+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club- Season 4 - Weekend At Bernies ( Reviewing Thread)

Thought I'd put in a mini review now because this weekend is so hectic for me with family in town and another wedding happening. This won't be a long review but I can always come back and discuss it with the rest of you again

[MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION] .. I am that type of girl you mentioned. Love Andrew McCarthy in Pretty in Pink, St Elmos Fire, Fresh Horses. Haha *gets wet*!!

Reason why I enjoy this movie is for him and the fact that it is just plain nonsense and silliness and I love that don't need anything to watch and get some enjoyment out of this... They wanted to do good, get ahead at work and catch the bosses eye and boy did they so much so he wanted to knock them off Haha..poor guys! They were a good team of buddies in the movie..grade A chemistry between them. Some of the scenes I enjoyed the most were at the beach house, on route to it, at it and trying to escape it with Bernie's corpse haha I didn't like the big party scene only because it was too much dumb for one scene, not one guest figured anything out and even the boys were dumbfounded by that. The hit man was funny and most of his scenes, the way he acted with his eyes was great too, haha that guy and Bernie were the funniest ones to me. I didn't like the mistress any of her scenes, too annoying to listen too and why bump Bernie off, for her? Even Bernie wanting to kill his employees was stupid.

The scene that made me laugh was when he floated up to them doing their from here to eternity scene in the water and when the child held the gun on them in the beach house haha and when they were vacuuming Bernie and his toupee comes off.

Movie is dumb but there is still a gentleness and naivety and sweetness about it... I would go as far as to give it a 6/10.

Who was all of yours favorite and least favorite character or characters?

Favorites were: Larry and the hitman

Least Favorite : Mob guys gf

Quote Originally Posted by Jffs24 View Post
    McCarthy was in it to draw all the teeny boopers who got wet off him in that Pretty in Pink, and his other teen based movies
    This comment also resembles me ;-] Check out my movie for season 3 hehehe < stands alongside dollhouse with our pink hair ~ homemade prom dresses and pictures of Andrew McCarthy> hehehe

- - - Updated - - -

I went into it already liking a actor in the movie so that is an automatic win for me enjoying at least his part in the movie regardless if the rest of it sucks! ~ But it was decently funny in parts, over the top, YEPS! But they are dragging around a dead guy so how serious acting can it ever get to be. Wish the soundtrack music was better in it, for an eigthies movie the music wasn't good, or I am just being picky? AM I BEING PICKY & why am I yelling at you, shhh. ;] Don't get why he didn't just fire the two guys why first thought kill them.
    Larry's lines were the funniest, when he thought his weekend bite the dust because Bernie croaked :-] and when he was made to be the one getting the sex change in the suicide note hehehe
    Liked the romantic side story,m wasn't really needed but soften the dumbness and gave that character some moments.

All the the times they took Bernie out of the beach house I lol'd ~ golf cart, and boat and his beach landing at the end of the movie. Just dumb fun and nothing wrong with being silly. If story had some message it was maybe about trying to do the right thing and friendship.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] ~ Fav char : Larry
    ~ Least fav char : Bernie ( lol) was a horrible person didn't care he got off'd did anyone else?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Thought I'd add some pics from the movie that I liked.

- - - Updated - - -

(≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Yay! There's three more reviews in, taking us to five so far, I'll give my thoughts today ( 6 with mine) was waiting for a few more to roll in and we all could discuss, rip, laugh at whatever about the movie together.
    Still awaiting blood's, pc's and I think Exeter said he'd be back with other thoughts again.

OMFG this movie was so ridiculous they basically dragged him around the beach and beach house the whole second half of the movie after they found him dead at his beach house. Thump! Bang! Bump! I agree with whomever said previously above me that it was a very dated movie, some movies can pass the test of time and some can't. Maybe with these types of comedies it makes it harder but I think this is suppose to be one of those cult classic American comedies, is it not? I enjoyed some of the humour, most real low brow tho. Tough to get ahead when your boss wants to kill you lol and his boss or whatever that mob guy was he was reporting back to was wants to kill your boss as well. I agree that party where all flooded in from the floating party into Bernie's house. Bernie seemed like an ass-shat not the type to welcome all these people into his home, so seemed off, didn't it to have that and none of the floating party saw he wasn't replying to any of them, that is dumb, I know part of the comedy highjinx but omfg morons all of them. I also agree Bernie was so un-likeable you never cared what happened to him, was more like disrespect his death MOAR! and of course they did just that. The office romance was forced and I thought she was going to end up being Bernie's niece or something because I felt that she might have had a secret too, but nothing came of it. I'd give a 4/10 and say the buddy movie concept was what made it work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollhouse View Post
    Who was all of yours favorite and least favorite character or characters?

Favorites were: Larry and the hitman

Least Favorite : Mob guys gf
    I think my favorite was - The straight man of the duo - Richard and his dad lol in the one scene.
    Least favorite was - The mistress/mob guys Gf ( the same as you disliked, dollhouse and then of course Bernie - himself)

- - - Updated - - -

Since dollhouse asked about favorite and least favorite characters. I'll ask what was your favorite and least favorite scenes, what made you LOL and what made you say FFS!

My favorite scene would be when they take him out of the speedboat lol
    Least favorite would be that party scene. Just didn't work for laughs more for groans and like I say FFS's.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] - you mentioned that you thought the beach house looked like an office building I never thought until reading you say that that yes it did.
    Read article on movie and they said that beach house was made from scratch specially for the movie and because the area was a wildlife area they had to dismantle and leave no trace of it after filming.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

oops there then with the gif, theeviljester. i've never seen the second bernie's movie and watched the first when i was maybe 15. sorry, megvoh, i'm not much for reviewing but will answer some of the questions you and dollhouse asked of posters above though, hope that is good enough. probably better than not posting anything at all. also i think a lot of "bernie's" physical comedy was done by a stuntman.

favorite character would be the hitman sent to kill bernie and his then reaction to seeing bernie moving around after drug/killing him previously. his reactions were the funniest.

least favorite would be the dull sidekick the one you liked best, megvoh.

favorite scenes would be again with the hitman when he returns to finish his job when he thinks bernie isn't actually dead.

least favorite any of the romance it was out of place and didn't give the movie anything and the long wait for them to get to the beach house too.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

That's okay, Exeter19. Like topazlight like said to us before there is not set amount you need to write to review and I appreciate any replies on the movie, short or long, so all cool by little ole me.

Why did you find Richard your least favorite? In the article I read about the movie they said that Andrew McCarthy was suppose to have the Richard role but he preferred the Larry role more.
    Sounds like on paper he felt it wouldn't be as interesting to him.
    I liked him because he was the calm in the center of the storm and the one looking for love too.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

Back to discuss if anyone is online now, I see megvoh was recently on... I'll think on the question you asked above, megvoh and thanks to you, Exeter19 and breathe123 for replying to the question I posed.

Let me think which scene did I enjoy the most and the least from Weekend At Bernie's...

I mentioned in my review posts a few scenes I liked, I liked the child scaring them with the gun sneaking around the corner of the sofa inside his beach house, the scene where they take off his toupee and all the scenes they fool people into thinking Bernie is still alive, those including fooling the hit man who actually killed him into believing he did his job poorly haha... I didn't like anything with the mob girlfriend, or at the huge party scene only because it was so stupid that not one person even clued in he wasn't alive...but I guess that is the point of this kind of movie, dumb people are the norm and you should just go with expecting stupid scenarios as normal behaviors.

Looks like one of those sick American movies. Doubt I will watch this.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] ~ whole point is that it is a crappy movie & you watch to tell everyone about how crappy it is or not. This round was shitty movies, some good/bad, some just rotten bad ones. ;-]

Just watch the YT clips that sums up most of the movie if you don't want to watch actual movie, you use YT you told us so. So easy since you open website anyhow.

Here ~
    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=weekend+at+bernie%27s+best+clips

I didn't hate the movie but it wasn't a movie I'd repeat watch LOL Wasn't even one I knew about before this.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

OK watched the clips and its sick as I expected. Really not worth to watch whole thing.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] ~ whole point is that it is a crappy movie & you watch to tell everyone about how crappy it is or not. This round was shitty movies, some good/bad, some just rotten bad ones. ;-]

Just watch the YT clips that sums up most of the movie if you don't want to watch actual movie, you use YT you told us so. So easy since you open website anyhow.

Here ~
    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=weekend+at+bernie%27s+best+clips

I didn't hate the movie but it wasn't a movie I'd repeat watch LOL Wasn't even one I knew about before this.

But you were a Andrew McCarthy fangirl from his PIP days

I liked the.. he's my butler scene too.. I read the man who plays his shirtless in the kitchen dad was actually the films director haha

Quote Originally Posted by megvoh View Post
    That's okay, Exeter19. Like topazlight like said to us before there is not set amount you need to write to review and I appreciate any replies on the movie, short or long, so all cool by little ole me.

Why did you find Richard your least favorite? In the article I read about the movie they said that Andrew McCarthy was suppose to have the Richard role but he preferred the Larry role more.
    Sounds like on paper he felt it wouldn't be as interesting to him.
    I liked him because he was the calm in the center of the storm and the one looking for love too.
    i felt his role was the least interesting, as always the more rational reasonable character is always the one you find the least interesting in oddball comedies like this one. he like the girl he was interested in were the sane ones in the movie. to me that tends to make them less memorable. i bet mccarthy saw a juicer role in larry's character and why he wanted to swap out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollhouse View Post

I liked the.. he's my butler scene too.. I read the man who plays his shirtless in the kitchen dad was actually the films director haha
    that's an interesting movie tidbit, dollhouse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    OK watched the clips and its sick as I expected. Really not worth to watch whole thing.
    lmao, [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]. what would you rate it off what you did see? a 1/10?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] ~ I love Pretty in Pink so much! so for me as probably same for you that gave us two an extra something to like in this silly comedy.

I will go back & watch clips I linked pcmaster because I think one was the father clip was one of them knowing now that is the director, hehehe like Hitchcock placing himself into his own movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Having time to waste ~ I found a pic of him off a website :] in case others forgot what he looked like.

GOD DAMN! that image is HUGE :[ Sorry if it slows down anybodies browsers.

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering what you mean by sick, pcmaster? ~ Because he's dead? More disrespectful of the dead but bernie was a m'fer as a person & if you watched the movie he actually called the two guys over to his beach house to kill them & like a good dose of karma he got killed first. So who cares if they drag his dead self around he was a terrible human being & doesn't really deserve much respect, I read description of Bernie's 2 and they use voodoo to bring him back to life HEHEHE I won't be watching that one EVER!

Anyone else feel the same? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Haha.. on that photo. That director has guts to do that role and do it sans shirt haha I thought his comeback was hilarious and one of the funnier scenes in the movie.

Sorry some didn't enjoy the movie but it did follow the rules provided in picking a stupid, dumb movie and of course it will be horrid and distasteful but that isn't only done in American movies so not sure why the generalization that was made...I also didn't care that Bernie was murdered and played with to pretend he was alive afterwards he was not a good man in any way and was very loathsome.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I can enjoy a stupid movie when I go in with the proper expectations. Honestly, I feel bad for anybody who can't. This movie was very enjoyable in its own way, but not if you go into it expecting a "good" movie, or if you are a picky movie snob. Don't get me wrong, this movie isn't for everybody. I'm not saying that anybody who doesn't even give it a chance is a movie snob. Stupid for the sake of stupid isn't some people's cup of tea.

To me personally, though, there is a big difference between so stupid it is fun and so stupid it is just stupid. To me, this fell under the umbrella of "so stupid it is fun." In fact, enough that I actually DID go ahead and watch the sequel. For the record, the main characters don't bring him back using voodoo, the movie's new villains do. Also, the villains screw up the voo doo spell, so he doesn't actually come back to life, his body just reanimates and dances when he hears music.

YES, it is EXACTLY as stupid as it sounds, but again, is stupid in a fun way in my personal opinion. Both of the Weekend at Bernie's movies are not meant to be taken seriously AT ALL, so if you aren't the type to enjoy a movie that is well aware that it is a stupid movie and runs with it, then they are definitely not for you.

Frankly, dollhouse, you shouldn't apologize at all. A) We all vote on which movie to watch and not everybody is going to like every movie. B) We made it VERY clear that the point of this round was to intentionally pick a bad movie. In my personal opinion, this wound up going much better for us than it could have. We wound up with a movie from the "so bad it's good" category rather than the just "so bad it's God awfully bad" category. LOL!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast