+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Whats the deal with body enhancements?

This thread reminds me that yesterday in the hospital, the nurses were talking about having to put a catheter in an 80 year old man with a penile implant.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how I feel about body enhancements, but I am concerned about how common it is becoming. I don't think it says a lot about our culture when it becomes normal to be unnatural. I don't think this is a very psychologically healthy impression for young women to have. No wonder women hate their bodies so much.
    Last edited by shh!; 05-09-08 at 09:37 PM.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Why do black people spend lots of welfare money and credit to pay for rims and grills? It's so they can look like something they are not. Any black person that thinks they should go to school and spend their money wisely should be ashamed of turning their back on their culture.
    That was straight up racist, buddy.

LadyNisha's comment was not, she was just questioning why a group of people would want to take away the one feature that would identify them with their own culture. Kind of like MJ trying to erase every feature of his that identified him as black.

I don't dig racist comments......so that kind of pissed me off.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I think the point Frasbee was trying to make was somehow lost to us all. Frasbee - maybe you should should try to rephrase what you mean? Because I don't really think you ARE a racist...

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Not everyone that goes for elective surgery is seeking perfection. I had a mole that was on my upper back that was overgrown. I didn't like it and so I got it removed. I've not once been tempted to get surgery again. Does that mean that I'm now going to be going after perfection for the rest of my life?
    ok, there's a huge difference between removing a mole and doing plastic surgery. In my previous post, I was referring to plastic surgeries. To risk your own health for beauty is just stupid.

Removing a single mole is understandable but personally I wouldn't even do it because I prefer to let things flow naturally. I've never removed moles from my body nor do I wear make-up anymore. If I get old and get wrinkles and have grey hair...I wouldn't mind. If someone mind something so trivial such as a mole on their face...then I highly doubt they will ever be satisfied with their overall physical appearance. The only way to resist further temptation is to completely change your own perception and to truely accept yourself for who you are.
    There's also always the chance that I'll be richer than Bill Gates, become President of the United States, and will have sex with you in the backseat of a limo.

Am I counting on it? No.
    Why are you basing your argument on something completely irrelevant. Look at it in a bigger context, ok?
    Last edited by lastwish; 06-09-08 at 03:20 AM.

The point is that you're generalizing by saying that any person that gets any plastic surgery done will never be satisfied with just that one procedure and I think that's ridiculous.

Fine, you don't want that surgery done to yourself. Good for you. But there's nothing wrong with others getting it. Like I said before, about about the person that loses a lot of weight and wants the extra skin folds removed?
    I don't chase, I replace.

The point is that you're generalizing by saying that any person that gets any plastic surgery done will never be satisfied with just that one procedure and I think that's ridiculous.

Fine, you don't want that surgery done to yourself. Good for you. But there's nothing wrong with others getting it. Like I said before, about about the person that loses a lot of weight and wants the extra skin folds removed?
    I don't think I'm overgeneralizing at all. Health over beauty is a sensible principle to follow. If the risk to your health outweighs your benefit (i.e beauty) even under the example of getting extra skin removed after a massive weight loss, one should choose health. For example, if the doctor tells you are not in the condition to do such skin removal surgery after your weight loss and if you do, you are risking your life, then why would you choose to force yourself to undergo the surgery?

If you are a completely normal person with no deformities...then why the heck would you do even ONE surgery? The only explanation I can think of is that the person has low self esteem. When a person has low self esteem...its an emotional/mental problem...not because there really is anything wrong with their body. When its an emotional/mental problem...it stays with the person...it won't go away with one surgery.Thats why I think low self-esteem should be fix from its roots by changing one's perception, not externally through plastic surgeries.
    Last edited by lastwish; 06-09-08 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lastwish View Post
    I don't think I'm overgeneralizing at all. Health over beauty is a sensible principle to follow. If the risk to your health outweighs your benefit (i.e beauty) even under the example of getting extra skin removed after a massive weight loss, one should choose health. For example, if the doctor tells you are not in the condition to do such skin removal surgery after your weight loss and if you do, you are risking your life, then why would you choose to force yourself to undergo the surgery?

If you are a completely normal person with no deformities...then why the heck would you do even ONE surgery? The only explanation I can think of is that the person has low self esteem. When a person has low self esteem...its an emotional/mental problem...not because there really is anything wrong with their body. When its an emotional/mental problem...it stays with the person...it won't go away with one surgery.Thats why I think low self-esteem should be fix from its roots by changing one's perception, not externally through plastic surgeries.
    Of course someone should choose health over beauty, but what makes you think that all elective surgeries are unhealthy? Why would extra skin removal be unhealthy? Why would a nose job be unhealthy? Why would the removal of a mole be unhealthy?

Of course someone should choose health over beauty, but what makes you think that all elective surgeries are unhealthy? Why would extra skin removal be unhealthy? Why would a nose job be unhealthy? Why would the removal of a mole be unhealthy?
    Because they all involve a risk factor to your health? Although it varies in degree depending on the type. No cosmetic surgery is always better for your body. Changing someone's perception might take longer than going through a quick fix surgery in most cases but a better alternative in the long run. There's no short cuts in repairing your self-esteem.

Because they all involve a risk factor to your health? Although it varies in degree depending on the type. No cosmetic surgery is always better for your body. Changing someone's perception might take longer than going through a quick fix surgery in most cases but a better alternative in the long run. There's no short cuts in repairing your self-esteem.
    Everything you do in this world has a risk involved. You take a risk every time you drive a car.

Certain things can't be fixed naturally. Extra skin, for example.

Everything you do in this world has a risk involved. You take a risk every time you drive a car.

Certain things can't be fixed naturally. Extra skin, for example.
    LOL. You would do anything to win this argument won't you? Even if it involve sacraficing your so call "principles"? Aren't you the one who told Onlyvirgins that he was being stupid for saying that he doesn't want to live life in fear so there's nothing wrong with him eating a lollypop that has been in a stripper's coochie?

Sure, everything involves a risk...even walking out in the street to buy your groceries. Life is short enough and there are enough "potential" risks in life...so why complicate your life even further with "beauty enchancements" and cosmetic surgeries?

I think there's a defining line on when cosmetic surgery is ok and isn't. Something like excess skin being removed is one of those things I would give an OK. Because like Cain said, there's no way you can get rid of it naturally. If you've put in enough effort to lose that much fat that you have excess skin and change your lifestyle naturally, I give you props.

It's people that look completely fine and have nothing wrong with them that go under the knife that I don't agree with. Like boob jobs. Unless you've got something really wrong looking there's no need. Small breasts are completely fine, I hate it when women get breast implants. The majority of the time they don't even look natural. I can walk around on campus and just tell that a 5'6" girl with C's that are super perky and super round just aren't natural. And it's a turn off. Give me the A's, because it says a lot more about a person when they feel they need something like that.

LOL. You would do anything to win this argument won't you? Even if it involve sacraficing your so call "principles"? Aren't you the one who told Onlyvirgins that he was being stupid for saying that he doesn't want to live life in fear so there's nothing wrong with him eating a lollypop that has been in a stripper's coochie?

Sure, everything involves a risk...even walking out in the street to buy your groceries. Life is short enough and there are enough "potential" risks in life...so why complicate your life even further with "beauty enchancements" and cosmetic surgeries?
    There's a lot more risk involved with eating out the pussy of a stripper who he said was with every guy that night over having elective surgery. These surgeries are not as dangerous as you're trying to claim.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    I think there's a defining line on when cosmetic surgery is ok and isn't. Something like excess skin being removed is one of those things I would give an OK. Because like Cain said, there's no way you can get rid of it naturally. If you've put in enough effort to lose that much fat that you have excess skin and change your lifestyle naturally, I give you props.

It's people that look completely fine and have nothing wrong with them that go under the knife that I don't agree with. Like boob jobs. Unless you've got something really wrong looking there's no need. Small breasts are completely fine, I hate it when women get breast implants. The majority of the time they don't even look natural. I can walk around on campus and just tell that a 5'6" girl with C's that are super perky and super round just aren't natural. And it's a turn off. Give me the A's, because it says a lot more about a person when they feel they need something like that.
    I agree that women that get breast implants just to get Cs and Ds are crazy. Some women do need to get implants though. If we go back to the weight loss issue, a woman that lost a lot of weight loss a lot of weight from her breasts too, therefore they are kind of like those of old women. If she gets the extra skin removed, she'll need to get a breast lift as well, and from what I understand she'd also need to get implants.

There's a lot more risk involved with eating out the pussy of a stripper who he said was with every guy that night over having elective surgery. These surgeries are not as dangerous as you're trying to claim.
    What are you, a doctor? I still think its better to focus on working internally on your self-esteem than to try to fix yourself through surgeries.

The excess skin might not go away but your perception of it will change. Just like...someone might not have perfect size boobs but if she works on her self esteem, her perception of her body will change.
    Last edited by lastwish; 06-09-08 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Doing surgeries merely to "fix" your self-esteem is what I'm against...not cosmetic surgery itself. Btw..someone should lose weight for health reasons, not primarily for beauty.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast