+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    Haha this thread is funny actually. so you all ‘do stuff’ as mis says and you plan on telling everyone on here how much YOU have done for your fellow man. Have YOU actually ever spoken to a person who receives charity and asked them how they feel about taking it? (maybe they should just be grateful and be quiet!) the fact that you all are proving how crass you can all get and not see it; IS actually funny, coz you all complain about Americans being perceived badly. This attitude you have is not helping. These people YOU have helped are people and deserve their dignity. Anonymous charity giving is very popular…why do you think? Now have a good think about that question. We in Europe respect people we help.
    Eco, what is WRONG with feeling good about helping someone? Noone is giving out the names of WHO they helped, only that they do?

For that matter, what is WRONG with admitting one has to accept help? The only one who makes it a shameful thing are ppl like YOU. I suspect you must have grown up poor or had to receive a handout at some point & you have deep feelings of shame about it. You need to realize that there is NOTHING wrong with accepting help, particularly if you do something productive with it.

The only ppl who should feel shame about accepting help are those who either 1) don't really need it, or 2) don't do anything productive with it.

I strongly support those who volunteer and give back to their communities. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting ppl know about it. Its an inspiration, even a challenge, to others to do the same. I read Fras's thread about his boots and, aside from being proud of him, he reminded me that I have a whole couple closets of decent clothes that I need to get to the local shelter.

I think you just hate the fact that anyone should feel good about anything they accomplish. Probably b/c you have yet to accomplish much yourself. You are what is called a pissant & it makes you smaller than you already are. Be happy there are ppl who care, instead of berating them for it.

fact is all one has to do is promote to others what charity is needy, so yes talking about helping charities is fine as far as i am concerned, however telling how much money a person has donated or what specifically they donated is a croc, and it’s a way of getting praise. giving to charity is important and i never said otherwise. volunteers are important and i never said otherwise. promoting charities by the organisers is important and i never said otherwise. let me reiterate; its pathetic to watch people go on about what they specifically did and inevitably people will praise...its more like a popularity contest and taking into account that the people who need charity find it demoralising that they need it, i therefore consider it crass to talk about how great one is for doing something that millions do everyday quietly. it's looking for recognition which i am opposed to. this is my opinion and the way i have been brought up; to have some humility and have respect for those in need.

In regard to inspiration – all one has to do is talk about a charity that is needy (not about them) – after that it’s down to ones conscious

So looking forward to the spectacle to come coz you will never get this.

I have to say, at this point I’m not making any more comments about this as there is no point. You all seem confused and it’s useless to try and explain this concept to you.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You all seem confused and it’s useless to try and explain this concept to you.
    If I'd been drinking milk when I read that I would have had to buy a new keyboard.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eco, I've been trying to avoid owning you on this board but you seem to be begging for it.

Anyway, here is the 'Stopper Argument' for this:

If your neighbours had to actually account to you everytime they accepted something like Welfare, there would be A LOT less abuse of the system.

The fact that these charity systems are anonymous vastly increases the chance of abuse. Ppl like you help to make it so.

Think about it:

If, for some reason, I lost my job & needed to accept welfare in order to feed my family, I would have NO PROBLEM doing this, even if it meant I had to ask my neighbours for help. (let's say you had to get 10 local signatures to approve your application for welfare). I would know that I have made sufficient contribution to my community and that, soon, I would again be employed and wouldn't need to continue taking the handout.

Now, imagine the case of the lazy bum who spends his cheques on beer & chips. Can't be bothered to get a decent job (or go to school) even though he/she is perfectly capable. What do you think would happen if THIS person had to get approval from their neighbours, who are *supporting him* by their hard work?

Chances are in the second case, that person would be *shamed* into finding work. And rightly so. Not only that, but in the long run, I believe it would be GOOD for them, because it would give them self-respect to be earning for themselves.

So, to be perfectly frank, I am totally into charity being accountable. Both who gives and who takes. Because those who are truly needy have no reason to be ashamed. And those who aren't have plenty of reason to be ashamed & should be.

That is all. Now go away Eco & do something useful with your life before you go preaching to others about how they should live theirs.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanksgiving is at my parents house again as it usually is (yay!). We do this because the rest of the relatives live in Buffalo and it wouldn't make sense for all them to travel to Rochester during the winter for a holiday because they shouldn't be driving through hefty snowfalls

I haven't had wine since I think last Christmas, and I love wine. I will drink probably one or two glasses with my dinner and enjoy it

Goodness me….You see indi, you just pointed out again how you’re not getting it…..i never suggested the charity systems should be anonymous - it makes sense that the organisers should be accountable….you cant honestly believe that’s what I was suggesting?….jeez…. And I might add yes it would be the perfect world if people who needed and accepted charity didn’t feel demoralised and shameful- but they do…. Please stop trying to make out I’m saying something I’m not, it means I have to respond…use your pop psychology on someone else who falls for it…now let this be done and start telling us all about what you did that makes you the best of 'em all.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    use your pop psychology on someone else who falls for it…now let this be done and start telling us all about what you did that makes you the best of 'em all.
    Its not pop psychology, Eco. You wouldn't know a good argument if it came up and bit you. You don't understand that personal or organization charity, makes no difference to my argument. In any case, I *have* a psychology degree, so it wouldn't be 'pop' (and you wouldn't know it) if I was trying to Psych you.

As for what I've done? Sorry, I am shy. But, rest assured, unless you are Melinda Gates, it is likely more than what you have accomplished. Which is really what you want to know, right? Even tho you recommend anonymity out the other side of your face?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Even tho you recommend anonymity out the other side of your face?

i was being sarcastic indi (i actually thought that was obvious) .
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 18-11-08 at 08:25 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Awww. What you wrote before was better, Eco.

Mbe I'll ask Fras to put it back.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Let's keep this discussion out of this thread, please.

I reopened: [url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/25568-i-gave-away-my-boots-3.html#post392524[/url]

Anyway, I'm staying here in NOLA for thanksgiving, we got some big plans that weekend, but the details are scant, I'll keep yous updated.
    Last edited by Junket; 18-11-08 at 09:07 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm thankful there are still reasonable ppl in this world who aren't afraid to stamp out stupidity when they see it:

Winston Churchill
    Albert Einstein
    Socrates
    Ayn Rand

Frasbee

Well, my oldest brother and his dog err I mean wife is coming down for a wedding. They'll be here for Thanksgiving. He's really my favorite brother and I look forward to seeing him
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

This thread is epic.

It seems like people are trying to make themselves better, but it is actually accusition. "I gave them charity, what did you do?" Its my own business what I do, you don't need to speculate about anything. I know people who have gone down the path. When speaking to some, you'll see that some people have serious story, and some are just so ****ed up they give you shit. Actually many people give pennies to homeless but refuse to recognize them as humans.
    Last edited by boobaa; 18-11-08 at 11:13 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think anybody's asking you what you did. We all know what you've done. Nothing.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

This is stupid.
    Don't expect anything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast