+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do these things make me "immature"

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I don't discern the difference between video games and reading trash novels. though
    Actually, some video games have an absolutely awesome story telling, much better than the average book (and of course, movie).

If I'm on this forum alone, I have one hell of an imagination.
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 19-06-10 at 04:30 AM.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If I'm on this forum alone, I have one hell of an imagination.
    No...you're not on the forum alone, and I typically don't game alone.

But at this point you need to be clear what games we're talking about, because games, like internet sites and computer programs, are not all the same. The degree which some of them require you to interact with other people vary, and have only been striving be more inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I can't discern the difference between gaming and reading, or playing checkers even.
    One would argue that reading expands your mind, increases your vocabulary, teaches you about other cultures. However, on the other hand video games like reading can decrease stress, improves memory, concentration, and focus. Video games also have a more addictive quality to them.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Early 30's?

You have no idea how wrong your presumptions are.
    As long as they aint my partner, I dont give a shit.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    One would argue that reading expands your mind, increases your vocabulary, teaches you about other cultures. However, on the other hand video games like reading can decrease stress, improves memory, concentration, and focus. Video games also have a more addictive quality to them.
    These references are far too vague to make a constructive argument out of.

Um, I think I should mention that I also find watching sports to be a ridiculous waste of time. And TV as well, for the most part. I do like watching movies, though. And reading. I'm not against sitting still, but I'm generally of the "get off your ass" school of leisure pursuits. Give me a kayak and a picnic and that's a perfect day.
    I agree......

I need more than a 10-foot block of freedom. My brain also starts to go kind of numb when I play video games. I get that is why some guys like that (because it relieves stress), but I can only stand it for so long. I don't like being numb.

I much prefer practicing yoga to relieve my stress. It stretches my muscles and makes my body feel good. I don't feel good when I remain in one place for an extended period of time. It's why I don't watch TV, and why I rarely go to the movies.

Yeah, my kid cries for the latest games all the time. She is 15....I think she is addicted.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 19-06-10 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    Actually, some video games have an absolutely awesome story telling, much better than the average book (and of course, movie).
    Most of them are based around some book or movie. hahaha

These references are far too vague to make a constructive argument out of.
    Increased vocabulary = As you read you come across words you may or may not know. Generally, if you want to understand the text you are reading, you would look up those words to gain a full picture of the story. It is likely that this word will later enter your vocabulary once you know and understand how to use it. Or, you'll understand it when you see it again. This is a form of education that aids in social interaction.

Video games can decrease stress by allowing you to engage in an activity where you don't have to think beyond the task at hand. You generally receive rewards for your efforts in video games. Maybe you solved a puzzle. Maybe you have awesome aim and took first place in MW2 match against people from all over the world. Some games that support puzzling plots and storylines may encourage the player to remember tasks, people, or places. This would aid in increased focus and concentration.

Better?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    Any game based upon a book or movie tends to be very poor in terms of story depth.

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    Not true, most of the games based on movies are pure crap. The ones I'm talking about are just videogames, and in some cases spawned movies and books.

Any game based upon a book or movie tends to be very poor in terms of story depth.
    Agreeds, and most games indeed are NOT based off a movie or book. As a matter of fact, movies are being based off of games now a days.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Increased vocabulary = As you read you come across words you may or may not know. Generally, if you want to understand the text you are reading, you would look up those words to gain a full picture of the story. It is likely that this word will later enter your vocabulary once you know and understand how to use it. Or, you'll understand it when you see it again. This is a form of education that aids in social interaction.

Video games can decrease stress by allowing you to engage in an activity where you don't have to think beyond the task at hand. You generally receive rewards for your efforts in video games. Maybe you solved a puzzle. Maybe you have awesome aim and took first place in MW2 match against people from all over the world. Some games that support puzzling plots and storylines may encourage the player to remember tasks, people, or places. This would aid in increased focus and concentration.

Better?
    Yes, it's better.

However, "videogames" is almost too vague a description to adequately form an argument around.

That's as if I were to say passively watching television, be it network or movie, has negative/positive effects because of "blah".

Just amongst non-interactive video, there are many genres that can be argued to be beneficial or harmful.

Anymore, it's not that a person plays videogames, but more what they're playing, and how they're playing it.

Just take Indie's post about playing strategy games on the computer with her family.

I suspect that's not exactly what many of you had in mind when you began to conjure up your criticisms.

There aren't many points I will really argue with some of you on this topic, but I've been doing my best to dispel many now defunct stereotypes of the hobby for almost a decade.

I will say that the "benefits" many gamers try to claim they gain from videogaming are bullshit.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast