+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC - Which is better? / Anyone got Vista?

I just came back from an adobe presentation on the new features in CS3. Guess what they were running it from? A Macbook. Additionally, the guy emphasised that it was a standard macbook, not with lots of memory or anything. He did this to show that the CS3 apps ran well on the same setup that the professionals in the audience would be using.

Some of them even had their macbooks with them. I spoke to a few of them. None of them would go near windows or PCs with a 6 foot pole. I spoke to a java and c++ programmer, who showed me some of his photography in lighroom on is macbook. I asked him why he didn't use linux- he said he did.. but that the macbook saves time and therefore money.
    Odd, I said, 'I thought linux was a lot cheaper?', to which he said, well yeah, but in the end the macbook still works out cheaper for what he's doing with it. He said the "linux freaks" at work look down at him because he also has a mac, but in response he tells them 'yeah, i'm going home now, and so can you when you do finally finish at work..'

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I just came back from an adobe presentation on the new features in CS3. Guess what they were running it from? A Macbook. Additionally, the guy emphasised that it was a standard macbook, not with lots of memory or anything. He did this to show that the CS3 apps ran well on the same setup that the professionals in the audience would be using.

Some of them even had their macbooks with them. I spoke to a few of them. None of them would go near windows or PCs with a 6 foot pole. I spoke to a java and c++ programmer, who showed me some of his photography in lighroom on is macbook. I asked him why he didn't use linux- he said he did.. but that the macbook saves time and therefore money.
    Odd, I said, 'I thought linux was a lot cheaper?', to which he said, well yeah, but in the end the macbook still works out cheaper for what he's doing with it. He said the "linux freaks" at work look down at him because he also has a mac, but in response he tells them 'yeah, i'm going home now, and so can you when you do finally finish at work..'
    that's nice. yea, i'd probably use a mac if i only wanted to do that stuff.

i'm happy with linux. i have complete freedom to do whatever i want. in mac i don't have what i want.

oh and i programmed cs3 to work on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    that's nice. yea, i'd probably use a mac if i only wanted to do that stuff.
    this is all I was getting at. Chim seems to think that anybody who has a mac is an idiot, even though an entire industry largely uses macs. heck, us designers/photographers/desktop publishers must just be idiots in general.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    i'm happy with linux. i have complete freedom to do whatever i want. in mac i don't have what i want.

oh and i programmed cs3 to work on my computer.
    cool, so you have it already? the new align feature (edit menu I think) is pretty sweet, plus the smart object stack thingies like Mean and Median are useful when you have a bunch of photos of the same thing and want to get rid of the tourists on them. Plus you can now have 3d objects in PS, and actually manipulate them within PS. Smart filters were a long time coming, imo. but maybe you already knew all this

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    this is all I was getting at. Chim seems to think that anybody who has a mac is an idiot, even though an entire industry largely uses macs. heck, us designers/photographers/desktop publishers must just be idiots in general.

cool, so you have it already? the new align feature (edit menu I think) is pretty sweet, plus the smart object stack thingies like Mean and Median are useful when you have a bunch of photos of the same thing and want to get rid of the tourists on them. Plus you can now have 3d objects in PS, and actually manipulate them within PS. Smart filters were a long time coming, imo. but maybe you already knew all this
    really? i don't use much of the filters and stuff. i just paint my stuff in with the brush. that and eraser are my favorite tools. i'll admit, i did fool around a bit with the watercolor and paint filters, those are pretty cool, and the canvas overlay works great if you're a painter like me.

i really like the blending options too. i just recently discovered those. i only use those for text though because they really make some images muddy.

I don't like living in a box...
    You get people that like that sort of thing...
    I think that these people are idiots...
    Locking up their potential & minds...
    My opinion...

I don't like my potential to be limited to a typewriter, a MP3 player, a paint brush & email.

I use my PC for numerous tasks ( most at the same time ).Not just a few.
    As a strong note,no studio here ( in South Africa ) uses Mac's...Only the Colleges...I searched & searched,nothing...
    Perhaps it is just me...But if we could get cheap products to perform quality jobs,I think we would be using them!

P.S. I unfortunately don't use Linux Lilwing,I do allot of 3D studio Max,Maya,etc.What would you suggest as the best graphics card for 3D graphic processing with these programs? My Radeon card is doing a fine job,but if I can get something better,please tell me...
    Last edited by Chimeros0; 21-05-07 at 05:21 PM.
    Love...The anti-drug.

Get addicted now,because an overdose on love is perfectly legal!

lovely! I love living in a box. being confined? yeah, i'm just kinky that way. [/sarcasm]

this is different for different people. a mac may confine YOU, but it enabled my mom to design websites with iWeb. Believe me, this is something she'd never done otherwise. It freed her! again, personal preference. When will you get this concept?

Maybe these (video media?) studios aren't suited for macs. Or maybe it's 'cos Apple wasn't even in the market in South Africa for eight years! However, reportedly apple has 80% of the graphics industry market in South Africa:

(on apple in South Africa) "...it has maintained its traditional dominance of the local creative content industry with a market share of about 80% in the graphics design, desktop publishing and video-editing segments."
    link: [url]http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/02/24.4.shtml[/url]

now I dunno if that is true down to the last percent. But in general the graphics industry uses the mac platform.
    ------

also, if we're debating about what the "best" computer is, maybe we should also take into consideration that apple is considered a consistent innovator in the industry.
    Sure, maybe later someone would've come along and replaced the trackball with a trackpad. Or put a clock in the menu bar. But apple popularised and set many standards first.

the Lisa was ahead of its time in having features like a mouse and a GUI which had at that time only existed in research labs.

the macintosh made desktop publishing possible.
    actually I found an old Mac SE at my graphic design course, in the basement- it still works.
    or, say, the LaserWriter. Before this, you had to send your work to a typesetter or spend insane amounts of money to get it printed. It was the first consumer printer to include PostScript, which led to the widespread use of PS in the industry.

Before QuickTime, playing diigital video smoothly on a consumer machine was an amazing feat. it came almost a year ahead of MS's Video for Windows.

Final Cut Pro. I don't even need to explain that one. And no, I don't care if you use different software for editing.

The Power Mac G5 was the first 64-bit machine on the consumer market. Not to mention the QuickTake 100- the original digital camera!

Apple were the first to use a GUI on a large scale. They practically invented the double-click and drag-and-drop. The Mac was also the first personal computer to feature virtual memory. Also first to make floppy disk drive a standard. and a mic input. and CDROM. And ethernet...

"Beginning with the iMac in 1998, Apple made the Universal Serial Bus standard and introduced FireWire, ... now popular in media-editing computers and almost all digital video cameras. Apple also innovated in the area of networking, with heavy marketing and early implementation of the existing wireless networking standard IEEE 802.11b (AirPort) in the Macintosh portable lines in 1999"

Apple's PowerBook 100 and so forth heavily influenced the mobile computing industry. innovations such as moving the keyboard to leave a palm rest seem easy now, but it is no accident that Apple consistently made these innovations first. Try googling Apple + innovations, or something. You'll find tons. I once found this long list of CEO quote's on what they think makes Apple a "top innovator".

I also found a list of "windows innovations".. they were Microsoft BOB and.. this totally kills me.. the second and last one is The Talking Paper Clip
    yeah.

I'm getting a pink lap top soon, it's gonna have Vista on it.

That's all I have to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Converse View Post
    I'm getting a pink lap top soon, it's gonna have Vista on it.

That's all I have to contribute.
    Pink?? Unusual choice of colour... Didn't even know they made pink laptops.
    "Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
    -Rule of Acquisition 76.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveTwist View Post
    Pink?? Unusual choice of colour... Didn't even know they made pink laptops.
    They do make 'em they're quite popular now.

To go with my pink mobile phone and pink ipod lol.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimeros0 View Post
    I don't like living in a box...
    You get people that like that sort of thing...
    I think that these people are idiots...
    Locking up their potential & minds...
    My opinion...

I don't like my potential to be limited to a typewriter, a MP3 player, a paint brush & email.

I use my PC for numerous tasks ( most at the same time ).Not just a few.
    As a strong note,no studio here ( in South Africa ) uses Mac's...Only the Colleges...I searched & searched,nothing...
    Perhaps it is just me...But if we could get cheap products to perform quality jobs,I think we would be using them!

P.S. I unfortunately don't use Linux Lilwing,I do allot of 3D studio Max,Maya,etc.What would you suggest as the best graphics card for 3D graphic processing with these programs? My Radeon card is doing a fine job,but if I can get something better,please tell me...
    believe it or not, but windows is limited in more ways that macintosh is. if you need me to go into exclusive detail to understnad that, i will.

i have a 3d program called blender which is equal to 3ds max and operates with less power, which is more convenient for you because you can have more programs open at the same time.

as far as video cards, nvidia has better performance. go check out benchmarks between radeon and nvidia. you will find that nvidia has a card called the geforce 9550 gs which has top performance for 3d graphics. if you go SLI it's even better.

Thanks Lilwing,I'll look into it...

Tiay,I know that this may shock you,but...

I LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA & HAVE SCARCELY SEEN MAC'S USED,AT ALL!

Never mind the fact of not seeing them used in my industry...

No offense but what was the purpose of the history lesson?
    I have a Texas Instrument that uses 2Bit - 8bit cartridges ( it still works),I also have a 486 IBM Thunderbird PC ( that still works ).
    If I had to go into detail about the breakthroughs of either,It would sound like I am at least a century old & giving a history lesson for IT & technology...

Are you saying that because Apple came up with those ideas first, that they are "better"or are more "en ovating"?
    Because if that's the case,Ferrari cars have nothing on Ford cars,because Ford made the first Automobile Assembly Line...

Things get improved upon with time,often by other individuals & not the original creators.Take the wheel as a example if you don't believe me...

*Sigh*
    This could go on forever...
    Love...The anti-drug.

anachronistic Guest
    lol i like how i can install mac and windows apps on linux. you all try to do that on your computer

teabagging with ma' tarballs

How big ( Mb/Gig wise ) is the latest Linux version & where can I get it Lilwing?
    I have a capped internet,so I try to keep downloading to a minimal...
    We also have painfully slow internet due to a monopolised company called Telkom.
    They suck huge rhino dick!
    Love...The anti-drug.

anachronistic Guest
    there literally tens of thousands of versions (called distributions of linux) you can go as minimal as you want.

I recommend you try ubuntu ([url]http://www.ubuntu.org[/url]) because it has a very small amount of bugs. you need to know your processor type. oh shit, if you have a dvd burner and a dvd drive on the computer you want to install it to, go to ubuntustudio.org and download that. it comes with a bunch of free multimedia tools.

regular ubuntu system takes up about 1 gigabyte of memory.

what you'll have to do is download the cd ISO file and burn it to a disc, and then boot your computer from the disk. the file you'd be downloading is about 800 megabytes.

if you need help just pm me.

oh by the way, if you were intrigued about cross-platforming the programs, it takes a lot of time to learn how to do that, and can be very difficult.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 22-05-07 at 04:17 AM.

I think it's cool with computers how you teach yourself.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast