+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is he too good to be true?

Too good to be true? Good situations always SEEM that way if you had bad experiences before. You have to take people on a case by case basis. A man that cares for someone is pretty rare but not "too good to be true". "too good..." would be if some perfect guy living in Nigeria wants to send you a million dollars.
    What you need to think about is if he wants to get real serious. How far would YOU like it to maybe go? If he were not serious about wanting to date and not just a booty call, he would not be buying flowers/perfume/etc.

He might be an old fashioned romantic. Don't blow it and don't question things. If you do, he will be confused and start to worry. Once you give someone a solid reason to worry about the stability of the relationship, things go downhill. Yeah people can speculate and dream up their own reason to worry but if the other partner has not done anything (like express their own concerns) then it will be fine.

There are a lot of assholes in the world. Too many people who just want to bed-hop. Too many people who want to date but are holding out for "Perfect" or just don't want to make any effort (which is why dating sites exist). this guy is making an effort. I still think he is being a "Nice Guy" but maybe he is genuine.
    I am jealous.
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

He seems like a nice guy - But don't we all act nice at the start?

it's later on in the relationship where you will see the real him.

but going from what you've said, it seems like you have someone you like, and someone who likes you. Take it steady, don't jump too fast and go with the flow. Who knows, he could well be the perfect guy and not "too good to be true".

I'm a nice guy, and i get shit on quite a lot. I think that's more down to the girls I fall for more than anything though, They end up seeing someone else who treats them like shit, they're miserable but for some reason stay with him, yet kick the good guy to the gutter.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRomantic View Post
    I'm a nice guy, and i get shit on quite a lot. I think that's more down to the girls I fall for more than anything though, They end up seeing someone else who treats them like shit, they're miserable but for some reason stay with him, yet kick the good guy to the gutter.
    That seems to be the problem I have. Im a good person, i believe i treat people right yet always get taken advantage of. I think im naive.

I think I will take my chances with him, but i will definitley protect myself this time around. I think he is a good person. Hes been mistreated in the past. cheated on etc and he says he wouldnt put someone through the things he has gone through so maybe he is genuine.

Thank you to everyone for their advise. i am going to take everything into consideration and proceed carefully. If he starts to change how he is now I will listen to the warnings. Hopefully i'll be able to report back somewhere down the line that its all worked out we shall see...

What you're describing is called "waiting for the other shoe to drop" or more properly a trauma response to abuse. Abuse isn't just physical - that's the gross aspect of abuse. It's also emotional, mental, economic and sexual.

The cycle of violence describes the phenomenon perfectly:

This is most likely what will happen if you stay with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otG4G1xI39U

... lol ...
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by anastasis View Post
    This is most likely what will happen if you stay with him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otG4G1xI39U
    HA HA HA HA HA HY AH AH AH HA HA!
    EH HEM! I think I dated that guy
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12