+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Increasing Metabolism Naturally

^^^lucky bitch.
    i wish i could lose weight like it was nothing.
    im not fat or anything, but i wouldnt mind losing about 20lbs, or just changing it to muscle.
    [url]http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/GoldenGreek75/[/url]
    ^my pride and joy^

Sweet, I just weighed myself today, it's been about two months since I last did...I lost two pounds!!!

Woot...136lbs.

how to increase metabolism naturally:

- eat more frequently (every 2-3 hrs)
    - increase your protein intake
    - add spices to your meals
    - exercise regularly
    - drink green tea

how to decrease your metabolism:

- eat less frequently (1-3 meals a day)
    - avoid exercise

Exactly what neo said...

Not eating doesn't translate to loosing weight...well maybe if you starve yourself for long enough. But that's not healthy.

By eating constantly you're basically telling your body to continue burning. When you stop eating your bodies metabolism will slow down. That's why eating a bunch of smaller healthier meals spread out across the day is usually better for you then not eating or eating a few large meals.

My trainer told me that if you work out before a meal as opposed to after, you'll burn more fat. Is this true?
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    My trainer told me that if you work out before a meal as opposed to after, you'll burn more fat. Is this true?
    I think that's somewhat true. I've got a body builder friend and he said it's not wise to work out without some form of food before the workout, it just depends on what you eat before the exercise.

Apparently the body just needs a bit of energy boost to last that extra mile while working out. I think it makes sense to balance diet and exercise.

As for the metabolism question, small meals spread out through the day will help rather than large meals. In fact I think large meals are probably worse off for you in the long run.

Not bragging here but I'd also like to get some advice on gaining weight. I mean I eat the usual junk food and the healthy stuff and I eat reguarly, get the usual work out but for some reason I think it might be just my genes. The last time I remembered being on the chubby side was few years ago when all I had was junk food for a year and nothing else lol. 6 feet and only weighing (ranging) 60-65kg (bout 130lbs?) worries me a little sometimes.
    Last edited by snoz; 29-10-08 at 10:38 PM.

Ladie, go eat a sandwich for crying out loud. Not eating for 3 days is not good.

Also, I've heard that too about water. It suppresses the appetite temporarily.
    I bought a sandwich the other night and almost threw it back up. I havent really been eating lately cuz Im not hungry. When I just drink water I feel fine. I try to stop the late night eating cuz I think thats a huge factor in why I'm still fat. It's all I do. I dont eat all day and then midnight comes and I eat alot.

Well, it's 11:46 am here and I'm enjoying a pate'.....muy muy muy delicioso
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Well I honestly have never heard about burning more fat if you eat before working out. But I do know you need to have something in you if you're doing some long workouts. With cycling for example you need to eat if you're doing a long ride. You need to replenish carbs and electrolytes, you can't just take in water. You'll end up hitting the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    I bought a sandwich the other night and almost threw it back up. I havent really been eating lately cuz Im not hungry. When I just drink water I feel fine. I try to stop the late night eating cuz I think thats a huge factor in why I'm still fat. It's all I do. I dont eat all day and then midnight comes and I eat alot.

Well, it's 11:46 am here and I'm enjoying a pate'.....muy muy muy delicioso
    That's absolutely terrible. You need to force something down your throat during the day. Eating that late at night is bad.

Even nibble on something healthy during the day. Why you can't eat during the day could be something more serious. This is a very unhealthy habit you have.

1aj, I dunno I think I'm sick. It happened over the weekend. I'm really not hungry. The thought of food makes me sick most of the time. Plus, when I do eat I get sick and feel like throwing up. I've stopped eating late night though.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

If you are sick you still need to be eating. Not eating is going to weaken your immune system and only prolong things. If it makes you sick look into some foods that are easy on your stomach. For kids there's what's called the BRAT diet. Start with BANANAS, then try RICE, APPLESAUCE, then TOAST. Or possibly try some Pedialite.

You need to be eating something. Don't think you're going to lose weight doing this, it's probably going to do the opposite.

starbuck says:

"My trainer told me that if you work out before a meal as opposed to after, you'll burn more fat. Is this true?"

no. You're still burning and ingesting calories either way. Your body doesn't perceive a difference.

I've heard that by doing this you burn off actual pounds instead of the calories in food. Don't know if it's true, but that's what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    With cycling for example you need to eat if you're doing a long ride. You need to replenish carbs and electrolytes, you can't just take in water. You'll end up hitting the wall.
    Yeah, good advice. I hit the wall on my ride the other morning. All I had was a protein bar and water. Not enough for a ride like that where I was pushing myself really hard the whole time. Got a Power Bar at the gas station and I was back in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
    Yeah, good advice. I hit the wall on my ride the other morning. All I had was a protein bar and water. Not enough for a ride like that where I was pushing myself really hard the whole time. Got a Power Bar at the gas station and I was back in no time.
    You didn't bonk...you were just tired and needed a break.

Trust me you'll know when you bonked.

"Got a Power Bar at the gas station and I was back in no time."

When this happens, it takes hours for you to recover. Your body just shuts down, just walking feels hard, you may feel nauseas, light headed, and sleepy as well.

First time I bonked I was 30 miles from home and it sucked. With every pedal stroke I felt like I was going to throw up. I tried stopping and I felt like I was going to pass out. You'll know when you bonked.

When I got home I fell asleep for 6 hours in the middle of the day.

Trust me you'll know...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    You didn't bonk...you were just tired and needed a break.

Trust me you'll know when you bonked.

"Got a Power Bar at the gas station and I was back in no time."

When this happens, it takes hours for you to recover. Your body just shuts down, just walking feels hard, you may feel nauseas, light headed, and sleepy as well.

First time I bonked I was 30 miles from home and it sucked. With every pedal stroke I felt like I was going to throw up. I tried stopping and I felt like I was going to pass out. You'll know when you bonked.

When I got home I fell asleep for 6 hours in the middle of the day.

Trust me you'll know...lol
    Haha, I'll take your word for it. All I know is that I was pedaling and keeping up with the group just fine. We all were in line at a left turn light. We made the light and then BAM! Every pedal stroke was wicked hard. My whole body locked up and I felt like absolute crap. Whatever that was, I got that haha. I hope I don't ever truly "bonk."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123