+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dating advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    Its hard not to get carried away. From thinking our marriage was totally over there is now a little ray of light. She has said i need to prove myself to her. Would you advise i step back a little and stop texting/calling. Or do i carry on the same , trying to show her that i have changed for the better. I really dont want to blow it . Im willing to give her all the time she needs. I know it wont be a quick fix.
    My suggestion is that you call her (no texting) when you want to set up another date. Give her something to look forward to. Texting is superficial and won't help you to get her to bond to you like she did when you were first together and before you took her for granted.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Well, that was a really important step. Trust me, as a woman, it makes us nuts if we feel we've told you what's wrong, and you still ignore it. So, great job there.

One thing you can do that would speak VOLUMES about your commitment to change, is to start seeing a therapist (and tell your wife, of course). Tell her that you realize you have some flaws, and you know you need help in sorting them out. Believe me - she will be over the moon at this, because it is SO damn hard to get a man to any kind of a doctor - let alone a shrink. Bonus: it actually really WILL help you.

Anyhow, you've said this is what caused the separation:

Took her for granted, never listened to her and put friends before her and my children

So, you know what you need to do. I wouldn't back off the contact, because that dismissiveness is what caused the rift. Continue to co-parent, take a sincere interest in her day - don't just call to ask how the kids are, call to ask how she's feeling and doing. Ask her on another date, plan something special as a family, ask how you can help with the kids...take them one day and send your wife to a spa for the afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    That, you ninny is putting pressure on her. lolz

She asked that he give her time and he stopped putting pressure on her after that, BY NOT CONTINUING TO TALK TO HER about the relationship in general.

I'm surprised at your lack of understanding of a woman who isn't on the same page as her pursuer.
    Ninny? LMAO. What are you, 11?

Saying she needs more time was about getting back together - not in reference to him bringing it up. If you've ever been in a relationship and tried to reconcile, you'd understand this. You clearly don't know what it's like when a man tries to fight for you. I hope one day you find out.

lmao. I've been in a 35 year relationship and believe me... in a span like that, you get to a point where one or the other takes the other for granted. Have you read Indie's sticky on the stages of marriage, longterm? Have you read any of what I've advised about getting that passion for one another back on track?

When you've been through something serious as three decades and managed to keep the connection strong, I can see two sides of most anything by now.

He put pressure on her... by just talking about the relationship. That IMO should have waited (as I told him earlier) until she is showing him that she's trusting him NOT to revert back to his old ways.

I'll add its not a huge deal what he did but if he had not brought it up at all, there would be zero pressure on her to reciprocate what he is so obviously longing for. If she's not there yet, then the more he tells and the more he pushes her, the harder she is likely to push back... at this point. I think it's best he show her in actions right now, actions are where his truth lay.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 05-08-13 at 02:29 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12