+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In love with a girl who has a BF

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    As to my personal situation ... I was in between. I was engaged years ago but my relationship was ended by an act of God. That's all I'm going to say on that.

Carl.
    Is it like one of those "May lightning strike me if ..." type of things? heh
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
    Is it like one of those "May lightning strike me if ..." type of things? heh

No ... more like one of those "Who dies at 24?" type of things.

Carl.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As to my personal situation ... I was in between. I was engaged years ago but my relationship was ended by an act of God. That's all I'm going to say on that.
    Fair enough. Sounds like a sad story.

I think that marriage is a profoundly higher level of commitment but that decent people honor commitments or withdraw from them if they no longer can.
    ??

I'm not sure where we disagree then. I proposed she break off her commitment to the boyfriend (if she is so inclined) before the original poster dates her.

He's probably already turned her off by teasing her. That's so elementary! You should move on Pal.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I'm not sure where we disagree then. I proposed she break off her commitment to the boyfriend (if she is so inclined) before the original poster dates her.
    Maybe I am overpushing a subtle point, vashti ... that maybe she should break off her commitment when she feels driven to explore other options. Grabbing the second monkey branch first is an easy way out even if the monkey doesn't put her full weight on it.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 24-03-09 at 07:56 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ahh, I see. You object to the competition. Okay... I just don't. I consider it part of the "weeding out" process.
    Last edited by vashti; 24-03-09 at 07:59 AM.

Ahh, I see. You object to the competition. Okay... I just don't.
    The same way you object to competition in marriage.

I think it comes down to the two 'c's those who are 'committed' should not be 'competing'
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    The same way you object to competition in marriage.

I think it comes down to the two 'c's those who are 'committed' should not be 'competing'
    BF/GF is dating, not the same as a commitment in my book. Of course, if two people promise to abstain from having sex with other people, then they should honor that agreement or break up before they violate that agreement.

But I know you have deep-seated insecurities about competition, and I know I won't change anyone's mind.

I'm not sure how to approach the idea of picking at the commitment between two people trying to decide if it's dead or not. Seems like a scavenger's approach to finding love --- let's harvest the 'meat' before it's been 'dead' for too long.

One has to wonder at the quality of such a possible relationship... she will have recent lingering feelings for her 'ex'... whereas if she had broken up with her ex and took the necessary time to 'get over them' she would have time to sort her feelings and be more self-reliant.

I just don't see building a relationship --- something that is incredibly difficult to maintain... perhaps one of the most difficult things in life to 'work --- under such impulsive conditions...

However, I know I can't dissuade you... love/infatuation has a way of overwhelming the more logical side... So my advice would be that once you do wrestle her from the arms of her boyfriend... that you take things very slowly from then on... give her time to sort her feelings...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Ahh, I see. You object to the competition. Okay... I just don't.
    Got it ... so here is where we can agree to disagree. In my opinion, when you decide to commit, there is no competition because it stops being about "who is the best man I can be with" and becomes "is the man I have decided to be with the right man for me?"

Carl.

BF/GF is dating, not the same as a commitment in my book. Of course, if two people promise to abstain from having sex with other people, then they should honor that agreement or break up before they violate that agreement.

But I know you have deep-seated insecurities about competition, and I know I won't change anyone's mind.
    Isn't that the difference (the bold part) between just dating ... playing the field ... and deciding to commit? What is that promise other than a commitment?

Carl.

Ahh, I see. You object to the competition. Okay... I just don't. I consider it part of the "weeding out" process.
    When do you think it should end, vashti? 30? 40? 80? never????? At some time you have to stop looking for Prince Charming ... or you will die in your vain pursuit! You shouldn't be with someone you consider a "weed." At some point, you decide he is a flower, and stop looking for a BETTER flower.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 24-03-09 at 08:25 AM.

When do you think it should end, vashti? 30? 40? 80? never?????

Carl.

Give it a rest... some have the mentality of 'the grass is always greener' their whole lives...

I for one pity such people... it's an unending hunt...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

BF/GF is dating, not the same as a commitment in my book.
    Dating is not bf / gf though. It's two strangers seeing each other from time to time. When I was dating two girls at the same time I wasn't a bf of either one of them. There was no exclusivity, no agreement and no commitment.

Of course, if two people promise to abstain from having sex with other people, then they should honor that agreement or break up before they violate that agreement.
    I agree^^^

Vash, let's not go personal. You know where that will lead.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Give it a rest... some have the mentality of 'the grass is always greener' their whole lives...

I for one pity such people... it's an unending hunt...
    Not an unending hunt ... a wasted life.

Carl.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast