+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interesting Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud
    Needless to say SHE was the reason I left that place. I couldn't stand someone telling me how to believe!

I'm getting all fired up just thinking about all this stuff.
    This is the attitude I have, religion makes me fired up. Preaching at people is the only thing that really makes me angry.

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Right. I hear ya! There's nothing I hate more then someone telling you how to feel and what to believe.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Quote Originally Posted by alice
    but the brain can only fire what it's been fed previously – random or not.
    And?

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya
    Actually Freud's work in the development of psychoanalysis is still viewed as the basis of psychotherapy

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotherapy[/url]

Most psychotherapies are either direct descendants of psychoanalysis, or their founders started out in areas of psychoanalysis before developing their own theories. Therefore, when describing the history of psychotherapy, most traditionally start with Freud.

The psychology book that OV is holding must be one written by the Church of Scientology people.
    No one is doubting Freud's impact on the study pf psychology but if you think that dreams are some look into the future and have any more meaning then simply random events smahsed together by a half conscious mind then you are fooling yourself. In-fact then it is you who are reading some Church scientiology book. lol,

I am no scietologist but ADD is bull shit. Just because someone is hyper doesnt make them sick, are we going to start treating the calm now as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud
    I used to have a boss that religiously would walk around the office and shout P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude..so ok, but when you came in sick, It was all in your head and all you had to do was think you weren't sick and your symptoms would go away.....PLEASE!!!!!!!
    Wow, that is pretty stupid, I would have let her/him have it with my negative attitude and if she/he blew up at me I would yell "P.M.A!!" at her. lol
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 08-02-06 at 02:03 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    No one is doubting Freud's impact on the study pf psychology but if you think that dreams are some look into the future and have any more meaning then simply random events smahsed together by a half conscious mind then you are fooling yourself.
    Wow, when did I say that? If you have a look at my quote (What you quoted from me) I was pointing at Freud's work and dream analysis as basis for psychoanalysis and psycotherapy. Dream analysis are often used by practitioners of psychology to draw evaluation on what maybe affecting the conscious or subconscious state of their patients making it a very valid technique. Where did you get the idea that I think that dreams are some miracle, magic ways to tell the future???

You make many assumptions and underestimations of people I see
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Freud made a few interesting theories back in the day, but is considered to have said just about as many wacky things as he did sane. Does EVERYTHING have to do with your mom...?

Almost EVERYTHING in regards to the field of psychology is theory and ideals. Sure there are a lot of areas that are somewhat understood by science, but the vast majority is based on behavioral ideals that are theories and concepts, not something that can 100% of the time be based on factual evidence ALL of the time.

If this were the case, then we would understand every single behavioral issue and problems and mental cases that exist. However, we do not. And we never will. There are far too many complexities in the brain for us to understand it 100%.

The same is true for dreams. Everyone and their brother has a theory on what dreams are, but the hard fact is that NOBODY can tell you what they mean 100% of the time, or 50% of the time, or even 10% of the time. The burden of proof is on those who THINK they understand what every dream means.

Not on those of us who understand them for what they really are - random and incoherent. Jerry Springer might be able to look at child abuse and say that it is the reason you joined a Nazi cult, but that doesn't mean that every abused child will.

P.S. How are classes coming along Rosebud? Taking a few classes and then telling everyone that psychology is your "major" doesn't mean much. It takes anywhere from 8-12 years to become a fully licensed psychologist, sometimes more if you plan to become one and work as an independent. Like my dad is, for example.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you Cybog

But isn't it interesting to speculate none the less as to what those dreams may mean without hoping to be 100% or even 50% correct? Isn't it better to try to somehow piece them together (Maybe with some help from modern Psychoanalysis techniques) instead of repress or ignore them all together?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    And?

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybog

Not on those of us who understand them for what they really are - random and incoherent. Jerry Springer might be able to look at child abuse and say that it is the reason you joined a Nazi cult, but that doesn't mean that every abused child will.

P.S. How are classes coming along Rosebud? Taking a few classes and then telling everyone that psychology is your "major" doesn't mean much. It takes anywhere from 8-12 years to become a fully licensed psychologist, sometimes more if you plan to become one and work as an independent. Like my dad is, for example.
    Well considering I already have bachelors in Psychology is very important to me! The only thing I said is it my area of Expertise..in other words, I love talking about psychology, never said I wanted to be a psychologist, although I want to be a criminal psychologist! And I think I know how long everything takes, considering I'm pursuing it!

And I don't care to prove anythign to anyone..Your right Freud was a loony and yes he has all differnet views on things. But his theories and views are still being used today.

The mind is a very powerful tool, and your subcoonscious tells you things whether you believe it or not. WHy do you think you do things and don't understand why? Granted maybe it's because you don't know yourself well enough, but don't you think your mind is trying to show you that? And maybe there a re people out there who are more spiritual than others when it comes to seeing the future...But I still think dreams are a part of your subconscious and tell you things that are going on right now in the present that you may not realize consciously.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybog
    Freud made a few interesting theories back in the day, but is considered to have said just about as many wacky things as he did sane. Does EVERYTHING have to do with your mom...?.
    Of couse not! It is 50% about your mom and 50% about your penis (or lack thereof).

Freud was revolutionary, but not because his views were correct. He is credited for developing a theory of the human mind and human behavior, and his work respresented a break with previously unquestioned Western philosophy.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234