+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: don't text her. call her

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    How do you kids talk to your parents, or do you all still live at home? I look forward to having long telephone converstions with my daughter and appreciate being able to hear her voice and laughter.
    This is actually the only problem - not so much with my parents (they use emails and texts as well since they've long realized us kids weren't so keen on talking on the phone), but with my grandparents. It's probably the only reason I wish I were more comfortable talking over the phone, to keep in contact with them more.

Sea: I realize that young people text too. My point is I enjoy my daughters voice and being able hear her reaction to what I have to say and her laugh when she responds to my very quirky sense of humour ~ so she accomodates me and because of that, she is no longer afraid (or uncomfortable as you put it) to talk on the phone. To me, or to anyone else.. even her husband ~ Oh my.

What about Skype. Are you too shy/uncomfortable/unable to communcate as good as you text when you Skype?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Sea: I realize that young people text too. My point is I enjoy my daughters voice and being able hear her reaction to what I have to say and her laugh when she responds to my very quirky sense of humour ~ so she accomodates me and because of that, she is no longer afraid (or uncomfortable as you put it) to talk on the phone. To me, or to anyone else.. even her husband ~ Oh my.

What about Skype. Are you too shy/uncomfortable/unable to communcate as good as you text when you Skype?
    I have no problems with videochats - when I am away from someone for a prolonged amount of time, I prefer to videochat rather than text. I think it's a lot more natural than phone calls where you can't see the other person's body language and can only hear their voice. I'm not afraid of phone calls , I'm just not comfortable talking on the phone, I end up sounding annoyed and cold. My boyfriend is even worse than me LOL - he sounds downright angry and annoyed every time he's on the phone.

I know that my parents would prefer talking on the phone to texting, we compromise with video-chats.

I take it you have a career where you do not have to interact over the phone with a client or customer or collegue then?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I take it you have a career where you do not have to interact over the phone with a client or customer or collegue then?
    It's different for work - I wouldn't worry about sounding cold, as long as I'm sounding professional. When I've had to use phone calls for work I wasn't uncomfortable as with family members or friends.

Sorry, I'm not getting why talking to loved ones via phone is uncomfortable for you but talking to strangers isnt... and I never will I suppose.. So I'll stop trying to understand at this point.

Ciao for now, Sea.

Well, I still don't like phone calls, even if they're for work. I'd much rather use emails.

I guess the difference is that if it's for work, I don't have to pretend I'm having a good time talking on the phone... I can just say what has to be said. I dunno how to explain :-).

lalalita Guest
    I just make more sense when I write out what I want to say. Phone calls trip me up.

Phone calls trip me up.
    and that is the very reason why you should be using the phone. So that you get used to conversation and relating in the now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12