+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

I just read Stephenie Meyer's other book, The Host. It was interesting. My fave bookstore has open till midnight now and they are totally fine with people just chillin reading their books for hours. I don't have enough money to buy as many books as I want, so I've spent about 3-4 hours for the last 2 days sitting there reading The Host. It's very different from Twilight, but pretty good. More plot than the whole Twilight series packed into a compact 600 pages

I just read a book on Topology called Euler's Gem - one of my college profs wrote it. I'm thanked in the Acknowledgments I didn't get through the last few chapters because I wanted to lend it to my sister, but my prof is sending me a copy so now i can finish it. It was pretty interesting if you like math/topo.

i can't get through kite runner because i cannot handle when people write about a rape or torture scene. it makes me sick to my stomach. something like, nausea.

plus it's weird when people write it. the use of imagination that way is just, weird. truth is stranger than fiction, but the fiction writer is probably very strange.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    I just read a book on Topology called Euler's Gem - one of my college profs wrote it. I'm thanked in the Acknowledgments I didn't get through the last few chapters because I wanted to lend it to my sister, but my prof is sending me a copy so now i can finish it. It was pretty interesting if you like math/topo.
    For this^.

Have you read "Flatland"? Its a cute, short book. You'd like it if you are into topology.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    For this^.

Have you read "Flatland"? Its a cute, short book. You'd like it if you are into topology.
    A cute book on topology? I'll have to look into it

The last good book I read was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's set in a dystopian future and the story is kind of Lord of the Flies meets Deathrace 2000.

Gribble, I think you might like it. I found it be a very good sci-fi book.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gribble: The Cyteen II book is out:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Regenesis-C-J-Cherryh/dp/0756405300"]Amazon.com: Regenesis: C. J. Cherryh: Books[/ame]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't have enough money to buy as many books as I want, so I've spent about 3-4 hours for the last 2 days sitting there reading
    Y'know, most libraries sell used books literally for pocket change. I regularly raid the local libraries every few months. I get stacks of books three feet high for under ten bucks. Sometimes even the new stuff.

Starbie, that actually looks really awesome. I don't know what Deathrace 2000 is, but if it's anything like Mad Max I think I'll like it. Might be a good book to lend to my sister after I'm done.

Indi, I haven't started the first one yet I'm afraid. I really need to. Maybe once I finish up that WWII book.

Speaking of which, it just keeps getting better and better. I was afraid the last hundred pages or so after the battle would be dull. Wrong. Sailors tread water as depth charges from their doomed vessels detonate beneath them, each one potentially capable of blowing their bowels out. Sharks harass the men almost constantly. Screams and splashes fill the night as one by one survivors are pulled under. Through it all guys with horrific injuries and burns are just struggling to keep their heads above water, much less defend against predators. All this and no rescue in sight.
    Last edited by Gribble; 11-01-09 at 10:04 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A cute book on topology? I'll have to look into it
    I read it when I was young. My son is going to start it in the next year or so, now he understands basic geometry. Your professor will have certainly read it. He might even have a copy to loan you.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland[/url]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    "We are by no means obliged to seek illumination from the mystic doctrines of spiritists to obtain a clearer vision of multidimensional geometry"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Have you read it, DM, or is that from the wiki page?

The section on men and women is great.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Have you read it, DM, or is that from the wiki page?

The section on men and women is great.
    No, I have not read it, but I read the summary on the Wikipedia page

That quote is just one of my favorites, one I have memorized, and I use it when people start talking about "dimensions" in such meaningless form

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I like it so much, in fact, that I'm going to repeat it

"We are by no means obliged to seek illumination from the mystic doctrines of spiritists to obtain a clearer vision of multidimensional geometry"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm surprised you like that quote, DM. I happen to agree with it.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Surprised? Are you serious!?

Wouldn't you know that I dislike soft math and science and sstatements perpetuating an annoying misunderstanding like that

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sorry, what misunderstanding by 'soft scientists' are you referring to? Whose quote is that, its not Flatland, that I remember. Sounds more like Einstein, or some other physicist.

Actually, I take that back. Einstein isn't usually that vague about things.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast