+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Argument over careers

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What a miserable life that would be.

Hell, what a miserable world we'd have if people didn't pursue their dreams.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    What a miserable life that would be.

Hell, what a miserable world we'd have if people didn't pursue their dreams.
    This whole "reality" mind set is the reason so many people are extremely unhappy with the careers they are in and that's why so many people continuously change careers.

It is possible to pursue your dreams and be a realist. I'm doing it. I'm getting into a very secure and stable career field where I'll be making more than most while also working a normal 40-50 hour work week. And it's something that I will love doing. Honestly, if I had a woman that was telling me that she didn't like the career field I was getting into, I would be ending the relationship.

I almost left school and joined a contractor that worked for the military on 6-month deployments. The pay was insane. For six months I could have made $150,000. I didn't do it, however, because I was with my ex at the time and she didn't want me to... which I understood only because it was a dangerous job.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Shh. My post certainly was not written with hostility. The opposite. I only thank the ppl here for answering me. Raising kids is important. Middle class in NY is close to being poor. To own an apartment and raise kids I would need more than what I make. I am not pressuring her to make more $, but to start in a practical field (like nursing).

Cain, I think my kids will be fine whenever I have them. If my future wife gets her head straight maybe I can take them to Disneyland.

Wait a minute. Cain. Did you just say you're happy your ex convinced you not to take the contractor job?

Cain says:

"But who is he to decide what she will and will not regret? That's the problem. She's an adult that can make her own decision."

he's her fiance and best friend. He knows her better than anyone else. I highly doubt he would try to dissuade his fiance from pursuing something unless he had her best interest in mind. As for her being an adult, that doesn't mean she's mature enough to handle important decisions such as a career on her own. It just means she's legally old enough to buy cigarettes and alcohol.

shh! says:

"Whose career is this, anyway? I thought it was HERS."

oh please! Why do I have a feeling you would shit a brick if your daughter told you she wants to be a cafateria lady?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1982 View Post
    Wait a minute. Cain. Did you just say you're happy your ex convinced you not to take the contractor job?
    I had two options. One was to go through school and get into nursing and follow with my Master's degree. The other was to work as a contractor being deployed to war zones (mainly Iraq) for 6-month tours. I wouldn't have enjoyed doing the second one. I would have only done it for the money. Even though my ex didn't like it, she was going to support whatever decision I made.

I chose to go through school.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    he's her fiance and best friend. He knows her better than anyone else. I highly doubt he would try to dissuade his fiance from pursuing something unless he had her best interest in mind. As for her being an adult, that doesn't mean she's mature enough to handle important decisions such as a career on her own. It just means she's legally old enough to buy cigarettes and alcohol.
    He knows her better than we do, yes. But she knows herself better than he does.

Whatever. This conversation is obviously pointless. If I had a career that I absolutely wanted to go into and my SO was trying to talk me out of it and saying that I'm out of touch with reality, I would be ending that relationship quick as hell.

Cain says:

"Even though my ex didn't like it, she was going to support whatever decision I made."

how did that work out for you? There, I said it! :-O

Cain says:

"Even though my ex didn't like it, she was going to support whatever decision I made."

how did that work out for you? There, I said it! :-O
    I don't understand your point. We didn't break up because of my choice in career.

Cain says:

"But she knows herself better than he does."

I doubt that.

Cain says:

"But she knows herself better than he does."

I doubt that.
    Really? So he knows her better than she knows herself?

That would make her a ****ing moron.

Cain says:

"I don't understand your point. We didn't break up because of my choice in career."

I apologize if my post sounded like I'm insinuating you two broke up b/c of your career choice. My intention was for you to reflect on your decision to turn down $150,000 given that she inevitably left you anyway.
    Last edited by NeoSeminole; 11-09-08 at 12:59 PM.

Cain says:

"Really? So he knows her better than she knows herself?

That would make her a ****ing moron."

no, just confused and unrealistic like most girls.

Cain says:

"I don't understand your point. We didn't break up because of my choice in career."

I apologize if my post sounded like I'm insinuating you two broke up b/c of your career choice. My intention was for you to reflect on your decision to turn down $150,000 given that she inevitably broke up with you anyway.
    Like I said before, I made my decision based on the fact that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. It would have been a 6-month tour doing stuff that the US military didn't want to do, patrolling extremely hostile and dangerous areas. No matter what, I was going to make a great deal of money. Once I finish my Master's, I'll be making $175,000 anyways. And I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to wake up the next morning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast