+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Am Unemployed!

oooooooooooh carlos vives. i love him.

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    Wow, sombra..that's so cool. I couldn't respond to the first time you stated this because Cybog closed that thread..anyway LuisMi never comes to Cruces..only El Paso and it doesn't seem like he'll be there soon..You're lucky to be so close to him this time, though. The man puts on one of the best shows ever. He's a classy guy who's all about quality and professionalism in his shows...hey, did you ever see Mariah in his "Vivo" video?

Tone, yeah, I've funded my travels over the last 5 years through my soon to be ex-job (Engineering). How I'll fund my future travels remains a mystery. I've got some $$ saved up for about another year of my travel whims, but after that I'll have to seek alternative resources. I've got some plans in mind..there are many ways. One is I may seek employment in travel related areas..or work at a job that requires a lot of travel. I could work at a cruise ship. I could do odd jobs and live verty thriftily until I can afford my next vacation..then I can do the work thing there (illegally if it's a foreign country where I'm not allowed to work) until I get to my next destination.

So you can do the 9-5 and make some paper to afford your vacations (in which case you'll also be at the mercy of your allowed time off, but you'll be living pretty good in between trips), or you can do the "free-lance" thing and be completely mobile and independent..needing only to survive you can be this mobile (i.e. if you have nothing tying you down..no family to support, wife, house, etc..)

I'm also thinking peace corps..though the cons here is that you don't choose where you go...you may end up in a very undesireable location...but if you're cool with just getting out of where you're at, this is a cool option. Then there's going back to school full time and then do study abroads, like to Europe where you can see lots of countrires by means of weekend trips.

There are many ways...you gotta give up a couple of things, though. If you don't mind roughing it a bit, it's not as expensive as it seems to travel..just not do a lot of the fancy things, maybe.

And I don't think this is a sad thread at all..why I'm all happy and excited about these upcoming plans! There's no need to be sad, Arty..we'll still have internet access...to you it's no difference, really..
    Woah. I'm REALLY excited from Nomas. ah! I can't wait until I'm finished in college and uni and to be able to stand on my own two feet. Ah I can't wait. Never occured to me until now but your a very good inspiration Nomas. Keep up it up dude!
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Well..thanks, Quiche, but you should take inspirations from greater men. Watch "the motorcycle diaries" and see if you can't get a little inspiration from Ernesto Guevara de la Serna... AKA Che Guevara.

Quote Originally Posted by sombra
    oooooooooooh carlos vives. i love him.
    I don't love him..I'm just mildly attracted to him..but strictly in a sexual way.

Just playing..but I do like his music. Which one is his latest album? I need to make sure I keep up with his productions too, cuz down here they don't play him that much.

haha.. freds.. hmmm.. i'm repeating myself.. he's coming into boston on the 27th of this month. how was vegas?
    "Ogres are like onions."

ooooh that's soon!!! r u going?

his new album is el rock de mi pueblo or something like that. i've heard a few songs and they're pretty good.

Tone Guest
    nomas, that's so cool man.. I'd love to be able to travel that much.

*jealous*

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    ooooh that's soon!!! r u going?

his new album is el rock de mi pueblo or something like that. i've heard a few songs and they're pretty good.
    of course, of course!
    "Ogres are like onions."

Nomas----"I'm quitting. I'm moving to Chihuahua. For a change in my life....I'm trying to make it happen"

Gosh, that must have taken guts. Giving up a stable job is a pretty big decision. I remember you saying you want to travel. Good for you that you're making it happen. Last weekend I called up a friend whom I hadn't spoken to in 3years. In the period of No Contact, he'de up and left, gotten contract work in a neighbouring country and was there for 2years working like mad, and partying his head off. Now he's back home and it's coincidental I happened to call him at just the right time. After 3years I can see the change. He's more street smart, after getting knocked about a couple of times. And fluent in an extra language.
    The most telling bit, was when he asked me, "So, what have you been doing in the last 3years?". I was like "uhhhh.....working the same job, living the same life...not alot been happening". To me it was a truth defining moment. I keep asking myself that question. Am I content with the status quo?

Best of luck to you (and to Frasbee), with the new horizon ahead!

Yep, thanks for your good wishes, people..and that's what I'm talking about, Chlorine. EXACTLY. I want to do the exciting, adventureous thing and I know you give up one thing for another..in my case stability of a steady income. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make relatively easily. I've got only myself to worry about. I don't mind having my home be a crappy apartment..after all, I hope to only use it to sleep, shower, and maybe have a couple of meals there..that's all. I really want to live out in the streets, like your friend..get street smart..which to me is the same as "socially smart"..but un the non-traditional schooling route: the experience route.

One thing I will hate to give up, though, is that with no money, I won't be able to date much. My relations with women, I fear, will be severely cut short for a while. It's understandable, most girls wouldn't want to be with someone who can't afford to take them out anywhere. My romantic life will be down to short stints at a time or some girl who really gets me and doesn't mind doing the same "hippie" thing with me.

But it also all depends on whether I can get lucky and get a job that pays alright..I was thinking I can get pretty good at being a bartender..that would pay well and make me employable anywhere.

Anyway...we'll see...the uncertainty is part of the excitement!

ah, nomas... where'd you get the idea from that most girls wouldn't want to be with someone who can't afford to take them out anywhere?

some of us just simply prefer the company of the person we want to be with.. it doesn't have to be fancy..

i'm waiting my time.. just one more year to go... and off we go...

uncertainty is so exciting!
    "Ogres are like onions."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I got my travel itinerary, I leave Philly at 1:00pm and arrive in Charleston, South Carolina at 2:55pm.

I've been browsin' the NCCC forums a bit on the yahoo groups site and somebody posted they'd be comin' from the same airport, so maybe I'll have a bud to talk to for that hour and a half I'll be on the plane.

I'm tryin' to keep it cool but I'm getting so anxious now. Still got about 3 weeks...

Frasbee----That's nerves. Change is scary, but once you get past the initial hurdles, it's exciting. If you are all starting on the same footing it'll be easier to make friends.

Nomas----Artyemi's right. Even if you don't have a regular job, you can still get dates. It's not how much money you lavish on her, it's your charm that'll win her over.

Tone Guest
    Fras that's so awesome man... I think you're really gonna enjoy yourself down there. Just be sure you don't forget to check in here at LF from time to time ;)

I'm not saying I will be completely unable to get a single date..but surely you see the practical analysis...most girls are looking for more of the stable relationship rather than "let's see each other at the park when we have time" type of thing, so to speak. It's not just the money..it's my focus on myself..on the lifestyle I'm going for here for the recent future. Unless she's totally in tune with that, then I will only be able to do the traditional thing for short spans of time at a time...if that makes sense.

Nomas----"It's not just the money..it's my focus on myself..on the lifestyle I'm going for here for "

Put that way....okay, yeah....you might not be able to hold a girl's attention. Most girls prefer stability. I met someone who was at a make or break point in his life. He wanted to do this crazy project in this remote area and it was at the top of his list. No, I did not follow him, nor did I hang around waiting for him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast