Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Theories of Life, the Universe and Everything

oh.

anachronistic Guest
    i was just kidding! i dont know what it stands for

illusionals drunken fetishes

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    Irish Defence Forces?

Yeah, I heard some theories on how it developed, but it's really hard to tell. I believe that there must be a scientific solution though.

The church initially claimed evolution didn't exist at all. Dinosaurs? never existed. Apes? not related at all. etc. Only after there was too much evidence backing up the existence of evolution did they say "okay, okay, so evolution does exist. BUT, obviously, god must've made it that way." yeahh right. Adjusting a theory in order to stop it from being disproved in the face of new knowledge (evolution, earth revolves around the sun, etc) just reeks of a faulty theory in the first place.

thank god, there is hope for you yet it's odd how I think in the exact opposite way; evolution fascinates me.. but how life really started doesn't really interest me as much.

life (as we know it, at least) requires liquid water, building blocks like carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and a source of energy. Detailed theories on how exactly these elements initially combined to make life doesn't really concern me, I don't need to understand the exact specific details of the process.

well.. personally I don't think plants qualify as conscious beings. But you're entitled to your own definition.

Humans are animals. This reminds me of a quote that went something like "I used to think the brain was the most powerful organ in the body. Then I realised who was telling me this". Saying humans are on a higher level of consciousness than animals is a very commonly held opinion- most people don't really even think about it, they just 'know' that we must be superior. But really, just because we're a successful species in terms of population and manipulating our environment.. how does that make us more conscious than an ape that clearly shows self consciousness?

Humans are animals indeed. I don't feel superior to animals in a arrogant way. I just tend to think Humans can perceive reality in a more conscious manner than other animals. So much so that I ended up putting Humans in a seperate category. But I do love animals and everything about them.

well.. personally I don't think plants qualify as conscious beings. But you're entitled to your own definition.
    Well I wouldn't call it consciousness either, but I dont have a better word. I simply think they are alive. I think a plant knows when it is dying.

life (as we know it, at least) requires liquid water, building blocks like carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and a source of energy. Detailed theories on how exactly these elements initially combined to make life doesn't really concern me, I don't need to understand the exact specific details of the process.

Detailed theories on how these elements combined don't interest me in the least bit either. On the other hand, where the elements originally came from is what I am interested in.
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

cool.. I'm gonna reply to that when it's not 6 AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123