+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are guys so mean?

xo, shh!

(10 char)

Quote Originally Posted by JoGorilla
    you are the voice of all mankind? It seems very shallow of anyone to say that because of several years of perversion, that a symbol that has been around for over 3000 years should just be stricken from our minds. How many Christians are there here? Should the cross be hidden because of several hundred years of oppression against all sorts of people in the name of God? Isn't symbology all relative to who uses it and how they use it? It's like saying that clothes make the person, but that's not true is it?
    Actually, I disagree. If I were walking around wearing a Klu Klux Klan robe, would you still say that clothes DON'T make the man? After all, it's only a dorky robe and hood... If I (a woman) walk into a bar wearing a super low-cut micro-mini dress and high-heeled boots, does not that outfit send an implicit message? Clothes tell you a LOT about the person wearing them. So do symbols. I think your irritation is misplaced. You ought to be annoyed with the Nazi party who corrupted the meaning of your symbol.

but his swastika isnt a nazi symbol. There's a difference between wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and a sheet over your head. I could be just as easily irritated by someone posting a cross up there, but I'm not going to tell them to remove it because it creeps me out.

While I understand that Buddahists, Hindus, American Indians, and who knows who else used the swastika as a positive symbol, no one can pretend that the swastika does not have an equally compelling, sinister connontation after WWII. Sorry, but for me, genocide makes a MUCH larger statement than intangible religious sensitivities. Feel free to ask Christians to remove their crosses if you are bothered by them. They can either choose to be sensitive to you, or not. But I don't think many people find them as offensive as a swastika.

There's a difference between wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and a sheet over your head..
    As I said, clothes DO define the man, because they have symbolic meaning.

"His truth is marching on!"

People who have to be right have always annoyed me. They never take context into account.

Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    "His truth is marching on!"

People who have to be right have always annoyed me. They never take context into account.
    you mean like you two.

So, how long have you had that chip on your shoulder, Jo?

So, how long have you had that chip on your shoulder, Jo?
    I'm not making it personal. I'm illustrating a point. If I wear a t-shirt with the swastika posted here, and you feel disgruntled because you think of Nazi's, does that make me a bad person. I don't see your justification for asking him to remove the picture.

where's frasbee in the midst of this discussion?
    "Ogres are like onions."

Probably sitting back, laughing his ass off...

And you miss my point, Jo. There is no point in trying to "be right" about who's opinion is more correct or incorrect than anyone else's. Nor can anyone have a "right" or "wrong" opinion. Arguing the pros or cons of a purely subjective sentiment does nothing but fuel the fires of dispute; most times to a degree that the original difference in opinion gets lost in winning the argument. (Having a chip on one's shoulder.) I don't need to justify to you or anyone else why the swastika offends me, regardless of it's alternate histories. I just don't care to see it. Many others don't care to either. In fact, it's outlawed in Germany. If Fras doesn't care to be sensitive to the context in which he displays his icons -- this board -- and continues to push into people's faces something they don't want, that's him and he's perfectly free to. I've no argument for or against his doing it. It just offends me and I will tell him so. That you think anyone has to justify their opinion to you, and that you seem to want to argue yours, just makes me think you were proabably a bully in grammar school...or were bullied on a lot. IMHO. Your choice of screen name also makes me wonder if your knuckles may not also drag. (You laughing yet, Fras?)
    Last edited by whaywardj; 28-06-05 at 08:52 AM.

. If I wear a t-shirt with the swastika posted here, and you feel disgruntled because you think of Nazi's, does that make me a bad person.
    Well, since no one can be sure of the meaning YOU attach to it, most would say yes, you are bad. Those who understood your meaning would say you were being perhaps insensitive, and certainly provocative.
    Last edited by shh!; 28-06-05 at 08:53 AM.

Remind me now and again to avoid crossing swords with you, shh! ;-)

Your choice of screen name also makes me wonder if your knuckles may not also drag. (You laughing yet, Fras?)
    I am.

Darn! Under 10 characters...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast