+ Follow This Topic
Page 203 of 364 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 5451

Thread: What you enjoyed today

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    I know, I get it. doppel needs a regular smack in the face with a tightly rolled newspaper though. I enjoy joking as much as the next person, but doppel began to cross a line.
    Don't smack me too hard. I am very fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Beowulf could be interpreted as a Christ figure. I read the story before, I have to read it in OE now, though. I don't like professors that don't give students a chance to iterate their perspectives. My prof is like this - she said it's a literature survey class and that she will be lecturing every day. No papers or anything. Just quizzes EVERY DAY.

I hate classes that are just lecture classes. I read it in Old English to...its really not hard to understand or follow....I think the hardest thing about reading it was like everybody has the same name with 1-2 letters mixed around.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I hate classes that are just lecture classes. I read it in Old English to...its really not hard to understand or follow....I think the hardest thing about reading it was like everybody has the same name with 1-2 letters mixed around.
    Are you sure it wasn't Middle English? Old English is not comprehensible to a native speaker of modern English. In fact, it's kind of like German. It's written in runic, normally, but luckily, my text uses the Latin script. Example:
    Ácnæwest þu Ænglisc?

Yeah, it ****in' sucks. Thank God this is only one of 3 that will be read in OE.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 03-09-10 at 06:45 AM.

Fras knocking me off my high horse. I need it sometimes.

Are you sure it wasn't Middle English? Old English is not comprehensible to a native speaker of modern English. In fact, it's kind of like German. It's written in runic, normally, but luckily, my text uses the Latin script. Example:
    Ácnæwest þu Ænglisc?

Yeah, it ****in' sucks. Thank God this is only one of 3 that will be read in OE.
    Nope it was Old English...one of my BAs is classic cultures....personally I think its harder to speak than read....but I think that with most languages....reading is easy.

I also took a really fun Irish mythology class...well I thought it was fun but I'm a nerd. We didn't have to learn Old Irish but it was cool to hear since my prof read some stuff to us....but we got everything translated.
    Last edited by dewilliams2; 03-09-10 at 07:38 AM.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i told a patient that was headed off to hospice via ambulance that her daughter would meet her on the other side. (I meant "of the valley", but didn't say that.) Thank god the poor woman was lethargic. I doubt she understood me.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    Its not to bad...I had an argument with my prof though because I said Beowulf was a Christ figure and he said Beowulf wasn't. I hated that guy...he was like 12...shouldn't be allowed to teach a college class if all you can muster is a dirt stache.
    Beowulf could be interpreted as a Christ figure. I read the story before, I have to read it in OE now, though. I don't like professors that don't give students a chance to iterate their perspectives. My prof is like this - she said it's a literature survey class and that she will be lecturing every day. No papers or anything. Just quizzes EVERY DAY.
    Yeah, and Don Corleone is a God-figure.

Are you guys reading Beowulf, or smoking it? I mean, we had some mind-twisting drugs going around campus in my day, but whatever you fellows are on beats all of that.
    When in trouble,
    Or in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't get the Christ figure comparison, either. Care to elaborate?

In other news, I'm diving pretty heavily into the dating game. Seeing one girl tomorrow, another the day after and still another next weekend.

Today I bought myself a fresh set of duds. I'm going for a more mature look, considering the girls I'm dating are actually within a couple years of my age for the first time since I graduated college. Ahem. So I got a pair of leather loafers, some black slacks and a kick-ass gray striped shirt. I look sophistimacated. I figure if I forgo the tie and leave the top buttons of my shirt undone just enough to display a few wisps of dark chest hair and if I allow a few black bristles to blue my jaw I'll offset the fancy-pants outfit enough to get my personality across without looking like an overgrown teenager.

I also picked up a pair of Lucky Brand jeans because I can't get over the goddamn zipper. Nothing I love more than watching that grin spread across a cutie's lips as she unzips my fly and reads, "Aren't you lucky?" I'm willing to pay a premium to a company that injects a little humanity into its products.
    Last edited by Gribble; 03-09-10 at 01:21 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Hitch or Marley and Me

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Doppel have you read it before? I don't want to ruin anything if you haven't read it cause part of my argument for him being a Christ figure will give away the ending.

@Chump...I love the Godfather...it is a perfect movie....I assume your talking about Micheal Corleone and not his father...and while I think you were bein sarcastic you could compare him to Christ as well.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just had a party with my old childhood friend and other friend, they were so fun and so nice to my bf. We had so much fun together,left really good impression on him I also met my other childhood friend in the club, that I didn't see for 7 years ,I had a long talk with her . This evenning was so nice , didn't have so much fun since a long time. It was so good to meet old faces, have fun like in old times and made me really,really happy They deffinitely made up for a crappy region that i come from, where there is nothing special to see Hhahaa they even ordered a song for my bf and were speaking english and trying to speak french to him That was cool
    I wazzzz here

I've been meaning to do this for some time, now, but I finally corrected all the issues with my desktop computer after the PSU failure months ago. Everything is working just fine with the replacement power supply, but if it fails again, I am going to buy a custom replacement low profile unit. I also installed the 320gb hd that my friend gave me and I am using that as a backup and a sandbox for programming.
    Learning [url=http://learnyouahaskell.com/starting-out#ready-set-go]how to code like me[/url] will also give you my social success with Lahnna.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i must agree, his sister is very pretty.
    for a second there i thought you were implying that lahnna was a guy. i was thinking, woooah there.
    then i read it properly
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

oh NOW i understand why doppelgaenger has the E after the A. took a while to realize. learn something new every day
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i think we might as well change the name of the forum to Nick'sForum, since he is the only with control over it. Our so-called moderators might as well turn in their badges.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj