+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am a virgin with mental disorders considering sexual activity. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    I guess what I said may come across as condescending, but what I had intended to convey was my thought about how presumptuous and imperative your statement was; rather than suggest the possibility, you seem to authoritatively declare that God exists and that it is some sort of fact that all empirical evidence and thought is simply the expression of a God you again declared to absolutely exist.

Now, as a believer in God, I am not some atheist who finds offense with every mention of God and I accept the possibility of your statement. However, the fact is, your statement left no room for the possibility of the exact opposite.
    I AM an atheist, and I find nothing offensive in it. Usually I just keep my own counsel on the silly superstitions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    rather than suggest the possibility, you seem to authoritatively declare that God exists and that it is some sort of fact that all empirical evidence and thought is simply the expression of a God you again declared to absolutely exist.
    I may have phrased it incorrectly (?), but ^^this^^ was definitely NOT what I meant.

Now, as a believer in God, I am not some atheist who finds offense with every mention of God and I accept the possibility of your statement. However, the fact is, your statement left no room for the possibility of the exact opposite.
    Wow, I never intended it to sound like that o.O. I was just saying that there is a possibility that the laws of physics are the expression of God's work on the universe. Where exactly did I leave no room for the possibility of the opposite? I used the phrase "one could argue that ..." precisely to avoid that "authoritative" interpretation.

I find it stupid when people use science as an exclusive alternative to God (as in, it's either faith OR science). Science explains *how* a lot of things work and evolve, but it doesn't give answers as to *why* they work and evolve the way they do. That's where faith may come into play.

Just for the record, atheism is blind faith as much as theism is. The truth is that we have no way to prove beyond a doubt that God (or whatever) either exists or not.
    Last edited by searock; 25-10-12 at 08:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12