+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    That's a catch-22 if ever I saw one.
    I wonder what would happen if responsible, intelligent and caring adults used the "Mormon model" of child production without the Religious component
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Well there's a difference. Societal expectations place a high level of importance regarding siring children as proof of adulthood. Some people are meant to be parents, some people aren't.

If you don't want kids, then do the world a favor and don't inflict them upon us. As far as I'm concerned children are an STD.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I wonder what would happen if responsible, intelligent and caring adults used the "Mormon model" of child production without the Religious component
    Responsible, intelligent, and caring adults aren't Mormons. Said people know that it is better to live respectfully within one's environment than to act like a virus attacking anything and everything to adapt it to one's own needs.

There's a reason why Mormons are prepared for the "End Times". Because they know deep down that the world as they know it will end, and that it isn't because they drive a 3mpg SUV. It's because it was God's Will.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Anyone that knows what I chose to do for a living also knows I want kids of my own as soon as possible and lots of them. I'm a kindergarden teacher..
    Every kindergarden teacher resents being a teacher of children that age once their children get there. Simply because by the time they get home, they no longer want to deal with kids "that age" any longer, yet they have one or more waiting for them when they get home.

Good luck with that, and congratulations on a noble calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    That's true. Also the older you get the more difficult it becomes to become pregnant. One of my co-workers was trying to get pregnant by her husband since her late twenties, she only got pregnant ten years later. There are also issues of health, the older women get the more negative health consequences there are to consider. More likelihood of damage to the baby or the mother.
    Pretty much past the age of 35 the chances of a woman becoming (naturally) pregnant drop drastically. The chances of birth defects also increases dramatically at this time. Add in other factors such as obesity (Can also pose pregnancy issues) and family heredity...

Pretty much you need to be ready to start having kids around 25-27 if you really want them. Or pay lots of money and hope they're not psychotic. Or, adopt from 3rd world countries like Madonna and Brangelina.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The vast majority of women in their 30s have healthy babies, and the liklihood of ending up with an ass for the father is much greater inthe 20s than if a woman waits until their 30s. When weighing the risks, I'd say it's better to wait until mom is 30-35 years.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Every kindergarden teacher resents being a teacher of children that age once their children get there.
    Ha! This is true of the two K-teachers I know. They both say "kids? I have 25 all day, why would I want more"?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

babies are little demons.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You know you want some, Miso. You'd be perfect for handling little demons.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    The vast majority of women in their 30s have healthy babies, and the liklihood of ending up with an ass for the father is much greater inthe 20s than if a woman waits until their 30s. When weighing the risks, I'd say it's better to wait until mom is 30-35 years.
    I think 30-35 is a good age range, it gets more complicated later on.

I found some of the downsides related to pregnancies for older women in this article

[url]http://www.ninemonths.com.au/planning-a-pregnancy/older-women-giving-birth.html[/url]
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Hmm... I guess I'm at the proper age... biologically speaking... for having children and he's at the proper age... speaking in a manner of mental maturity... for having children... wonder if all that is what triggered this onslaught of instinct recently? Who knows... but at this rate, it looks like I'll be in my 30's before I'll feel 'stable enough' to realistically handle the responsibility of children.

Though I have to admit... I do get tired of hearing people ask when I'll have kids... sometimes have to fight back the urge to snap back with "None of your damn business..," but I usually just smile and say "Oh.. I don't know just yet.."
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Societal expectations place a high level of importance regarding siring children as proof of adulthood.
    Ugh.. I had that spout at me as well... Usually from mothers who treat their children like super fragile 'little people' with oh so delicate little egos that scream in restaurants while she has the look of 'it's not my fault.. honest' on her face.

Having children is not a measure of maturity or a sign of adulthood. If you were immature before having children... chances are you will still be immature after having children. So there is something more than just dropping a kid into your life that makes you 'grow up' and I think it's something far more complicated.

Also.. not having children is not necessarily a sign of immaturity either... Some people are mature enough to realize that having children at that given time is unrealistic and would pose far too many problems. This is an approach that I wish more people would take... Not that I'm complaining.. but it would've been nice to grow up in a more stable household (and actually have new toys... once).
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

As far as I'm concerned children are an STD.
    Watch 0:57-1:12
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_4szyx8IU"]YouTube - House M.D. - The clinic could be more interesting[/ame]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love House.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Having children is not a measure of maturity or a sign of adulthood.
    I like the Breakfast Club analogy.

"How come you need a license to buy a dog, drive a car, even to catch fish but they'll let any idiot be a parent?"

Some people just have bad enough lives growing up that they know they're screwed up, and are not willing to inflict that upon their children. Even passively as a by-product of trying not to do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast