+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The point of having them go off food stamps if they test positive obviously isn't for THEIR benefit- it should be done because drug addicts receiving welfare is simply unfair to the taxpayers

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    no i listen patiently as they yell, scream, and rant because they have no other way to get their point across.
    Yeah, I once tried explaining how composing a function with a linear transformation can simplify a complicated integral, but then realized that some people will never get it

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    The point of having them go off food stamps if they test positive obviously isn't for THEIR benefit- it should be done because drug addicts receiving welfare is simply unfair to the taxpayers
    you know what i think is unfair as somebody who gives thousands of dollars to the government every year? that our money goes to war, and big bank bailouts, instead of helping our people get on their feet, and off drugs.

how much do you pay a year in taxes dm?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    you know what i think is unfair as somebody who gives thousands of dollars to the government every year? that our money goes to war, and big bank bailouts, instead of helping our people get on their feet, and off drugs.

how much do you pay a year in taxes dm?
    I can't remember how much I paid in taxes last year, but that doesn't even matter. In another 6 years I'll be paying $100k a year in taxes

well thanks in advance for paying off that bailout for us!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    On another note, I wonder how President Obama feels about this. Anyone hear any speeches pertaining to the topic?
    According to 'Audacity of Hope', which I recommend you read Dopple, he believes in a strong work ethic and social assistance being tied to accountability for self-improvement. He doesn't believe in free handouts either.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    According to 'Audacity of Hope', which I recommend you read Dopple, he believes in a strong work ethic and social assistance being tied to accountability for self-improvement. He doesn't believe in free handouts either.

I was given that book... I really need to read it I suppose...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    That's a valid point... but if the drug screen doesn't stop the problem instead of paying for welfare, we'll be paying to put people in graves... or paying to put more into law enforcement.

Anyway *shuts the **** up and goes to read book*

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think that anyone like that should be cutoff, that is unnecessarily cruel in our society.

Ppl who are drug addicts, dangerous criminals, etc can be cared for by society (jails, halfway houses) but for these ppl, they should be supervised to receive their handout. Meaning that a drug addict should have to go to a specific place to receive food, clothes--and treatment.

They certainly shouldn't be given a cheque to manage themselves. Clearly, they don't have the skills or responsibility. Its the equivalent of throwing money at a problem and hoping it will go away.

How many of you have actually stepped in to help a poor stranger? Or even a struggling neighbour? I don't mean give them $10 for lunch, I mean *real help*. That is the way to solve these problems. Give jobs to single moms, homeless guys, help a woman who is struggling with 2 kids and an abusive husband. Teachers who take in kids from abusive homes and help them finish school. People who take in a pregnant drug addict and help her recover, go to school and find a job.

A lot of you are still young, and still establishing your own lives. That is the order of things: you can't help others if you don't first help yourself. BUT, once you are in a position to make a difference, if you really want to make one, that is the real way of things.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

one of the things that disturbs me about this bill is that marijuana tends to stay in ones system longer than most drugs. cocaine is out in a week or so, i'm not sure how long meth, crack, or heroine remain detectable in your urine, but marijuana stays there for more than a month.

then it doesn't account for alcohol, the number one drug of people who take advantage of welfare.

so you could have food stamps, smoked pot at a party, then three weeks later you're tested and you lose your help. then an alcoholic coc head could get ****ed up every day, beat their children and create some more, then they get to keep their help and even get more...

wtf?

I just find Indi's stance ironic, since she alleges that she used to smoke the reefer

I'm going to restate my previous statement:
    I think drug testing is ok (as long as it's completely random). And if a person IS found positive they should be aloud 2 options: Either stop receiving welfare (without fear of authority figures). OR Attend classes similar to that which parole officers offer. Like SAGE (if you guys know that is). Because honestly... i Do drugs, i don't smoke pot, but i do other things. AND i'm an alcoholic... but i make sure my bills are paid FIRST. And that makes me a functioning member of this society.

Like i said, i'm sure a lot of you will disagree with me. And that's fine, it's your right. But to keep that right, we need to stop supporting bad habits. Why should my hard earned money go to paying for a Heroine addicts food? Because honestly, if i could AFFORD heroine i'd be doing it too. But, no, i care too much about my health. So i eat instead.

In conclusion: Our (American) system sucks. But it's the best we got. And it's better than some alternatives. My suggestion for ending our recession? Go to war. And i mean REAL war. Not this, "police action" shit. War is GREAT for our economy. It opens jobs... and creates NEW jobs too (ammunition supply, and R&D).

PS: Sorry if some of you feel less about me because of this.

PPS:
    ...i'm not sure how long meth, crack, or heroine remain detectable in your urine...
    The Half life of: Meth is 9-15 Hours. Cocaine is 1 hour. And Heroine is 3-5 hours (depending on means, IE inhalation or injection)
    Last edited by The_bobb; 27-03-09 at 04:02 PM.
    "We are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically.
    That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that.
    It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
    — Neil deGrasse Tyson

lol if you're afraid of paying for a heroine addicts food (which is probably a small fraction of what you're paying for. most of it actually goes to people who need it) then you might find one breaking into your car for a stereo or into your back yard for a bike. well see what pisses you off more.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I just find Indi's stance ironic, since she alleges that she used to smoke the reefer
    Bong, actually.

"But I never inhaled", lol. Didn't stop him from getting into law school.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol if you're afraid of paying for a heroine addicts food (which is probably a small fraction of what you're paying for. most of it actually goes to people who need it) then you might find one breaking into your car for a stereo or into your back yard for a bike. well see what pisses you off more.
    This is poor logic and not even close to a solution. It is not about the money, it is the principle: I am not going to agree to something I see as wrong just so I can keep them from doing something worse. That's a form of coercion and I don't think inmates should run the asylum.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast