+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no facebook or social media?

for those of us who have lived most of our lives without fb would probably not care.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by wdfadude View Post
    It's been really tough for me. I've had to use social media for years (a website developer and business owner) but Facebook in particular has caused, many, many problems for a few past relationships. If I could get off of Facebook (it's almost next to impossible because I need it to help promote my businesses), I would do it in a split second.
    I know this is obvious but if you use it for business then keep it just for business. Ignore and delete anything that doesn't pertain to your business or set it up so only serious business contacts can comment. My husband has set up one too. I looked at it once....that was enough for me. Maybe it's the type of women you have been dating. There are nice ladies that don't do FB, or care too much about it, (kinda like finding a needle in a hay stack eh) but they are out there.

If I were online dating, it would be one factor in determining if a profile were real, but certainly not a deal-breaker. As for you, you don't need to worry about not having one - nobody fakes male profiles on dating sites.

I used to work for a huge one in the Abuse dept., primarily removing fake profiles.

Going an a paid online dating site is a good deterrent for keeping the riffraff out. People who are willing to pay are people who are more serious in what they are looking for.

With me in online dating, regardless of whether or not the guy has a Facebook or something, I judge the general vibe I get when I talk to the guy. I know it sounds crazy, but that's what I feel a lot of it is. If you pay attention during conversations and notice tiny inconsistencies popping up, then you should know to run the other direction. Also, I google the guys that I talk to. While it may not be the best because that stuff too can be faked, it gives me a little bit of security.

Oh, and I always have something on me for self defense if I go on a first date with someone, just in case. Of course, I don't tell the guy that because if it is an attacker, he knows what to expect. Thankfully, everyone I've gone out with, however, has never put me in a situation where I've had to use it. And I refuse to meet in a non-public setting on the first date.

So, in short, all I'm saying is that this is the internet. There are no real red flags for online dating because anything on the web can be manipulated or faked with the right tools. Just go with your gut and do what you feel you have to in order to make sure you're safe. So, the absence of any social media is irrelevant.

I wish I had never joined fb or any of that other crap! social media sites are being used increasingly more for showing off and bragging than staying in contact with friends. It is also really harming peoples ability to communicate face to face! everyone is so obsessed with their online persona nowadays , finding people who don't have an online profile is refreshing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12