+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do girls think about guys who carry guns?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    I don't see why it's such a big deal. I plan on having a handgun in my house in case of an unwanted intrusion. Would I regret killing someone? No. If you break into my house and I fear for my life, I will shot you dead without remorse. My life is more important than that of some scumbag burglar.

Would I carry it with me everywhere I went? No. It would most likely stay locked up in my house with a fingerprint trigger lock.
    But why a handgun? Handguns are shitty all around. They do two things well and two things only. They're easy to conceal and they're easy to carry.

Why not get a shotgun? Low penetration so you aren't putting holes through your neighbors house. They don't require a great deal of accuracy. They have a HELL of a lot of stopping power. And if you do manage to miss, well, most likely the burglar just shat himself and is running for his life.

I don't get America's obsession with handguns. They suck unless you're planning to carry one around. If it's just going to sit in your home until someone tries to break in why not have a better weapon at hand?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i would only think less of a guy with a gun if he didn't know how to use it, store it properly, never cleans it, etc.

the whole "only cops should have guns" thing is incredibly silly to me.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i would only think less of a guy with a gun if he didn't know how to use it, store it properly, never cleans it, etc..
    Agrees... shows that not only is the guy irresponsible, but he's an idiot... and a dangerous one at that.

the whole "only cops should have guns" thing is incredibly silly to me.

Not a big fan of that... I think responsible citizens should have a right to defend themselves... to hunt animals.. and engage in highly regulated sporting events.

The whole "only cops should have guns" thing is way too communistic for me... the governement has enough power as it is.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Everyone is different.

I would not date someone who carries a gun. I just dont think that it's right. I know there are lots of bad places now but by more people carrying guns it does not make things better, I think that it makes it worse.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gribble has got it right. Sure, have a gun. But not a concealed one, and in order to get it you have to be over 16, register it and pass a training course and pay an annual licence fee. Then there's a least a societal standard. Surely even the most hard-core NRA person would not argue that training for a weapon is a bad idea? Its a good compromise, IMO. Plus, the fees can go towards firearm education, etc.

Just like a car, really. Everyone who wants a gun can still have one. Its crazy there are requirements for a car but not a gun.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    But why a handgun? Handguns are shitty all around. They do two things well and two things only. They're easy to conceal and they're easy to carry.

Why not get a shotgun? Low penetration so you aren't putting holes through your neighbors house. They don't require a great deal of accuracy. They have a HELL of a lot of stopping power. And if you do manage to miss, well, most likely the burglar just shat himself and is running for his life.

I don't get America's obsession with handguns. They suck unless you're planning to carry one around. If it's just going to sit in your home until someone tries to break in why not have a better weapon at hand?
    Yah I don't get this one either, a shotgun would be far more effective than hand gun if you really needed to use it.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I think there's a big difference between constantly carrying a gun on you and carrying one in your vehicle and in your home. For home defense, a 410 shot gun with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip is definitely sufficient and has plenty of stopping power, but not enough to go through walls into opposing rooms where others may be.

But in a vehicle, you pretty much need to have a pistol since it would be rather difficult to conceal and grab a rifle quickly if you needed to use it. Imagine, you're getting carjacked by a guy with a gun. Are you going to say, "Hey, hang on a second while I get my hunting rifle from behind the seat of truck so I can defend myself." I'd much rather have my pistol in my door within arms reach.

That being said: You should not brag about your gun or owning a gun or displaying it. I also don't agree with carrying it on your person at all times. I know some people that do and they are definitely the type that get off on the power trip. My dad carries a pistol in his glove compartment and another in the trunk. Both are concealed and not visible, even when the glove compartment and/or trunk are open. At our ranch, we have plenty of rifles. I just don't see the need for the gun to be on your person unless you are in an extremely shady area where walking through the streets you actually are in fear of your life.

About gun safety/training: I'm all for it.
    You're my chorus, my refrain
    The verse of my first pain

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Yah I don't get this one either, a shotgun would be far more effective than hand gun if you really needed to use it.

Agrees... when I lived in the country... shotgun was the preferred weapon for home defense... if you had a .380 or 9mm handgun at home, you'd probably get laughed at. In the middle of the night when you still groggy and scared shitless... that gun is going to shake a lot and you'll probably miss the intruder altogether. Good luck trying to hit center mass if the gun is shaking worse than a California earthquake. Plus the pellets from a shotgun are less likely to penetrate the walls --- just in case you forget one of the key rules (pay attention to what's behind your target).

A handgun is really only good for two scenarios... in your car, and if you're mugged in a dark alley, and that's only because of the close range. Any further than 10 or so feet, you risk missing the target completely.

With other posts... I do believe more education is required for a person to go through before being allowed to have a gun. It would be nice to not have to hear about someone getting hurt or killed for something as stupid as failing to make sure the gun was unloaded when cleaning it. Though in the country, when something like that happens... it's jokingly called a 'self-correcting problem.'

Now that I think about it, in the country where everyone slept with the front doors unlocked, the burglaries were rather rare, since it was assumed everyone had a nasty shotgun waiting to get you, and their dogs would surely sound the alarm. Even though the country was boring as hell... I have to say, it did feel rather safe.

We did have a couple of houses burglaries happen in the small town I lived in... I think one of them scared the intruder off (only a little bit of blood found) and the other one involved the guy (an out-of-towner) getting shot in the leg (I think he lost the use of it.. can't remember).

I never shot anyone, but I have been attacked before when I had to walk home from work in the middle of the night. All I had was a butterfly knife.. he grabbed me from behind.. so I reverted to what I had been taught --- stab, twist, and release. I think I got him in the inner thigh. I didn't stick around to make sure he was ok... I just ran home. Checked the newspapers... nothing about someone checking into the hospital or any odd obituaries... so I'm not sure if he died or not. Don't really care... he was trying to hurt me, maybe even rape me... so I feel my actions were justified.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

i like to have my handgun around for road trips. me and the girls like to go on road trips and it's scary as hell if you're out there, a couple of females, in the dark at a rest stop. you need to be packin just in case you know?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I never shot anyone, but I have been attacked before when I had to walk home from work in the middle of the night. All I had was a butterfly knife.. he grabbed me from behind.. so I reverted to what I had been taught --- stab, twist, and release. I think I got him in the inner thigh. I didn't stick around to make sure he was ok... I just ran home. Checked the newspapers... nothing about someone checking into the hospital or any odd obituaries... so I'm not sure if he died or not. Don't really care... he was trying to hurt me, maybe even rape me... so I feel my actions were justified.
    3" Gerber goes with me everywhere.

i like to have my handgun around for road trips. me and the girls like to go on road trips and it's scary as hell if you're out there, a couple of females, in the dark at a rest stop. you need to be packin just in case you know?
    I agree a million times over.
    You're my chorus, my refrain
    The verse of my first pain

Prior service military.

I'm not missing anything with a ****ing handgun.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Prior service military.

I'm not missing anything with a ****ing handgun.

You have to admit... the average person who shoots their gun possibly once a year... is not going to be able to shoot with any accuracy under stressful situations. A shotgun is better for home defense for such people.

- James Allen

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Who cares what women think of you and your regularity with guns? That's one thing I always liked about guns, the legal gun crowd, the illegal gun crowd, and GUYS who identified more strongly with weapons- it wasn't and isn't a womens business and her opinion isn't worth its weight in SHIT

And about the living in Detroit, New Orleans, DC, etc- give me a break. Unless you live IN the city on an avenue named after a letter you may as well be living in the country. Which, if you're making more than $50k a year and aren't an idiot, you probably will be not in the bad part of the city. People always say they live in a city that has a certain reputation, but none of those people live in the parts of the city that gave it that reputation
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 19-02-09 at 08:45 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Who cares what women think of you and your regularity with guns? That's one thing I always liked about guns, the legal gun crowd, the illegal gun crowd, and GUYS who identified more strongly with weapons- it wasn't and isn't a womens business and her opinion isn't worth its weight in SHIT
    Shut up you little twat. You should be doing your military duty in Iraq or Afghanistan instead of hiding your pussy ass as a student in the safe ole USA and *playing* with guns pretending to be a real man.

Cain is doing both. That's a REAL man.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Well, to answer your question, I wouldn't think much of him. Handguns should only be carried by police or MPs.
    Ah come on Indi!

Are you seriously saying you won't find a guy more attractive wearing this?

Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast