+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club Season 3 - The Prestige! Watch and review!

I couldn't access the website yesterday at all because of an error code ~ anyone else?

Borden & Fallon were actual twins right? Not a clone he made off Tesla's machine when he met Tesla first? & he just kept his clone to work with him or was he an actual twin & they made that clear to us in the movie? Because now I am wondering was it a blood relative or a created version and why followed the other sometimes blindly. If was the case then Borden was a better man because he didn't kill like Angier repeatedly did with his copies. The scene where he first goes through Tesla's machine and sees the clone in front of him and without thinking shoots & kills him & the clone screams No was sad.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Yeah, I was having the same problem. That was weird.

Anyway, you actually bring up a really good point that hadn't occurred to me. I mean, I guess they never came out and SAID it. However, I assumed they were just twin brothers who chose to share one life to protect their professional secret. Angier did even guess as much at the very end... though, they never really said for sure. I suppose it is entirely possible that, rather than twin brothers, one of the Bordens actually was just a clone.

I will say this. Tesla gave the impression he was building his machine for the very first time, which if true would imply that he certainly had not helped Borden to clone himself. Again, though, this movie was all about secrets that were deeply hidden and about keeping the audience second guessing... so who knows?

Good point, breathe -- never even considered the other might have been a clone. Makes me want to go back and re watch to see if I can spot definite clues as to which it was. Some things in the film were confusing as shit, but how they planned it --could be another reason previously discussed in this thread as to why he never told his wife about his twin brother because it actually wasn't his twin and how the fck does he explain cloning himself lmao to her.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

^^ That's a thought I never thought when I saw the movie... adds a new pov if so... did anyone else like Hugh Jackman's character ( how he acted his role) the best over Bale's? I did. *pops back out of your guys discussion*

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] - I really enjoyed Hugh Jackman's role in this. He is far more expressive in his acting, maybe more range IDK but he really soared with his part. I felt for him like Jester said earlier because he went obsessed and crazy after Borden or Fallon killed his wife. IDK if on purpose or by accident I somehow think which ever tied that tight secure knot knew she wouldn't get out of it though and I also felt for Fallon's ( who knows I am confused again lol) wife who killed herself because the other twin said things coldly to her and her husband never told her what really was going on.

I still for some reason think Fallon and Borden were twins but if they were actually clones that fills in some plot lines mysteries and gaps, doesn't it. He was scared when Angier buried him, like he loved him, so that makes me think he was his actual blood. Then on the other hand why hide his brother in disguise from his own wife and daughter.
    Last edited by megvoh; 12-06-16 at 09:00 AM.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

This movie was a good one, megvoh ~ because even after watching & thinking you got it all worked out, you just might not have seen all as it actually was. Similar to a good magic trick, well done to the director and actors.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] ~ I liked the character with the wife & daughter twin/clone character the most, then Micheal Caine and then Hugh Jackman.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

To be honest, I equally felt bad for both Angier and Borden.... and yet also didn't at the same time. I equally enjoyed and hated them both. LOL! Because everything that drove them apart as colleagues in the first place (I wouldn't really say they were ever friends) is both heart-breaking and understandable that it would have such a profound effect on them.

Yet at the same time, they just COULD NOT let it go and move on. Instead they choose not only to ruin their own lives.... but to also ruin those of the few loved ones they had. The few people who actually truly cared about them. To some degree, you can understand their hurt, their anger, their suffering.... but then they choose to allow it to consume them rather than to get through it and move past it. In the end, three lives are lost that wouldn't have had to be lost. One of the Bordens, the shared wife of the Bordens, and Angier himself. Since I'll never know true love, I suppose I cannot fully understand the feeling of having that and having it stolen from you much too soon, but I know hurt, I know loss. I think we all do.

We all have to face tough times, and we either let them destroy us, or we move on with our lives as best we can. What's worse, they weren't content to simply suffer alone. At least then maybe loved ones would see their suffering and try to help. Maybe there would have been hope. But instead they were both obsessed with forcing the other to suffer as well. They became consumed with revenge and therefore lost the chance to live their own lives.

So, you sort of can't help but, in equal parts, feel for both characters while also kind of hating both characters as well. LOL! Interesting dichotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by dollhouse View Post
    ^^ That's a thought I never thought when I saw the movie... adds a new pov if so... did anyone else like Hugh Jackman's character ( how he acted his role) the best over Bale's? I did. *pops back out of your guys discussion*
    I'd probably go with enjoying Bale's double performance the most -- even though Jackman does get first credit in the cast list for the movie.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I had that feeling of holding onto a grudge too long ~ felt it poisoning me the longer I held onto it & the film really shows how badly that hatred can consume & destroy you & not only hatred for another but hatred of yourself & guilt like I think Angier carried over his wifes death.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

He should have Let It Go lol worked on his craft and became the best magician in the world with out the use of that damn machine.

He kept drowning himself ( version created of..) himself as a sick tribute to his wifes death and probably a constant reminder of just how much he hated Borden, like he needed to keep that hate alive, to keep himself going forward.

Did he even care about Scarlett's character or was she just another tool to get to Borden? because if he cared for her why the continued obsession against Borden.

Name:  200_s.gif
Views: 66
Size:  25.4 KB

LOL!

Honestly, I think it is pretty safe to say he didn't care about Olivia (Scarlett Johansson's character) one bit. He was too selfish, and too consumed by his hate and want of revenge, to appreciate her. To really even notice her. God, I'd cut off my right arm to have Scarlett Johansson vying for my attention. LOL! The lucky jerk, and he couldn't appreciate it.

It's both sad and infuriating at the same time. Sad because you can see this promising, talented guy who could have been a great man allowing his life to be destroyed by his hate. Infuriating because he just WILL NOT let go and allow himself to heal and move on. So, to a pretty large degree, it is his own fault. Don't get me wrong. I can't blame him entirely for his anger and his hurt. He has a darn good reason.... but at some point you need to let yourself move on and heal.

Hell, if nothing else wouldn't he think his wife would want him to be happy? Instead, he allows himself to be consumed by it and ruins his own life as well as that of anybody around him unfortunate enough not to get themselves out of the way in time. The man she once loved is gone. So, in a way, it's almost like he killed that man. How appropriate that, in the end of the movie, he literally did just that.... killing his own clone over and over again.

I watched the movie several weeks ago but only now able to come online to discuss it with the rest of you. Since I am hitting the cut off end of the review time I will keep my post briefer than my normal reviews. But if asked questions by megvoh, whose movie was chosen to review or TheEvilJester I will come back and discuss further but want to add my review so megvoh and TheEvilJester doesn't have to wait on me to do my part with reviewing.

I truly enjoyed this film, it was stylish and magical ( not just because of the story involving magic but also the way it was filmed, acted and how thrilling it was was to see the twists in it and wondering who would survive at the end, which man would be victorious)

I agree with others in reading some of the posted replies that the right Borden lived and it was only fitting that Angier died in the end, I think in some part of him he knew the way he was conducting himself it was not to end well for him, even though clones he chose to dispose - remove each of them instead of keeping and training one to partner him and his act. I sat and wondered how much of his fortune did he squander in trying to be the best and destroy Borden/Fallon. he was a fool, so was Borden in his own same and different ways. Pride, Jealousy and Revenge all played its part.

I didn't like how not one female character was treated with any real importance, they were all expendable, Angier's wife killed( murdered?), Borden's wife( suicide), and His daughter and Olivia were only treated and used as pawns.

I also did not think Borden and Fallon were clones, but blood relatives even though I don't recall, but perhaps it was said or implied in the film I just didn't pick up on it being told to us outright. Just sort of assumed, until you see Angier creating and creating and creating many doubles of himself.

I enjoyed the mystery that the film created and the era depicted, costumes all of it. It was somewhat of a character as well.

No slouches in any of the actors, actresses involved, nicely cast and acted by each and I like not have too tidy of endings where everything is handed to you. I agree the film had its flaws but not too many that I wouldn't enjoy a second viewing at some point.

I would rate this movie possibly a 9 out of 10. I think it would have been wonderful to actually seen it on the big cinema screen over the little screen because of the cinematography.

I think Jackman and Bale did equally wonderful turns with their characters, and Caine played a great mentor to both and a aide in ending the game as well.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] my favorite was also Hugh Jackman's character. There seemed to be a bit more meat to his, or levels I guess. Plus I enjoy most of his movies and like his real life persona where Bale's is less desirable to me, his real life persona.. so that sometimes muddies the waters for me. Unfairly, even I see that but it does happen and I can't deny it. Plus I kept rooting for Angier to come to his senses and stop all his thirst for revenge, it won't bring his wife back and was ruining him.

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] ... I feel similar I think of H. J. as this great overall person, citizen of the world, husband and father and that automatically makes me love what ever performance he gives us and I see C. B. as a bad boy ... hothead at times and that carries over as you said. Both great actors but one shines more as a person.

Yay, topaz is back.
    [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION], where are you? Have you watched this yet, it's been a month?

I also agree with you, topaz that the women were basically afterthoughts mostly, only Angier's wife and her death pushed the story line.

Is it wrong I enjoy Bale's sex appeal much more than Jackman's so because of that I find him more attractive, would I want to marry him, no lol plus he's a Brit so, I am obligated lol j/k

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast