+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some suggestions for paper.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Although I completely relate to your disgust Cain, I saw those same behaviors (and much worse) from my alcoholic father, and yet alcohol is legal. An addict is an addict is an addict.
    Also, much worse? I didn't even mention the worse things such as when my life was threatened because my dad owed dealers money. They were constantly coming in and out of my house and a couple of the people that made those threats are in jail for murder now.

that's one of the big things that bother me about drug laws, is that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Also, much worse? I didn't even mention the worse things such as when my life was threatened because my dad owed dealers money. They were constantly coming in and out of my house and a couple of the people that made those threats are in jail for murder now.
    OK - I'll let you win. Your dad was worse. That wasn't really my point, though. Addicts of every kind are guilty of extraordinarily bad and unimaginable behavior. It isn't just the crackheads.
    Last edited by vashti; 23-07-08 at 09:49 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i think the effects would be the same if the availability were the same with alcohol and those hard drugs. if alcohol were available only through the black market you would see people killing each other and stealing to get it. the mob did it back in the prohibition days...

but alcoholics still kill people in their cars and general violence.
    Last edited by misombra; 23-07-08 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i think the effects would be the same if the availability were the same with alcohol and those hard drugs. if alcohol were available only through the black market you would see people killing each other and stealing to get it. the mob did it back in the prohibition days...
    The people that are stealing to get it just can't afford it. It's going to be the same whether it's legal or not.

OK - I'll let you win. Your dad was worse. That wasn't really my point, though.
    I wasn't trying to say my dad was worse. I was trying to say that hard drugs are worse than alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    The people that are stealing to get it just can't afford it. It's going to be the same whether it's legal or not.
    that's true. but the liquor store isn't going to give you mass amounts of alcohol to sell, then come kill you in front of your family if you don't deliver.

that's one of the big things that bother me about drug laws, is that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not.
    Especially since alcohol is considered a heavier and more addictive substance.

I think it comes down to money and culture. Too much money is tied up in alcohol sales in order for there to be any real political pressure on it + alcohol is tied up to most people's cultures making any legislation against it almost imposible. It's an ironic unfairness.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd be curious to know if buying alcohol was cheaper during prohibition. I am betting it wasn't. I am betting legalization drove down costs and reduced the crime rates.

Also, prohibition just drives up demand. That's the way it worked with alcohol, and that's the way it works now with illegal drugs.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I'd be curious to know if buying alcohol was cheaper during prohibition. I am betting it wasn't. I am betting legalization drove down costs and reduced the crime rates.

Also, prohibition just drives up demand. That's the way it worked with alcohol, and that's the way it works now with illegal drugs.
    Whatever. I have no respect for addicts of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Especially since alcohol is considered a heavier and more addictive substance.

I think it comes down to money and culture. Too much money is tied up in alcohol sales in order for there to be any real political pressure on it + alcohol is tied up to most people's cultures making any legislation against it almost imposible. It's an ironic unfairness.
    marijuana is tied up in the cultures of many as well. the browner cultures, that is.

i'm sure the prices did go down. probably the crime rate went down, but i think more than that the crimes just changed into other things. like now somebody will get all drunk then drive and kill an entire family on christmas. or get ****ed up on superbowl and beat their wife cause their team lost.

i'm sure the prices did go down. probably the crime rate went down, but i think more than that the crimes just changed into other things. like now somebody will get all drunk then drive and kill an entire family on christmas. or get ****ed up on superbowl and beat their wife cause their team lost.
    Whereas prohibition contributed to a big upsurge in violent organized crime, in 1933 with repeal of prohibiotn, organized crime lost nearly all of its black market alcohol profits in most states because they couldn't compete with legal markets.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

yeah okay fine. you've convinced me. all drugs should be legalized.

i think the law is a farce anyway.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Not just that. There's quality issues. Lots of ppl went blind from drinking bad 'moonshine'. Non ethanol alcohol.

If drugs were legal, then any quality differences could also be addressed on the up & up. Bad trips, that kind of thing would be less. And making at least some drugs available, I suppose what you'd call soft drugs, would presumably keep some ppl away from the harder stuff. Like how ppl don't drink moonshine as much given the ready availability of alcohol.

And then think of the designer drugs we could have. I'd try Bailey's Chocolate-flavoured pot, wouldn't you?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast