+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club- Season 4 - Weekend At Bernies ( Reviewing Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    Frankly, dollhouse, you shouldn't apologize at all. A) We all vote on which movie to watch and not everybody is going to like every movie. B) We made it VERY clear that the point of this round was to intentionally pick a bad movie. In my personal opinion, this wound up going much better for us than it could have. We wound up with a movie from the "so bad it's good" category rather than the just "so bad it's God awfully bad" category. LOL!
    agreed. it was a fair vote and bernie's movie( your movie) won and I don't think it's the worse of the bunch either. it's stupid and ridiculous but that is probably what makes it a cult classic because it actually for that time has an original concept for a movie/comedy. it definitely isn't a difficult watch at all, and had some good points and bad points that make it discussable.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Sorry I was scared to post on here because I thought it had a virus off last visit, lol?
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] - I feel the same as TEJ and Exeter. No need for any apologies the movie you picked and vote the movie vote was a good one, sure it is dumb but it is still a fun watch especially for us who have never seen it before. No one really ripped it a so called new one yet, outside of pc saying it was sick without even viewing it lol.

I liked the movie insider information you gave us too about the director being Richard's dad in the movie. I can discuss this more next week, promise.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jffs24 View Post
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] -- who was Tawny?
    Sorry for the delayed reply on this, Jffs24.

Tawny was the bikini clad girl who walked into Bernie's beach house surprising the - "guys" - saying about the floating party Bernie hosts and she had a itty bitty bikini on but was wearing socks, not anklet ones either, with runners on and I found it so stupid, who wears socks at the beach and with a g-string bikini.

I'll try to insert a photo of her, but it may not show her socks, but if you rewatch the movie you'll see what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked and she is John Paul ( Dejoria's wife) Mitchell ( half of the famous hair care line)

Quote Originally Posted by dollhouse View Post
    Who was all of yours favorite and least favorite character or characters?

Favorites were: Larry and the hitman

Least Favorite : Mob guys gf
    My favorite character was the little red headed boy.

My least favorite character was the annoying party guest harassing dead Bernie for a business deal or something, I forget what it fully was but he kept showing up and I was bored with him the first time with him and he just kept going to annoyance and not funny each time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by megvoh View Post

Since dollhouse asked about favorite and least favorite characters. I'll ask what was your favorite and least favorite scenes, what made you LOL and what made you say FFS!

My favorite scene would be when they take him out of the speedboat lol
    Least favorite would be that party scene. Just didn't work for laughs more for groans and like I say FFS's.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] - you mentioned that you thought the beach house looked like an office building I never thought until reading you say that that yes it did.
    Read article on movie and they said that beach house was made from scratch specially for the movie and because the area was a wildlife area they had to dismantle and leave no trace of it after filming.
    It really did look like his relaxing home on the beach was a office building and that is a lot of work to just build that and tear it away after, wonder why they picked an area like that to create sets on if it was a protected area, it was a nice spot though.

I'd agree that huge party scene just didn't play for many laughs, but more stupidity but maybe they were going for the stupidity vapid factor of those people over yuk yuks. I also didn't enjoy the long intro into the movie, music included of them heading into work.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll ask a group question as well.

Who if any of the characters did you relate to the most and even saw yourself in? If none can say none.

For me it was a cross between Gwen and Richard. ( although I hated how giggly they made Gwen in the beginning)
    Last edited by topazlight; 07-08-16 at 04:27 AM.

^^^ i would be a mixture of richard and larry. i can be very focused when it comes to training and work and serious and then with certain groups of friends and family i am the opposite on my down time, not as much of a goof as larry but i can be the one who does stupid shit for a laugh.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

That is a good balance, Exeter19. For Gwen, she is girly, open to others and love and forgiving but she is also has it seems trust issues and does not want to be lied to and all those things I can relate back to myself.

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] -- see you are on now too, thanks, hun for answering and sorry meg for not participating much in this movie review outside of giving you my review earlier on but life has been a hectic shit fest lately.

I recall her now, but not the socks but it does sound stupid wonder why they went with that option, for laughs or maybe it was her choice -- whole movie lacked sense so goes with everything else.

On your question, topaz -- I'd say the character of Larry the most.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Hello, Jffs24. You could probably see it on some clip of that scene on YouTube without having to watch the movie over again.

What do you see in Larry that you picked him? and dollhouse and megvoh asked questions previously if you check back in this thread that you could also answer about the movie if you wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Post # 16 and post # 19

Thanks, topaz -- I'll scroll back and see what those questions were then.

- - - Updated - - -

dollhouse's q: Who was all of yours favorite and least favorite character or characters?

Favorite -- Larry and Bernie
    Least favorite -- All the party guests ( that scene had a lot of comic gold potential and it felt squandered)

- - - Updated - - -

megvoh's q: I'll ask what was your favorite and least favorite scenes, what made you LOL and what made you say FFS!

Who said the hit man realizing he didn't do his job right when seeing Bernie so he thought alive -- that was funny to me too. Most of the scenes others have previously said they thought were funny so did I -- like Bernie washing up on the beach just as Richard gets his kiss on, or the kid giving them the finger. MY ffs! was the party scene, the mob wife side piece whatever she was going to f uck Bernie and not even suspect the dude was dead, them taking out the hitman, lots that made me go ffs this is stupid rofl.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] and [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] -- I knew that would garner a reply because you both love those types of movies * evil laugh*

Man, that guy was the director that was a funny scene too.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    I'll ask a group question as well.

Who if any of the characters did you relate to the most and even saw yourself in? If none can say none.
    Hi, Topaz.
    I didn't really see myself in any of them but maybe a wee bit like Larry, he seemed care free and was happy to be himself, so that I could relate too.
    But was also very self centered, and that isn't me. I hope lol

I remember the girl and agree it was weird to wear socks with a bathing suit. LOL! I can't quite recall, though. Was it just socks, or sock AND sneakers? I feel like it would at least make a little more sense if she had sneakers as well, but even so I still agree. Who in the heck goes to the beach in a bikini..... and socks?

Anyway, I don't know if I necessarily had a particular favorite scene or character, but I enjoyed a lot of them. I also wouldn't necessarily say, this time, that I saw myself in any of the characters. The whole situation of the movie was just far too bizarre for me to relate with any of them. LOL! But, again, that felt intentional in this movie. Again, I don't think for a minute any of this was supposed to seem relate-able or realistic. It was supposed to be ridiculous and goofy.

Thanks, TheEvilJester, Exeter19 and megvoh for saying that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    I would also say Gwen since she was really the only relatable woman in the movie and being a female myself, yup...her... but sometimes I have the inner self doubts that Richard had about himself as well.

Hehehe [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION] ~ so naughty of you. ;-]

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] ~ For myself maybe Larry which isn't really complimentary but I am not by the books like Richard and we got to see the most personality - wise of only the two main characters, so out of them I'd say Larry.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

As this winds down I'll leave quotes from the movie :

Larry Wilson: Why don't we just pretend he didn't die? Just for a bit!

Larry Wilson: How do you like that? The guy gets laid more times dead than I do alive.

Richard Parker: Well, you're a half hour late.
    Larry Wilson: Only half hour? I'm usually forty-five minutes late. I'm early today.

Mugger: Give me all your money and your wallets.
    Larry Wilson: Aw, get your ass outta here, it's too hot!

( lol I forgot about that scene - it was a funny one too )

Gwen Saunders: (whispering) Richard! Richard, there's a man... in his underwear... in your kitchen.
    Richard Parker: (whispering) It's ok. He's with me. He's my, um... my butler.
    Gwen Saunders: You have a butler?
    Richard Parker: Yeah, it's okay, shh... he'll go away.
    Jack Parker, Richard's Dad: (walks back from the kitchen, spots Richard and Gwen on the couch) Oh. Oh! I didn't realize you had company. Good evening, young lady.
    Richard Parker: That's all right, Monroe. Yes, would you just go lay out my blue pinstripe for the morning?
    Jack Parker, Richard's Dad: How about if I lay you out?
    Richard Parker: Very well.

Richard Parker: (at Bernie's beach house) Now you see, Larry? All of this could be yours if you set your goals and work hard.
    Larry Wilson: My old man worked hard. All they did was give him more work.

Larry Wilson: What kind of a host invites you to his house for the weekend and dies on you?

Quote Originally Posted by megvoh View Post
    Larry Wilson: What kind of a host invites you to his house for the weekend and dies on you?
    LOL! All particularly good quotes, but I really liked this one. I mean.... because obviously it was Bernie's plan to die, right? LOL!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast