes there are only a few places in the world you can grow real Wasabi outside of Japan. BC was one of the first places to do it, b/c of our rainy mountain climate. Check out the prices:

[url=http://www.wasabia.com/]Fresh Wasabi, Buy Real Wasabi Online | Pacific Coast Wasabi[/url]
    $70 for 1/2 lb.... I wonder how much of that (pictured) root weighs, and how much paste you can make with it. Don't know that it matters, though. The article I read said that real wasabi loses its flavor rapidly. You have to eat it immediately after preparing it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    $70 for 1/2 lb.... I wonder how much of that (pictured) root weighs, and how much paste you can make with it. Don't know that it matters, though. The article I read said that real wasabi loses its flavor rapidly. You have to eat it immediately after preparing it.
    That's why they powder it and can it. Add water, stir until it's a paste, then let it sit for a little while before eating... 10-15 minutes usually. It IS expensive if you buy a lot, but a tiny can of the stuff is only a few bucks and lasts quite a while as you only use about a half a teaspoon to make paste at a time.

Here's a dissection of one of my testicles. It explains how I can handle so much spice:

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Wasabi is not spicy, at least all the kinds i've tried aren't, it just makes my nose itch.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

.mexican food is not spicy.
    Sorry Bo but yOu are wrong.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Come to my house and I'll prove it.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    Can I come too! I'll bring my homemade Spicy Chocolate Cake as a dessert ....

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    mmm nom nom i would love some spicy mexican food. My friend made me some mexican eggs the other day and it was the spiciest mexican food i'd ever eaten but still not super spicy.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast