+ Follow This Topic
Page 352 of 405 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402 ... LastLast
Results 5,266 to 5,280 of 6075

Thread: What Annoyed you today

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
    I want normal knowledge, and people who deny me it deserve to die.
    Shut up, loser.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
    I want normal knowledge, and people who deny me it deserve to die.
    Ban the troll, please.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Just to make it short- hour for hour government employees make way more, and if you add in benefits like pensions, WAY more. And they generally speaking don't do shit. (look at teachers in schools)

And job security people in private industry can only dream of
    Teachers actually work pretty hard. I dont blame them for striking, my bf works in the public sector but he is not allowed to strike, otherwise he would have.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Teaching is one of the most difficult and stressful jobs there is. Outside of the stupid tenure program, there isn't any concept of job security for teachers. And starting wages as a teacher are around $10/h, even though it takes at least 6 years to get the required education necessary for the job. I made much more than that when I was 17 years old, and without an education! Teachers are horribly underpaid, and what's worse, they aren't paid more for better service.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 01-07-11 at 10:27 PM.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hmmm maybe there. Not in NY though!

High school teachers work from 7:30 - 2:15. Literally more than half of their day they are either on lunch or have a "study hall" period where they can sit around in their classroom by themselves. They get all the holidays off that students do plus June, July, and August.

And in NY, they get $40k - $80k per year,and in places like Long Island, some school districts average over $100,000, but when you add in their pension, it's probably more like $110k a year (and I mean for the people making $50k a year). Many private sector employees had their pensions yanked out from underneath of them and actually have to save huge chunks of their paychecks for decades. Not to mention a lot of teachers double dip, plenty who I know personally.

I think they should try working for a private company, you know, where you have to work at least 10 hour days (instead of 7), you are actually working while you are at work instead of spending half the time grading papers and chatting with other teachers in this break period called "study hall," where you don't get 3 months off every eyar plus spring break, fall break, etc., where if you don't work hard AND perform you will be laid off or fired, where even if you do work hard and perform you will still probably be laid off and have no pension or an ever decreasing severence pay

Where stress means having to go through layoffs every 6 months and wondering what the hell you'll do if you are laid off since being a 45+ year old engineer makes finding work super hard

There's proabbly a huge deal of variation between states, but in NY at least, teachers need to shut the hell up!
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 01-07-11 at 11:30 PM.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

High school teachers work from 7:30 - 2:15. Literally more than half of their day they are either on lunch or have a "study hall" period where they can sit around in their classroom by themselves. They get all the holidays off that students do plus June, July, and August.

And in NY, they get $40k - $80k per year,and in places like Long Island, some school districts average over $100,000, but when you add in their pension, it's probably more like $110k a year (and I mean for the people making $50k a year). Many private sector employees had their pensions yanked out from underneath of them and actually have to save huge chunks of their paychecks for decades. Not to mention a lot of teachers double dip, plenty who I know personally.

I think they should try working for a private company, you know, where you have to work at least 10 hour days (instead of 7), you are actually working while you are at work instead of spending half the time grading papers and chatting with other teachers in this break period called "study hall," where you don't get 3 months off every eyar plus spring break, fall break, etc., where if you don't work hard AND perform you will be laid off or fired, where even if you do work hard and perform you will still probably be laid off and have no pension or an ever decreasing severence pay

Where stress means having to go through layoffs every 6 months and wondering what the hell you'll do if you are laid off since being a 45+ year old engineer makes finding work super hard

There's proabbly a huge deal of variation between states, but in NY at least, teachers need to shut the hell up!
    i know LAUSD teachers, heck, my friends is one, and she is useless as hell. she chose that job cuz it pays well and she doesn't have much to do and she gets to be home at 3. oh and she is me "best friend" who bailed on me all of a sudden.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My eyes damn near popped out when I saw that the average pension of a teacher is $48k in NYS. Are you FUCCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i know LAUSD teachers, heck, my friends is one, and she is useless as hell. she chose that job cuz it pays well and she doesn't have much to do and she gets to be home at 3. oh and she is me "best friend" who bailed on me all of a sudden.
    Foolish reasons to become a teacher.

Here, teachers work 7:30 to 4:00, everyone teaches at least 6 courses every day, and the average salary is $32,000. How do I know? I'm a teacher. I also worked in retail for 2 years, unloading big heavy boxes from trucks, 10 hours a day, no breaks, no benefits. It was tiring, but I know for a fact that teaching is way more challenging, and without sounding conceited, I don't think we get paid enough. Sure, unloading trucks takes muscle, but I didn't have to go to college for 6 years just to get that job, and it didn't require many skills. If I had the salary and the benefits of teachers in NY, I probably wouldn't quit teaching in a few years. Unfortunately, I only see it as a small phase in my life.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 02-07-11 at 02:35 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It depends on which part of public sector. Some positions make a lot of money, not as much as private for a comparable position (e.g. in Finance) but the job security and pensions more than make up for the difference.

In general, tho, public school teachers don't make a lot of money. At least in Canada. And the working conditions suck. Our previous school principle, close to retirement was only making 80K a year, for all that responsibility. There are much better paying jobs for similar type of work and hours (she worked a LOT).

Admin, on the other hand, make sure they get paid well. Its the same in public universities. You can look up the pay scales of those > 70K a year if interested. At least half of them should be fired, IMO.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    and what's worse, they aren't paid more for better service.
    This is the crux of the problem, right here. With the flip side being that bad teachers (and bad professors and bad admin) can't be easily fired for poor service. Unions.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This is the reason why lawyers love picking dumbasses to serve on their jury-

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/casey-anthony-acquitted-murder-182149052.html]Casey Anthony acquitted of murder - Yahoo! News[/url]

This is the reason why lawyers love picking dumbasses to serve on their jury-

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/casey-anthony-acquitted-murder-182149052.html]Casey Anthony acquitted of murder - Yahoo! News[/url]
    Ugh. Unbelievable. How do these jurors account for the month when the kid was missing and yet Casey hadn't reported the disappearance yet?
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Here, teachers work 7:30 to 4:00, everyone teaches at least 6 courses every day, and the average salary is $32,000. How do I know? I'm a teacher. I also worked in retail for 2 years, unloading big heavy boxes from trucks, 10 hours a day, no breaks, no benefits. It was tiring, but I know for a fact that teaching is way more challenging, and without sounding conceited, I don't think we get paid enough. Sure, unloading trucks takes muscle, but I didn't have to go to college for 6 years just to get that job, and it didn't require many skills. If I had the salary and the benefits of teachers in NY, I probably wouldn't quit teaching in a few years. Unfortunately, I only see it as a small phase in my life.
    wtf???? you're a teacher????

oh and also teachers get to enjoy spring and winter all paid vacations..... which is like what, 4 weeks?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Every time I eat certain kinds of sausage I wake up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. I must be allergic to some ingredient or something.