+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the name of the Father

Thanks guys for your responses.

Wish me luck for Fathers Day tomorrow.

best of luck dasein. do you have kids?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Stay strong, girl... your father's way of being isn't about you, but rather about his own shortcomings. Try not to take it personally.

Good luck, Dasein. Your situation sounds quite heartbreaking and I really feel for you.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Well I went yesterday.

I feel good about myself actually. I am always a firm believer in taking the high road. So I took lunch over including a cake that said Happy Fathers Day. I invited my sister and the kids. I think Dad said 3 sentences to me but it's ok.

I realised that I am a better person and I don't need to expend energy trying to understand my Father. It just is what it is.

I hope everyone else had a nice weekend

Dasein, pardon me for bumping your old-ish thread, but I am wondering if it is possible your father is suffering from (very early) dementia? I really don't understand his odd behavior. Maybe he just isn't himself anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Dasein, pardon me for bumping your old-ish thread, but I am wondering if it is possible your father is suffering from (very early) dementia? I really don't understand his odd behavior. Maybe he just isn't himself anymore?

It's funny you say that shh! because I saw him at church the other day and he retold a story that he has told me in the last 2 months at least 5 times. He is 71 and ill a lot of the time so maybe it does contribute.

I think what it really boils down to is family. My sister has 3 children and he would like to keep the house in the family etc. I have made it known that I do not want children. Plus my nephew is like the son he never had so he is a favourite and hence is going to benefit a lot from Dad's money.

Still sucks though but what am I gunna do? Just live with it I guess.

It might not be a bad idea to let his physician know, if you care to be bothered. He can be evaluated, and they have medications that can delay the onset of worser symptoms.

Not that this would help with your immediate problems with him.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    It might not be a bad idea to let his physician know, if you care to be bothered. He can be evaluated, and they have medications that can delay the onset of worser symptoms.

Not that this would help with your immediate problems with him.

I may mention it. Though like most elderly people my folks LIVE at the doctors so I am sure she is aware.

Thanks for remembering my post

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    I think what it really boils down to is family. My sister has 3 children and he would like to keep the house in the family etc. I have made it known that I do not want children.
    This might have played a big part in your dad's decision making on this issue, as unfair as that decision might be. The families with kids are often looked as in need of support more than the ones without. It's unfortunate that the one with the kids turned out to be the selfish and the least deserving one. I think this was a purely material decision and not a statement of his lack of love to his other two kids (At least I hope so).

Personally as far as inheritance goes it's something I really don't like to think about.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Oh good, when I first read the title I thought it was another ****ing religion thread.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Good lord, Eco. Stop cluttering up Dasein's thread with your drug conspiracy BS. It's waaaay off topic. Go make a thread for it and post in there. Good luck with getting someone to come in there to argue with you.

eco, i've hijacked starbucks post to say: go ruin your own threads. thanks. -misombra.

Dasein, I want to congratulate you for handling your family situation with grace.
    Last edited by misombra; 24-09-08 at 08:38 PM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've always supported the position of abandoning of the parent.

dasein i would imagine you are feeling upset still about this because of what it means....however the suggestion that it could be a medical reason would be taking it a bit far. Its terrible the way things were handled but you should move on for your own self and leave all that stuff behind you. Life is too short to be thinking of reasons. you know your dad better than anyone on lf could and i would imagine that if there was somthing wrong recently with him that your sisters and mother would have noticed too. as people get older the memory does fail and they become forgetful but it doesn't mean there is something seriously wrong with them. I think you handled yourself extremely well on fathers day. well done
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

The chances of getting dementia increase as you get older. About 1 in 20 people over the age of 65 have some form of dementia. This figure rises to about 1 in 5 people age 80 and over.

You never know unless you've been diagnosed. Clearly, it's not uncommon in people in their 70s, and shouldn't be dismissed as a possible cause for unusual behavior.

[url]http://www.consumerreports.org/health/treatment-centers/brain-and-nervous-system/dementia/how-common.htm[/url]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast