+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I love my neighborhood

Landscapes are actually my favorite thing to do when it comes to painting.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    deserts are some of my favourite places. crowds are destroying them.
    Actually, Los Angeles is not a desert environment. It is considered coastal scrubland/chaparral. It's dry, but not as dry as the desert.

Wing - the background looks like Wyoming. Where do you live again?

Pettit - I love the look of European churches. They are so beautiful. I don't think California cities can compare to European cities. We have to be more practical with regards to what is built because our buildings fall down in earthquakes. Natural environmental beauty is more our claim to fame. (This is not to say we have no beautiful buildings, but on the whole - not so much.

Illusional - it's tough to compete with Hawaii!
    Last edited by vashti; 02-02-09 at 02:16 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Wing - the background looks like Wyoming. Where do you live again?
    The Great Plains. South Dakota It's much more beautiful than people think. The small towns always have beautiful old churches and schoolhouses and things.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 02-02-09 at 02:03 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love the big sky in places like that. Do you get electrical storms?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I love the big sky too. It gave me a whole new insight on earth, as silly as that sounds. I grew up in a slummy city.

You bet. Dangerous thunderstorms in the summer, accompanied by tornadoes and such (We get to see all the tornadoes since they usually follow the path of the Missouri river) And in the winter we have quite a few blizzards.

The worst thing though is the wind. It is very strong. I've seen gas station canopies knocked over and trees ripped out of the ground by the wind alone.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 02-02-09 at 02:07 AM.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i still would rather go snowboarding than hiking...

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    i still would rather go snowboarding than hiking...

raverboy
    In California you can do both...

I just got back from my ride, decided to stay local...I've got a bit of studying and homework and don't really have 6+ hours to blow heading up to malibu.

The quality isn't the best I used my dad's little cheap Point and Shoot, didn't feel like lugging around the DSLR. On top of that it was just a little foggy. Here's some I took of roads I ride through all the time:
    Palos Verdes Dr. North

Palos Verdes Dr. North (The large mediums throught Palos Verdes were originally going to be where the Electric Trolleys were going to be installed, but that plan fell through and now they're turned into little trails that people run and walk through)

This is at the Dead end at Paseo Del Mar that is just west of Palos Verdes Dr. West

This is just before the very top of Via Del Monte also known as the Queen's Necklace (lots of multi-million dollar homes) overlooking the bay. On a clear day you can see all the way past Downtown Los Angeles and across the bay to malibu.

This is a small street just off the side of Palos Verdes Dr. North called Via Capay.

This is just before the top of Via Del Monte heading down and off to the left is a huge multi-million dollar home.

This is in Torrance Beach looking up at where I was just at.

Same area just down on the strand.

The best for last, this is the same dead end (Paseo Del Mar) where I previously posted just looking behind me out across the ocean:

Vashti you should really head down here sometime. It really is hands down the most beautiful area in Los Angeles County imho. I didn't really head to the south part of Palos Verdes today, there's actually a beautiful light house back there as well as the bluffs on the south side is where they filmed the battle scenes of the first and third Pirates of the Carribean. I actually saw the Black Pearl.

I love California. Do I win?
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 02-02-09 at 04:54 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We BOTH live in California, so I think we BOTH win.

The climate is more temperate by the beach where you are. It gets crazy hot here in the summer, and cold enough for snow and ice in the winter. Wicked Santa Anas, too. We are definitely the gateway to the desert.

Your photos are beautiful. Everyone is going to want to live here. (At least until there is an earthquake.)

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    We BOTH live in California, so I think we BOTH win.

The climate is more temperate by the beach where you are. It gets crazy hot here in the summer, and cold enough for snow and ice in the winter. Wicked Santa Anas, too. We are definitely the gateway to the desert.

Your photos are beautiful. Everyone is going to want to live here. (At least until there is an earthquake.)
    Palos Verdes can get very cold in the winter...it has iced up there, but hasn't snowed since the 60's?

It rarely gets very hot to the point where it's unbareable(ocean breeze is nice). We do get Santa Ana winds but not too bad in PV, down the hill is really bad. I would love to live in that area, I'm actually just inland and down the hill. Palos Verdes compares to prices of Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Malibu...it's not cheap at all. You'd be lucky to find a small shack for under 1million.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm disappointed because I had some really good photos, but those were all over 6 megabytes, so no luck in getting those uploaded.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Can't you shrink them Fras? The South is the only part of the country I haven't been to (except Florida and Texas, who don't always represent the picture I have in my head of the South). I'd really like to see them.

Oh, Im so gonna bring pictures of St. Thomas into this thread.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

1AJ your photos remind me of Diebenkorn's paintings.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here's a couple more.

I still don't have pictures of the classic new orleans shit, like the street cars, or bourbon street, cafe du monde and stuff. Yes, those are all things I've walked to, biked to, or have taken the street car to.

The last picture is just a function I was playing with.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Raver wins. OMG, I love Hawaii. I'd have to live on the Big Island, tho, with the telescopes.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast