+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Muhammed the Teddy Bear

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    (I had a guy who wouldn't shake my hand b/c it was against his religion--and me clearly his 'superior' in social status, as far as the interaction went).
    Haha - this reminds me of the time my husband's grown Orthodox son was visibly uncomfortable because my daughter (his own half-sister!) was trying to hug him after seeing him for the first time a in several years. I let him squirm, though, because I know that he would consider it to be a bigger "sin" to embarrass or hurt her, so he had to tolerate it. Dumbass.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My mom treated a woman whose leg was horribly infected. She'd let it fester for who knows how long before finally coming to a hospital. As bad as it was, all the woman needed was a routine blood transfusion and she'd have pulled through without a hitch.

However, due to her religion she refused the transfusion, instead opting to die doped up on painkillers. She selfishly stripped her two young children of a mother for the sake of her beliefs.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Did you hear about the 14 year old boy who refused the blood he needed and died today? His aunt (and guardian) supported his decision. His mother did not.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, I hadn't heard that. It's a sad way to go.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    this thread is pointless. i'd wipe my ass with the teddybear if i was there.

LostNotFound Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Judaism predates Islam by thousands of years.
    yeh i know lol

i meant first christianity with jesus but it was meant to be 'islam' but the message was changed, so it came again as judaism but it was changed and then it came as islam as the final message. thats why theres so many similarities between them.

muslim men are supposed to marry muslim women but are allowed to marry christian or jewish women as it is a 'form' of islam

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

However, due to her religion she refused the transfusion, instead opting to die doped up on painkillers.
    Oh, so painkillers aren't against her religion? What a bunch of horseshit. I was just telling my daughter about people who do this on the way to school this morning. I was trying to clarify something she learned at Sunday school, which was "there's something good in every religion", which she mistakenly understood to mean "every religion is good".

And DM, you should probably know that many Evangelical Christians are preaching the holy war right this very minute. The Catholic Church doesn't back the conflicts in the Middle East, but lots of other Christian faiths do.
    Spammer Spanker

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    And DM, you should probably know that many Evangelical Christians are preaching the holy war right this very minute. The Catholic Church doesn't back the conflicts in the Middle East, but lots of other Christian faiths do.
    There can't be that many, because I know a lot of Christians and none support "holy war". Two crazy kids in my high school wanted to take the Middle East off the map, but they were both atheists. You would think they were insane Christians but no, they were atheists.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What is the point you are trying to make, DM? That Christianity is better than Muslim, or what? This isn't about religion, this is about assholes, regardless of faith (or lack of).

Because it is exactly that attitude (us vs. them) that perpetuates this whole problem. Right now, you're trying to defend a faith that is presently & historically violent, like it or not. Comparisons are irrelevant. Its akin to discussing which kind of shit smells the worst. Fact is, it all smells bad no matter what asshole it comes from.

Atheists who can't tolerate a person of faith are just another kind of asshole. But they are entitled to their lack of religion, just as you are entitled to having yours. They may think you're just as misguided as you think they are, but in the end, its whatever helps you to cope w/your existence & its not worth killing anyone over.

The ppl who made a big deal about the bear are assholes. In any faith. There are many, many muslims who think the entire incident is ridiculous. I hope this helps summarize the thread.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 04-12-07 at 05:52 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What is the point you are trying to make, DM? That Christianity is better than Muslim, or what? This isn't about religion, this is about assholes, regardless of faith (or lack of).

Because it is exactly that attitude (us vs. them) that perpetuates this whole problem. Right now, you're trying to defend a faith that is presently & historically violent, like it or not.
    Islam is far more violent than Christianity, it advocates violent tactics in the Quran for muslims whereas the Bible does not advocate violent tactics for Christians. If you fail to recognize this then there is no point in going further

I wouldn't call a person with a violent agenda an asshole, I know plenty of people who aren't violent but are complete assholes.

It actually is about religion. What I am saying is pretty much all there in the first paragraph.

As of now, this problem is being perpetuated by certain Arab countries and Islamic organizations. Within the last 20 years, or around as long as I've been alive, when have we provoked them into attacking us? How many times have we attacked them strictly because they were muslim with the goal being just to kill them or convert them?

Seriously, we draw their prophet mohammed in a cartoon and they chant "Death to the USA" in the streets and there are thousands of them, and they burn dummies (ephigees or whatever you call them) of Jesus. Where are people in this country saying anything about THAT? If it was my way, while those people were chanting "Death to the USA" we would napalm those ****wads.

They just hate us. But a lot of Europeans do too, but they can't use religion as an excuse

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    They just hate us. But a lot of Europeans do too, but they can't use religion as an excuse.
    Exactly. Which is why I said this isn't, fundamentally, about religion. You're making the same argument I am, DM.

Whoever was discussing Fundamentalist mindsets, generally, not any particular faith, is on the right track, I think.

Now, I think you are trying to argue that the muslim faith is teaching intolerance at least indirectly, which may be so. But what almost everyone is saying is that its not helpful to compare w/another religion, ie Christianity, and claim it is better. It isn't, for all the reasons & examples that have already been cited.

Actually, the only 'religion' that *hasn't* ever waged a holy war w/anyone else is (can you guess?): Atheism. And maybe Shintoism.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually, the only 'religion' that *hasn't* ever waged a holy war w/anyone else is (can you guess?): Atheism. And maybe Shintoism.
    Haha.. Just wait until atheists unite

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Haha.. Just wait until atheists unite
    Funny you mention this... I like to think that Pastafarians is just the beginning of this movement, lol.

Nah, most likely since we're all the scientists, etc, we'll just get off the planet & leave all the religious nutbars to blow each other up.

Now, go study for your exams & do well.

anachronistic Guest
    Buddhism.

They have raged war, but not 'holy' or 'religious' war.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Buddhism.

They have raged war, but not 'holy' or 'religious' war.
    Buddhism is just as bad as any other religion. 'Fighting Monks' ring any bells? They just make killing ppl seem Zen, is all.

And have you actually checked out how much freaking $$$ Western Buddhism is raking in these days? There was a good National Geographic article on this last year.

Now, I personally like a lot of buddhist philosophy. Even subscribe to a fair bit of it. But I still think the organized religion part can go to hell. That part is ALL about manipulating ppl, whatever they say otherwise. Awful lot of monasteries getting built recently....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast