+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I want out.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love Portland, but the rest of it? eh.

I lived in Eugene. It has it's redeeming qualities. The skinheads were too scary for me in Portland.
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    The places I've visited, of course... same as anyone else.

Also, the quality of the healthcare is the same as anywhere else, and probably better. The best doctors and hospitals tend to be in large cities. Traffic (in the cities) is pretty bad, though. However, I am largely unaffected by it, and the smog is better than it has been in years.
    Its not the same as everyone else. Lots of people actually have the experience of living in another state or country. Travelling to a place for a week or two isn't at all the same. You don't generally use their healthcare, schools, other infrastructure that is part of everyday life. E.g. I love Pacific Mexico, its great for a holiday, but I'd never live there. I don't think that's quite the same as someone who has actually lived there tho, having the same opinion.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I lived in Eugene. It has it's redeeming qualities. The skinheads were too scary for me in Portland.
    Eugene is very nice. Great schools, great university, small town feel w/big city amenities. A bit too far from the ocean, tho, IMO. Not for those who like the big city life tho, but that's not me.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Its not the same as everyone else. Lots of people actually have the experience of living in another state or country. .
    Haha! okay, indi. Although I was pretty sure we were talking about states in the U.S. (and not places in the world), I'm sure my opinion is completely invalid, and I suppose it is too much to imagine that I actually have my own set of criteria that are important as far as what makes a place liveable.

Whatever.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL. Okay, you win. California is the best U.S. state to live in. You've lived in all of them. Not to mention that if California is the best the US has to offer, then I guess it explains the world liveability rankings.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Again, who cares about the world? We are talking American states. And BTW - my city ranks pretty high, or at least it does according to Forbes. We were ranked number 18 out of the top 100 places to live a couple of years ago.

But really, the proximity to Los Angeles (culture), the ocean, the desert, and skiing, national parks, and rivers is why I like it... plus it's diverse population. I'd immediately be uninterested in living in a homogenous community, which wipes out the vast majority of places to live.

Oh, and our public schools are fantastic.
    Last edited by vashti; 23-10-09 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gigabitch View Post
    almost every texan i've met outside of texas was a boorish fool. (zarathu is the exception).
    wahahahahahahaha!

Also, Texans can't ****ing ski and they should stop trying. Spread the word.
    The Southern U.S. as a whole doesn't know how to ski, I have witnessed some attempts and they just end up on a tubing hill in awe of snowfall.

I remember the first time I went skiing with a guy from my college, hailing from Texas. He saw me ski backwards and was absolutely boggled. His facial expression was so funny I actually lost my balance laughing and yard sale'd right under a lift, much to everyone else's amusement. Now, he is actually a very good and accomplished skier, he can push me some days, its nice to have competition without having to ski through gates.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Personally, I'd choose Australia or Chile over California.
    If Australia was an option I would be bouncing out on the next plane to take off, FedEx included.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 23-10-09 at 02:23 AM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

If the USA were a cow, California would be the dirty asshole. Wahahahaha! Get it? Ass-hole!

What a kneeslapper!

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    wahahahahahahaha!
    His manners are impeccable.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    His manners are impeccable.
    He's also really smart.

I'm like Cameron. I like to be spanked.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Again, who cares about the world? We are talking American states. And BTW - my city ranks pretty high, or at least it does according to Forbes. We were ranked number 18 out of the top 100 places to live a couple of years ago.
    You DO live in a nice part of Cali, but still too far from the ocean (for me).

FYI, the Forbes 2009 Top 20 doesn't have a single US city on the list. In fact, the only NA cities were Canadian (Vancouver was 4th, Ottawa & Toronto also made the list), the rest were from NZ/Oz and Urp.

Anyway, glad you are proud of your home. Its way better than saying "yea, my home sucks". But, just putting it in perspective.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    If Australia was an option I would be bouncing out on the next plane to take off, FedEx included.
    Here's the Forbes list:

Australia is great. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Might, in fact.

[url]http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/cities-best-live-lifestyle-real-estate-best-places-to-live_slide_2.html?thisspeed=25000[/url]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast