+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: clinton and obama

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You folks REALLY need to look into restructuring your gov't so you aren't stuck w/an admin for 4 years. We can call an election anytime in Canada & kick out our PM. Minority gov't are difficult, but good in terms of avoiding rampant power abuses. Its good for times where there isn't a strong leadership candidate (we can have majority gov't in these cases). And it doesn't happen as often as you might think, so its not like we are having a federal election every year. Think about it anyway.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You folks REALLY need to look into restructuring your gov't so you aren't stuck w/an admin for 4 years. We can call an election anytime in Canada & kick out our PM. Minority gov't are difficult, but good in terms of avoiding rampant power abuses. Its good for times where there isn't a strong leadership candidate (we can have majority gov't in these cases). And it doesn't happen as often as you might think, so its not like we are having a federal election every year. Think about it anyway.
    yeah. that's on my list of things to do. along with ending starvation, poverty, and war.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We've ousted our governor before his term was up.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Obama spoke here tonight. I had tickets and everything. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see him because we ended up standing in line for hours in the dark and cold, waiting to get in, and my daughter was starting to freeze over. I couldn't put her through that- not even for the chance to meet Barack Obama. We went home about half an hour before we would have gotten into the place (about 45 minutes after the sun went down- temp. about 20 degrees). She could no longer feel her toes (she has since recovered).

I hope the opportunity will come again. I hope he wins. I hope no racist asshole shoots him immediately.
    Spammer Spanker

aw, that sucks..

I can't help thinking of the line of Star Trek captains. First white guys, then a black guy (Deep Space 9) and then a Woman (Voyager).
    Edit.. oh, and then there was another white guy. but he was hot so it's okay.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sorry, but I don't see anything spectacular about Obama. If he had similar policies as Ron Paul, who essentially wants to completely downsize the government. I'd be all for it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I like many of Ron Paul's views, but am concerned about the allegations that he is a racist and his age. I also hate his stance on gun control.
    Last edited by vashti; 02-02-08 at 10:05 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I also hate his stance on gun control.
    Do you think gun control has an impact on crime rates in the United States?

The best example of the impact gun control has had on crime rates is Washington, D.C. Our nation's capital has some of America's strictest gun control laws, and it consistently has one of the highest crime rates. It has been proven that tighter gun laws bring more crime. In contrast, those cities that most respect the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms have some of the lowest crime rates. Gun control laws only serve to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Criminals living in cities with tight gun control laws not only ignore restrictions, but also have an easier time committing violent crimes because they have no fear that they may face armed resistance.

Do you think tighter restrictions should be in place for those buying a firearm?

The federal government, bound to uphold the Second Amendment, should have no authority to place restrictions on those wishing to buy a firearm. Gun store owners should be allowed to place their own restrictions in their own stores.

(I don't have a problem with this.

I'm unfamiliar with the "racist allegations".)

What would be your top three overall priorities if elected?

My first priority would be to bring our troops home as soon as possible. I would further address our national security by strengthening our border security with Mexico and Canada, seeking to remove America from the entangling alliances the Founders warned us against entering, and returning to the constitutionally mandated principle that all wars must be declared. I would work with Congress to remove us from the United Nations, the WTO, the IMF, NAFTA, and CAFTA, while promoting true free trade with and travel to all nations. And I would once again focus on the search for bin Laden. My second priority would be to address the abuse of civil liberties here at home. I would seek the repeal of the PATRIOT Act, the Military Tribunals Act, and other legislation that gives the federal government powers to invade our private lives. My third priority would be to return the United States to a sound monetary policy by abolishing the Federal Reserve, balancing the budget, and requiring that the only currency manufactured by the federal government be that allowed by the Constitution: gold and silver-backed currency.
    Last edited by Junket; 03-02-08 at 12:40 AM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ the guy sounds worse than bush

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In resposnse to his pro-gun position that legally held firearms reduce crime, I have one word in rebuttal: Texas.

The allegations about the racism are well-documented.

I like some of his other goals, but honestly, I am very concerned about his age. The last time we had such an old guy in the White House, he started showing early signs of dementia while still in office. (Reagan was 69 at the time of ascension; Ron Paul would be 73 or more.) I also kind of think that the idea of using gold and silver instead of dollars is kind of funny, but I am not knowledgeable enough about economics to know why this would be a benefit.
    Last edited by vashti; 02-02-08 at 11:38 PM.

The allegations about the racism are well-documented.
    I know he was being accused of being a racist because he voted against giving Rosa Parks a medal. However, he has voted against giving anyone a medal, saying that Congress shouldn't use taxpayer's money to award such. He continued that if the House and Senate felt that she deserved one, he would pitch in money out of his own pocket along with his fellow Congressmen to buy her one, but he would not take money from the pockets of those he represented to do so.

I like some of his other goals, but honestly, I am very concerned about his age. The last time we had such an old guy in the White House, he started showing early signs of dementia while still in office. (Reagan was 69 at the time of ascension; Ron Paul would be 73 or more.)
    He is up there in terms of age, but I have no problem casting my vote with an old fellow who might show signs of dementia than with a younger candidate who already does.

I also kind of think that the idea of using gold and silver instead of dollars is kind of funny, but I am not knowledgeable enough about economics to know why this would be a benefit.
    The idea of gold and silver currency is that the metals actually hold value, while paper money does not. It used to be that the dollar was backed by gold reserves, but this is no longer the case.

Ron Paul's biggest challenge in this election is recognition. He has made slight press with his fund raising, but nowhere near the coverage of any of the other candidates. I have a feeling a lot of people will miss out simply don't know anything about him.

~Sphinx
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. ~Faithless, Reverence.

ron paul is too smart for the average american.

if he really wanted to be the president he would have it to dumb it down quite a bit.

you have to use catchy lines like, "i don't believe in raising taxes because, well shooot, you already pay too much!"

or, "they're gonna come over here and do something to us. do you want that? heckkkkkkkkkkk no!"
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I dont like either one. I dont like anyone running. Ive heard from more than one person here in Sarasota if Hillary wins their moving to another country. And at least 50% of FL wants Clinton.

Our country as good as it is it also sucks. What if NO ONE VOTED?
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think gun laws are too restrictive

It's easier and cheaper to buy an illegal firearm than a legal one

Like 2 weeks ago, a guy in Rochester was visited by his probation officer and inside his house they found a huge stockpile of weapons, including automatic weapons and RPGs.

Which makes it sad that just to buy a 6-shot revolver you need to be 21 and get a license while these other guys can go downtown and buy an automatic MAC-10 for the same price

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do you support allowing a portion of the money currently withheld for Social Security to be put into private accounts? Why or why not?

I want to ensure that money paid into the system is only used for Social Security. Currently, the Trust Fund offers nothing more than an IOU to those who have paid into it, as the government spends your Social Security dollars on unrelated programs that it cannot otherwise fund. I support any measures disallowing the federal government from eating into your funds so that we can keep the promises we made to our seniors.

What specific changes would you make to the Social Security program?

First, I would eliminate the government's power to tax your Social Security benefits-this is nothing short of robbery. Secondly, I would end the drain on Social Security caused by illegal aliens seeking the fruits of your labor, by disallowing government benefits for anyone who has not paid into the system. I would also address the desire of younger workers to save and invest on their own, by cutting payroll taxes and providing an opportunity to seek better returns in the private market.

-------------------------------------

I would rather pay less taxes so I would have more money to do with what I wished, rather than have more taxes and universal health care.
    Last edited by Junket; 03-02-08 at 01:00 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast