+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Career.

To Bo:

I am in a similar situation--just graduated from college and grad school, and yet don't know 100% what I want to do. What I did was to think about what career I would be most happy/satisfied with when I am 50 years old. What would I feel best about having accomplished? Then go for those goals. From what I've seen in university, the people who get the farthest are those who've known what they wanted to do at an early age--even if these people weren't the smartest 10 years ago, because they were able to apply themselves to pursuing one goal, they eventually got there farther than people who flip flopped (such as myself...). I figured planning your career by thinking about what you'd be happy about when you're retiring is better than going haphazardly, or just doing what everyone else around you is doing. I think this is probably the best way to prevent regrets--since if you fail now when you are 50, at least you only have yourself to blame.

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlliance View Post
    To Bo:

I am in a similar situation--just graduated from college and grad school, and yet don't know 100% what I want to do. What I did was to think about what career I would be most happy/satisfied with when I am 50 years old. What would I feel best about having accomplished? Then go for those goals. From what I've seen in university, the people who get the farthest are those who've known what they wanted to do at an early age--even if these people weren't the smartest 10 years ago, because they were able to apply themselves to pursuing one goal, they eventually got there farther than people who flip flopped (such as myself...). I figured planning your career by thinking about what you'd be happy about when you're retiring is better than going haphazardly, or just doing what everyone else around you is doing. I think this is probably the best way to prevent regrets--since if you fail now when you are 50, at least you only have yourself to blame.
    Well that's what i'e been thinking, I don't want to go for a career that isn't going to be enjoyable for me in the long run. It's just difficult choosing something that I feel like is realistic and also going to make me happy.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

Realistic... yeah this is coming back to bite me now. I flip flopped when I was a freshman, decided to go the safe route to study business rather than study philosophy, which would've led me to law school by now. After getting my business degree, I studied for law school, and didn't get into a single one. Now I'm ambivalent about my business major, and kind of stuck in limbo about what I want to do. The worst thing is getting this sinking, depressing feeling now that I had a choice then to pursue my interest, gave it up, and now I'm behind everyone around me. I know I am every inch as smart as my classmates, but I didn't pursue one thing for a long time, and now I'm sitting here, unemployed because I ain't qualified much for any one career.

The way I see things now: Give myself 1-3 years to pursue one of my life passions; if this fails, then go pursue another grad degree to change my career course. But by this second time, I'll be in my late 20's, and I'm just gonna go down the other path that I set for myself. No turning back, no flip flopping. If I end up hating the second career, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with it, because if you flip flop when you are in your 30's, I think that'll be too late to climb up one career ladder--and I ultimately want to be at the top in something.

What I'm trying to say is, personally, I've learned from my mistake about not being decisive, so now I'm going to just go down a track that I like, and if I make it, great, if not, then I'm the only one to blame.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123