+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Illusion?

Which is also why science deals with theories. You follow a path, you refine it as you find out more, and every now and then you might be proven wrong, but either way your new findings will point in the new direction. Guess what our current findings say.

Maybe that purple hippo example would be more analogous to the religion theme if there were a time-old record of scripts throughout the different eras of mankind, which actually support the foundation of religion, in addition to religious documents, and artifacts as evidence, and etc.

Otherwise, Gribble, I would think you're on the reefer if you told me you had a purple hippo in your pants.

But you know what I personally think is silly? Some people actually think cows are sacred. "Mooooo, I am your almoooty god. Bow down and mooootor boat my utters!" Okay, yeah corny, but you get my point. I actually have a few hindu friends, though. But you know what? There is a little thing called respect and empathy. I am not going to insult them or argue with them because they won't grab a burger with me.

I personally don't believe in any of that stuff, but it really boils my blood when people get in religious arguments. This thread, just like every other damn religious one, is going to turn into a personal argument between members with opposing views. It's too bad that thread isn't flameproof.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do the thousand years old stories of primitive savages lend credit to anything?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What pisses me off about these threads are the Scientology adverts we get at the bottom of the page. Bunch of charlatans claiming to teach people 'who am I?' in the same glitzy font used to sell millions of copies of 'The Secret'. Google Ads are whores.

I mean, why didn't *I* think of this??

Oh, mbe its b/c once we are done toppling and jailing the financial crooks we'll go after the religious ones next? One can hope.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Primitive savages? That implies prehistoric existence, and frankly it doesn't make any sense.

Here's a point though: How do cave paintings that date back to times before the written age, which actually were the products of primitive savages amount to anything? Well, they give us information on the prehistoric man, but we can't really conclude that those animals, or other content in cave paintings were simultaneously in existence, or ever in existence... or even shed some light on the prehistoric truths that we really only have bones, fossils, and half life to account for.

Honestly though, and I really think this is objective, even if christianity, and religions like it have some pretty whacky beliefs (which is my opinion), the parables, the stories, legends, and myths are some of the greatest in the world, with insight on morals, and many things to be learned. Even after all these years. Besides, there are still quite a few neanderthals (metaphorically speaking) walking around, who lack the brain cells to comprehend the scripts, which were written almost a millennium ago. In addition to that, there are historical scholars who go to school even today to study bibles and other historical scripts and documents.

To say that these stories accredit to nothing, is to reduce human technological advancement in its capacity to merely nothing... to which extent, contradicts your opinion, in that the answer to the age old question - "What is the meaning of life?" is but only a millennium away.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 18-07-09 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    BS, if I told you that I had a tiny purple hippo living in my pocket would you believe me? Would you have any doubts? Could you state with certainty that I did not? Why is this god business any different?
    It's different because someone can investigate your pocket and come to a conclusion that there definitely no purple hippo living there. Though if you for example said that there is a purple hippo living on Uranus, well then how do you dispute that? You can just assume that it probably doesn't. But how about something a bit more realistic, like bacteria? There is a lack of evidence but is there some type of bacteria living on Uranus? Who knows. God is one of those who knows things.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't suppose any of you have actually READ the Critical Thinking link in my sig?

Gribble, you are exempt. You seem to already understand the material.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

yeah i'm reading it..for the last couple days..i'm slow i know hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I don't suppose any of you have actually READ the Critical Thinking link in my sig?

Gribble, you are exempt. You seem to already understand the material.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    It's different because someone can investigate your pocket and come to a conclusion that there definitely no purple hippo living there. Though if you for example said that there is a purple hippo living on Uranus, well then how do you dispute that? You can just assume that it probably doesn't. But how about something a bit more realistic, like bacteria? There is a lack of evidence but is there some type of bacteria living on Uranus? Who knows. God is one of those who knows things.
    But Mish, you can't see the purple Hippo. You can't touch it, either. It's there, though. I assure you. 'Sides, you can't prove it doesn't exist, therefore you must accept my beliefs, you must treat me with respect, and you must at least consider that what I say might be true.

If you tell me there's bacteria on Uranus (after I get done laughing) I'll wonder what gave you that idea. If you tell me you know it because you feel it in your heart or because I can't prove there isn't any I'll probably never talk to you again. If you have some kind of evidence to support your theory, however, I'll discuss it with you, and even if I think it very unlikely I will at least have some respect for your opinion and I'll keep my mind open to the possibility.
    Last edited by Gribble; 18-07-09 at 12:07 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Gribble i remember you yourself admitted that you were agnostic due to not being able to prove either way, but here you are saying it's a definite answer.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

No God, no afterlife. Get over it...insecurity's middle name is religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I will at least have some respect for your opinion and I'll keep my mind open to the possibility.
    Really??? So if a mentally insane person starts touting off their crazy beliefs you'd have to respect those too?

Thats basically what preachers amount to....crazy people with funding.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eco, for all intent and purpose I am an atheist. However, anything is possible. For that reason you may call me an agnostic. Though I Know it's possible gods really exist (in the same way I know it's possible unicorns, Smurfs, and little purple-pocket-hippos exist), I live my life as though they do not. That is Until someone can show me something that indicates otherwise. In other words, you show me the tiniest bit of evidence and I'll change my whole tune. Until then, I know beyond a reasonable doubt that there are no gods. Call me whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SignsAndStars View Post
    Really??? So if a mentally insane person starts touting off their crazy beliefs you'd have to respect those too?

Thats basically what preachers amount to....crazy people with funding.
    Good job not reading anything I wrote, genius.
    Last edited by Gribble; 18-07-09 at 01:53 PM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

I would refer you to Baron D'Holbach...noones individual beliefs can go unquestioned or unscrutinized because they affect said individual's actions, which in turn affect those around them.

BTW, I would have read your posts, but I can't understand things written in crayon and applesauce.

BUT! Im sorry we got started off on such a poor foot lol! I probably shouldnt just skim next time haha.

hahaha, who the hell does this chump think he is?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast