+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotting teeth photos added to cigarette packs

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    I just don't understand the reason why people take up smoking to begin with. With all the studies and evidence that points to the terrible things it does to your body you think you would be turned off. I said it before, it's just as healthy as breathing carcinogenic solvents. I might as well carry around a humidifier with some MEK in it and put it right next to people that smoke. Doesn't smell or feel so good does it?

Why are people so mystified about it? I grew up in a household with a pack-a-day smoker, my Dad. Most people from my generation have parents and grandparents that smoke, because back in the day they didn't know it was bad. I started smoking when I was 16, because it seemed 'normal' to me. After you have your first one and feel that calming nicotine rush, you can see where it gets addictive.

I quit when I was 18, but still smoke occasionally, usually socially....or when I'm stressed out of my mind. But realistically, our day to day lives are full of unhealthy things that people choose not to focus on. Obesity is just as dangerous as smoking. What about alcohol abuse or marijuana?

I get pissed off when I hear comments about how 'disgusting' and 'stupid' smokers are, especially because my fiance, his entire family, and many members of my family are all smokers. It's insulting. If you don't like it, don't do it. But shut up about it. You're not morally superior.

FYI, most smokers know what it's doing to their health, but quitting is ****ing hard. It's not just a matter of slapping on a patch.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My entire family smokes, too. I still think it's disgusting and stupid. I don't think they're entirely stupid. There's a difference, BS. I also don't blame them for starting. When they were young nobody told them it was bad for their health and cigarette companies targeted youth.

However, I do have a big problem with young people today smoking. It is an extremely stupid habit to take up when you can look back and see your family and older friends hacking and coughing, their teeth yellowed from cigarettes. Personally, I don't think nicotine has an immediately calming effect the way you described it. I think once you get hooked on cigarettes you start to feel crappy whenever you don't have one. So you smoke and you feel slightly less crappy. If you didn't smoke to begin with you'd be a calmer person overall.

I admit, when I see young people smoking I jump to the conclusion that they are stupid. People like that have got a lot of work to do to prove me wrong. And a lot more work to show me that their personalities override the stench that permeates their hair, clothes and breath.
    Last edited by Gribble; 04-10-08 at 02:11 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I used to smoke (until I got pregnant). I grew up in a family of smokers.

I still miss it. I'm planning to smoke again when I am an old lady near death. I'm going to drink too much alcohol and eat chocolate and potato chips, too.

i enjoy a few of puffs of tobacco every now and again. i don't mind it. i don't mind if people do it. i don't like to be in a stuffy room with all that smoke though.

i guess that bugs me about smoking, that stuff is getting into other peoples lungs as well. if you're abusing alcohol, well you're doing it to yourself.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

as an ex smoker (has been almost 5 months now), i have to say this move is so nice to hear!

but for those who are really addicted, i'm not sure the picture would bothr them much. but i really think those that are not addicted will have second thoughts about buying that pack of smokes

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Mish, how do people feel about it? Do you think it's detered people?
    I don't know whether it's deterred people, but it sure is disturbing. I don't care about it ecause I'm not a smoker, but I was thinking about those fancy cigarette/cigar boxes that can be collectors items... they have those pictures on them too and it very much ruins the box. But if that's what i takes, then...

We have also had television ads for a while, very graphic ones of fatty arteries being cut up, close ups of mouth cancer victims, tar-covered lungs... ugh. Shock factor. non-smokers and kids might be less inclined to smoke, but I don't know about those who are already very addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i enjoy a few of puffs of tobacco every now and again. i don't mind it. i don't mind if people do it. i don't like to be in a stuffy room with all that smoke though.

i guess that bugs me about smoking, that stuff is getting into other peoples lungs as well. if you're abusing alcohol, well you're doing it to yourself.
    I'd rather have mommy and daddy smoke in the bar, than at home around the children, who are not yet fully developed.

When it comes to smoking, I doubt a picture on a box will stop people from doing it. Just like chinese food, about how they say they cook cats,dogs, and so forth and I still turn around and say "well if thats a cat it tastes damn good" lol...
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Im pretty sure of that the pictures are meant to be a deterrent for those who are considering smoking, and less so for those who already have it as a habit. The 30 year old will ignore it soon enough and keep it up, but the 15 year old kid will hopefully be disgusted by it and toss it away.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    in hawaii you have to be 20 feet away from any building to legally smoke in public. however, i just smoke anywhere if i'm in the smoking mood.

it's a good thing that i'm not a smoker.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Personally, I don't think nicotine has an immediately calming effect the way you described it.
    I guess you've never smoked. I still get it now. The first time I ever smoked I felt like I was high for about a minute there.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I'm planning to smoke again when I am an old lady near death. I'm going to drink too much alcohol and eat chocolate and potato chips, too.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    if you're abusing alcohol, well you're doing it to yourself.
    Until you get behind the wheel of a car and run someone over, or someone's pet. Or punch someone in the face in a drunken fight.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why do people smoke tobacco? I've never smoked tobacco. At least weed gets you high

Nicotine acts on nicotinic receptors and causes increased levels of dopamine in the CNS and epinephrine in the PNS. thats why people smoke. It's supposedly as addictive as heroin and cocaine.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But is it as enjoyable? At least I understand why people shoot heroine and snort crack. I have tried cigarettes before. I got nothing out of them. Just a bad taste in my mouth.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Yes, for addicts, anyway. Dopamine is associated with the reward and pleasure centers in the brain. Epinephrine is adrenaline.
    Last edited by shh!; 05-10-08 at 12:53 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast