+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Global Warming, orly?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Global warming is my excuse for getting an ipad instead of my macbook.

[url=http://www.apple.com/environment/]Apple - The Story Behind Apple's Environmental Footprint[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Yes we should look after this generation but not at the expense of the next generation!
    And wow people are dying, yippy skip! We've been doing that for thousands of years now. No matter what we do people are going to die and people are going to suffer. That's because people are arseholes. The planet on the other hand, has been here longer than us and should be here after we're gone. It has done nothing to deserve the havoc we have wreaked upon it. It had the poor misfortune of sustaining life and we thought "we're smart. let's ravage her for all she's worth". She's not going to take it much longer.

And yes, a natural disaster could wipe everything out. Jesus, look at the natural disasters that have occurred in recent years. That is only going to get worse. But IMO if Mother Nature has to wipe out every human so she can survive, good for her. In the grand scheme of things, human beings are not much more than a nasty disease and I believe the universe would be better off without us.
    i am not sure we're talking about the same kind of dying, miss humanhater.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Here's a far more important question:

If you're one of those people that believes in Global Warming, what are you doing about it?

Personally, I don't believe nor disbelieve - I think it's far too soon to tell, the data is suspect (it's been shown to have been fudged), and while it's true that we're in the middle of a warming trend, I remember several years ago climatologists claiming we were on our way into a new Ice Age, because we were in the middle of a cooling trend - guess what? Weather patterns are CYCLIC.

However, again I ask: WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?

I stopped driving three years ago. I own five bicycles, all of them recycled/refurbished. I own two trailers that I do errands on including grocery shopping and laundry. I recycle everything recyclable and throw out very little. What are you doing? Driving a Prius? A car that took SEVERAL TIMES more resources to make than a conventional car? One that will present a problem when the batteries need recycling? All of which achieves a fuel economy LESS than that of a 1990 Geo Metro LSi? Or perhaps you're using Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs in your house to conserve energy. CFL light bulbs produced in China, one of the worst polluting nations on the earth, again using environmentally toxic chemicals to produce, and containing MERCURY that is released into your house when they inevitably get broken? Pffftt... Go peddle your wares elsewhere.

I do more for the environment every time I grocery shop than most of you do in a year, and I'm generally not a self-righteous asshole about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I do more for the environment every time I grocery shop than most of you do in a year, and I'm generally not a self-righteous asshole about it.
    Except for now ...

JK ;o)
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Except for now ...

JK ;o)
    No, you're right - it just gets on my nerves when people get their knickers in a twist about it, are willing to act like smug jackasses about it, and actually DO jack-shit about it.

I really usually just like to live and let live.

I mean... my favorite bicycle is a 27 year old Schwinn mountain bike... I'm not exactly pretentious.

Well, I find it's the same with other things though.

For example, Facebook is a prime example. I see all the 'causes' people are 'into' ... save this, free that, etc etc ... Tibet for example. I guarantee you the vast majority of people wouldn't even be able to point out Tibet on the map let alone go into detail about it's struggle.

And these are the same people who wouldn't help an old lady across the road!

Many people seem to like the sound and idea of being 'into' good causes, but don't give a hoot about helping out and making a difference in their day to day lives, .

If people want to start changing the world, then they need to start at home, with the people who they come across on a daily basis, and make a difference that way.

If everyone did that, things might be somewhat better.

There's my preaching over ;o)
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here's a far more important question:

If you're one of those people that believes in Global Warming, what are you doing about it?

Personally, I don't believe nor disbelieve - I think it's far too soon to tell, the data is suspect (it's been shown to have been fudged), and while it's true that we're in the middle of a warming trend, I remember several years ago climatologists claiming we were on our way into a new Ice Age, because we were in the middle of a cooling trend - guess what? Weather patterns are CYCLIC.

However, again I ask: WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?

I stopped driving three years ago. I own five bicycles, all of them recycled/refurbished. I own two trailers that I do errands on including grocery shopping and laundry. I recycle everything recyclable and throw out very little. What are you doing? Driving a Prius? A car that took SEVERAL TIMES more resources to make than a conventional car? One that will present a problem when the batteries need recycling? All of which achieves a fuel economy LESS than that of a 1990 Geo Metro LSi? Or perhaps you're using Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs in your house to conserve energy. CFL light bulbs produced in China, one of the worst polluting nations on the earth, again using environmentally toxic chemicals to produce, and containing MERCURY that is released into your house when they inevitably get broken? Pffftt... Go peddle your wares elsewhere.

i drive a Prius. yep that's it.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i am not sure we're talking about the same kind of dying, miss humanhater.
    Please, help me on to the same page as you. I am always open to new perspectives, even if I then choose to disagree with them.

All my point was trying to be is a lot of the shit that humans suffer through is human made. We did this shit to ourselves. The planet didn't asked to be raped and pillaged and used and taken for granted. We as a species need to take responsibility for the mess we've made.

And yes, I am not fond of human beings. I'm not fond of being one but don't consider suicide an option so have to battle through. I think we are disgusting, self-righteous, stupid animals. I really do. In saying all of that, I am going to enjoy my time here as much as I can and I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on the fact that people suck. I also give every individual I meet the chance to prove they are not a complete waste of space and oxygen. :p
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

HIA, what do I do about it? I will admit, not as much as I'd like to.
    What I do now, well I don't drive. Hubby does, but with the hours he works that's not a great help so everything I do I do on foot. Yes I catch cabs, but living in a small town I justify that with the stimulating the economy idea.
    I compost and I have 2 veggie patches. I am turning my front yard into a herb garden. A lot less plastic will be purchased when that is up and running.
    I use more water than I am proud of but I am working on that.
    I don't litter, I recycle. I buy as many groceries as I can with minimal packaging.

Things I want to get done in the next 12 months.
    Hubby and I are going to get an equity loan in the next few months. With that we are going to put solar panels on the house and a solar hot water system. We will replace the gas heating with electric heating. We are looking at getting a couple of water tanks. We are going to get heavier curtains for better insulation. If we can afford it after that (there are also some house repairs that need doing) I want to install a grey water recycling system, we have some beautiful ones over here that recycle the water so effectively you can drink it.

I had tried making a similar point before, that it is so easy to do something to help the planet. Really all it would take is everybody doing one thing and we would see a huge difference.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Yep, there's always more you can do. My wife and I would like to install solar panels and a charging system with an inverter for small electrics. We don't watch TV or use the A/C much (which is apparently insane where we live, or so I'm told) but a charging system big enough for the laptop and the small fan we use should actually help us a lot. I wish we owned and could put in our own veggie garden, but we're thinking next year of planter boxes and such.

Good for you for doing your bit. I don't personally think it's up to me to judge people on what they do or do not do, but it gets on my nerves when others do it, and from my perspective they haven't a leg to stand on.

We don't have air con, we have evaporative cooling. It's fabulous.... except when hubby goes to long cleaning the gutters and we have water leaping over the next door neighbours fence. Makes a great noise though.

I do leave my TV on almost all day. It's bad I know but it helps keep me sane, I don't feel quite so lonely. Speaking of which I should probably shoot it now and crank the stereo for a bit. Aaaand maaaayybe do some housework.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Driving a Prius? A car that took SEVERAL TIMES more resources to make than a conventional car? One that will present a problem when the batteries need recycling? All of which achieves a fuel economy LESS than that of a 1990 Geo Metro LSi? Or perhaps you're using Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs in your house to conserve energy. CFL light bulbs produced in China, one of the worst polluting nations on the earth, again using environmentally toxic chemicals to produce, and containing MERCURY that is released into your house when they inevitably get broken? Pffftt... Go peddle your wares elsewhere.
    You are mixing arguments, HIA. While your comments are correct you need to decide WHICH issue you care about. Mercury from CFLs is a concern but a very different one from GHG levels... CFLs use less power and therefore, for place like the US which are ~ 60% coal, a good thing to be using. Less power consumption = less GHG from coal-fired power plants. Same argument for electric batteries in EVs. You are right about making them in China and shipping them here by tanker tho.

I'm pro NG vehicles. At least for now, and NOW is what is needed to stop pumping GHG into the atmosphere. I think we are already going to hit 450 ppm no matter what (did you read about the gianormous iceberg off Newfoundland on its way down the E. Coast?) Immediate 20% decrease in CO2, easy conversions, locally available energy (NA has a lot of NG)... TIME to develop the electric tech. Ultimately tho, that's the way to go. Bicycles when you can. Personally, I'm waiting for the first of these:

[url=http://www.aptera.com/]Aptera Homepage | Aptera Motors[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    We don't have air con, we have evaporative cooling. It's fabulous.... except when hubby goes to long cleaning the gutters and we have water leaping over the next door neighbours fence. Makes a great noise though.

I do leave my TV on almost all day. It's bad I know but it helps keep me sane, I don't feel quite so lonely. Speaking of which I should probably shoot it now and crank the stereo for a bit. Aaaand maaaayybe do some housework.
    Hate to break it to you, but water costs energy also. Especially in Oz. You may not be saving anything, just shifting your consumption.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Y a charging system with an inverter for small electrics. .
    Not solar (BC you know) but we do have this^. Electricity in BC is almost entirely hydroelectric, so reasonably guilt-free.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but water costs energy also. Especially in Oz. You may not be saving anything, just shifting your consumption.
    Oh I know that it's a trade off. Advantages include; being able to use the fan only setting, being able to use it with doors and windows open (in fact it won't work properly in a closed up house) and my favourite, the fact that it cools the whole house.

With a bit of work we should be operating things like that self sufficiently by this time next year. We have a nice sized house with lots of space for solar panels and we're in a lovely position. Our plan is to get enough panels to actually feed back into the grid and get money back from the power company. Once we get our water tanks (an under house bladder and a tank for down the side of the house) we'll be able to run the cooling and the heating at least for nothing. I don't think we'll be getting enough rainwater to survive off but it will be enough to make a difference.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast