+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever...?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Look, you don't even know me.

It seems its always the race about who is better, who has done more, no matter the topic.

Oh, and I wasn't talking about people in particlular. And as i see you have failed to see my point, there is no reason for asking another questions, I already got the answer. Whats wrong with making a thread, it wasn't even bitching, all i did was asking a simple question, and you are here to answer it. Did your life collapse because of this thread or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    You know what helped me through depression? Its not the thought 'its the others', it was the thought that me too am in this chainring and I can make a difference. Even by making this thread I already made a difference because somebody is probably reading it and thinking about it. This is the way how moral grows.
    No, I'm just calling you out on your shit. This act you put on to suggest you're the poor soul who bears the weight of the world. Like you're the only one who truly "cares" to understand all of the injustice.

You're part of the "chainring" of people who have all these fantastic and admirable ideas, and little more. You think you made a difference with this thread? Just because somebody in a far away land nods their head and says "Yeah! I agree with that!", right before they run out to Starbucks for a latte? Everybody and their mother are on-line revolutionaries.

I myself am disappointed in my lack of effort in continuing my service the past 6 months, though that may change soon.

And you know what? Why not let it be a race? Maybe then people would feel some striving force to do something good?

Maybe then people wouldn't sit at home feeling so small and hopeless in this societal machine. In fact, it only makes sense that some of the craziest, and idealistic people I've ever met, were volunteers. People that would work straight months at a time because they too felt all the perceived injustices, and would run themselves into the ground trying to right all the wrongs. I can't say they always succeeded.

Many have given up, or toned down their level of commitment. Sometimes the victories are short lived, or sometimes they didn't stick around long enough to see the fruits of their labor. But more often than not, they made a difference to someone.

It doesn't end, and it never will, just like many things in this life, but since when did that keep people from trying, anyway?

So how about this, why don't you stop crying and being depressed, and go do something about it, and stop wasting your energy trying to show people something they're already aware of? It's like trying to "raise awareness" about breast cancer.

Why should I be ashamed of being human when I didn't make that choice myself?

anachronistic Guest
    I'd like to do some work in Russia and Africa. Maybe I'll get the opportunity with my college some summer.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    You mean your real life friends? Or the people on the forums?
    just people in general.. i'm surrounded by idiots.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I get angry when I hear about efforts in the US to bring educational materials to places in rural China and shit like that. How about helping people in our own country first? Those bastards aren't sending help to rural Mississippi, and here some assholes are in this country helping THEM preferentially? Leave and die

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wish I lived in the Third Reich, I would have helped the Axis bring the world to its knees

Maybe I'll be around for WW3

anachronistic Guest
    The 4th Reich!!! ohnos!!!111

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I get angry when I hear about efforts in the US to bring educational materials to places in rural China and shit like that. How about helping people in our own country first? Those bastards aren't sending help to rural Mississippi, and here some assholes are in this country helping THEM preferentially? Leave and die
    While I understand your sentiment, the truth, as always, is somewhat more in the middle:

[url]http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-09/08/content_476014.htm[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    No, I'm just calling you out on your shit. This act you put on to suggest you're the poor soul who bears the weight of the world. Like you're the only one who truly "cares" to understand all of the injustice.
    These are your words. I am not even going to answer this.
    Don't expect anything.

Tedel Guest
    The only ashaming thing I find in mankind is how easily they buy stupid tales...

"buy this and you'll be happier!"
    "buy this and you'll change the world!"
    "I'll make a difference, come follow me!"

crap.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't find her on youtube, but Dar Williams has a great song about this called 'Bought & Sold'

And We're Heading For A Nasty Business, Keeps Our Country Growing
    Where The Weapons That We're Selling Are The Only Seeds We're Sowing
    You Get To Blow The Fruits Of All Your Labors
    Sell F-16'S To All The Neighbors

And You Can Say They're Out To Hunt You
    You Can Say They're Out To Fish You
    You Can Join A Gang Of Restless Boys
    Or Start Your Own Militia
    You Can Even Say Your Violence Is All Your Own
    It's Bought And Sold, It's Bought And Sold

If you want to listen, try here:

[url]http://www.last.fm/music/Dar+Williams/_/Bought+and+Sold?autostart[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Alexander Zolzhenitsyn had an interesting paragraph which I think is somewhat close to this subject matter:

There is an illusion out there that in existance are two kinds of people, the good ones and the evil ones. The good ones only do good and evils ones only do the evil deeds and the only thing to do to make the world a better place is to find the evil ones and eliminate them. But the line seperating the good and evil crosses the heart of every human being and who will destroy a piece of their own heart?

During a course of a lifetime this line moves around ones heart, sometimes delighted by evil, sometimes freed by growing good. The same person, in different situations and different ages can be completely different. But the name remains the same and we often identify that name with unproportional good or unproportional evil.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123