+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum mentality

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    .be like OV he's nasty....he knows it....he's honest and he certainly doesn't take offense....he takes it on the chin..
    OV, however, has a biting wit that is funny & to the point.

Eco, you are starting to be very irritating. Even I'm finding this, and I don't normally think this way about posters. You seem somehow desperate to show us all here the error of our ways. Nothing wrong w/healthy discussion, but you seem more eager than most to go up people's noses, on a whole variety of subjects. Gets really boring after a while, you know?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

"CLASS, Class...settle down."

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    if shhhhh was being ganged up on i would surely know about it.
    exactly....she wasn't being ganged up on......i shall repeat myself for starbuck.........

i get involved when i feel regulars are ganging up on a newbie....simple and straightforward.

And it was a pity mitzel felt he should leave because of a few regulars making fun of him together...real pity....complete kill joys...

nickyd felt she should leave too coz of a few comments from nasty regulars.....that was a pity that she felt she had to.....

disputes happen because people have a difference of opinion....some people like to make personal attacks....sometimes they do it for fun.......as far as i'm concerned....thats fine.......as long as its not a group attacking one person

you either agree or disagree......not that it matters

i say my piece.....live with it or don't
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    exactly....she wasn't being ganged up on......i shall repeat myself for starbuck.........
    Eco, you're wasting way too much energy on this. We get it. You stand up for newbs.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You guys would appreciate this.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26837911/[/url]

ye frasbee....that article was good and made me laugh a bit....its true...people can go wild. I used to work in customer service over the phone and email and sometimes it was shocking the stuff people said that you know they definitely would never have the guts to say face to face. i used to laugh at the ludicrous things said....i'd just put them on hold for a long time pretending i could do something for them...when what they were saying and asking for was impossible....its funny how people think that venting their anger will help get things done.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I more or less act the same way offline as I do on. However, my nastiness is more humorous than serious.

I totally agree with that article, though. You know what's funny? People will talk to you like shit over the phone. They'll talk to you like shit online. In person most carry themselves with at least a small modicum of decency. However, if you work at a store, no matter if you're a brilliant college student trying to make a buck or just some deadbeat, people will treat you like a piece of shit face-to-face.

That's the one that always makes me scratch my head. I can see the anonymity being a factor in the other cases, but what's the excuse there? I'm guessing because the person is on a payroll and can't react without losing his or her job. Makes the cowardly dregs of society feel big and important when they've got someone to talk down to.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    However, if you work at a store, no matter if you're a brilliant college student trying to make a buck or just some deadbeat, people will treat you like a piece of shit face-to-face.
    This is so true. Anyone who has worked in retail knows that customers can be horribly verbally-abusive to employees.

Although I have to say, here in the city, it seems to be the other way around many times. Sometimes I go to a store and get snapped at or an eye-rolling for interrupting the employee's nail filing or conversation with her coworker.

And I have to add that I am also pretty much the same in real life. I don't understand the need to be any different.

I act different on this message board than I do in real life. Not because I'm scared to voice my opinion, but because I can be extremely hateful and I try to avoid making people feel like shit since in a face-to-face encounter, cruel words tend to cause a bigger impact than text.

I'm definitely not scared to voice my opinion or treat someone like shit if I feel they deserve it. I do notice that it's always online that most people are e-badasses though.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Demeaning online personalities is a reflection of how much someone's life sucks in real life. They have to let it all out online because they're afraid of the consequences of expressing their anger in real life.

I think I'm actually more restrained on the forums than I am in real life.

If someone called me a slut in real life (and wasn't joking), he might get a slap across the face.

Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post
    Demeaning online personalities is a reflection of how much someone's life sucks in real life. They have to let it all out online because they're afraid of the consequences of expressing their anger in real life.
    For some people, maybe. I have no problem at all expressing my anger in real life. If someone tries to disrespect me, I'll do the same to them. I've done it no matter who they were. I did it in high school and college. I did it to my clinical instructor just last quarter. I've done it with my parents and people I had never met before. I'll treat you with respect if you treat me with respect... on and offline.
    I don't chase, I replace.

I more or less act the same way offline as I do on. However, my nastiness is more humorous than serious.

I totally agree with that article, though. You know what's funny? People will talk to you like shit over the phone. They'll talk to you like shit online. In person most carry themselves with at least a small modicum of decency. However, if you work at a store, no matter if you're a brilliant college student trying to make a buck or just some deadbeat, people will treat you like a piece of shit face-to-face.

That's the one that always makes me scratch my head. I can see the anonymity being a factor in the other cases, but what's the excuse there? I'm guessing because the person is on a payroll and can't react without losing his or her job. Makes the cowardly dregs of society feel big and important when they've got someone to talk down to.

I feel the same about how peope act when they drive as well. It is almost like the car acts as a barrier for appropriate behaviour. All of sudden it's ok to drive like a jerk and flip the bird.

I remember being tailed and abused by a car because I didn't go through an amber light but instead stopped (which was the right thing to do).

Back OT though. The only forum I have been on that is fine for new people is Vogue forums. Only problem is that it is highly screened for new people so most of your first 20 posts you don't even see until the moderators deem you worthy of joining. It's also to weed out the spammers etc but frustrating when you keep posting and can't see your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    You guys would appreciate this.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26837911/[/url]
    Interesting article. I'm the same online, offline, on the phone, in person, in the car, etc.

The only time I developed a split personality was with the ex. That man drove me crazy.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    However, if you work at a store, no matter if you're a brilliant college student trying to make a buck or just some deadbeat, people will treat you like a piece of shit face-to-face.

Society is too polite sometimes. We've declined to work a few abusive clients over the years at my company. Its rare, but it happens. What's interesting about it, is that they are usually shocked when someone calls them out on their behaviour.

Its a pity one can't just pop a few of these ppl in the face w/a quick jab. Would do a world of good for those few who need it, IMO. The next best thing is to simply remove yourself from them. Refuse to tolerate it & tell them politely why w/o apology.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast