+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: From the BBC : Seven die in California university shooting

Quote Originally Posted by sadie_genie View Post
    I don't think the problem is so much about the strength of the police force. Increasing the power of the police force never decreases the number of crimes. I'm a Canadian and I am always shocked when I hear about the level of security they have in the U.S (even Wendy's fast food restaurant has security guards) yet America still have a much higher crime rate relative to ours.

I think it boils down to values. If people will stop glorifying violence, they wouldn't have this problem.
    That's a bit extreme! I have never walked into a restaurant where there was a guard. When an establishment (like groceries and banks) issue security, it's always to deter thefts and robberies. Of course, no amount of security will stop a determined criminal, especially if they have obtained a weapon illegally to commit that crime. America is not the crazy, violence-driven society that people are claiming it is. Did you know that Michael Moore portrays Canada as some sort of violence-free zone where nobody locks their doors, ever, like it's one big town in the middle of nowhere?

I saw some pretty disturbing violence up in Canada when I was up there. There were a lot of bar brawls, and I witnessed 3-4 auto thefts in broad daylight during one weekend (breaking window to steal radio and pocket change). It was hard for me to get to sleep at night, too, because cops would turn on their sirens every two minutes to pulled someone over.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    We're not the pansies you all are in Canada?
    I'll agree with you that, since all else is equal per the examples you gave, that the difference must be cultural.

So, similar infrastructure, economy, lifestyle... but pansies. Yet safer, less crime. This is why I moved back to Canada. And to Haxan: I lived in the US for several years and am Canadian, now back at home. So I feel qualified to make the comparison.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I'll agree with you that, since all else is equal per the examples you gave, that the difference must be cultural.

So, similar infrastructure, economy, lifestyle... but pansies. Yet safer, less crime. This is why I moved back to Canada. And to Haxan: I lived in the US for several years and am Canadian, now back at home. So I feel qualified to make the comparison.
    Geez, I'm sorry... I really meant that to be a joke. It's late now and I'm not in the mood to go into it all, but more tomorrow if you're interested.

And to Haxan: I lived in the US for several years and am Canadian, now back at home. So I feel qualified to make the comparison.
    Not sure what comparison you mean. I never referred to any difference or comparison between US and Canada, just what's going on in the US, along with some generic stay safe tips.

Other than a cute, but kind of zany French Canadian girl I knew from Montreal once upon a time, my knowledge of the great white north could fill a thimble the size of an atom
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Canadian cities ARE safer because there are WAY fewer blacks and hispanics. It's too bad it's racist to say this but it's the truth

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfg789 View Post
    Question to HIA and DM : have you ever lived for an extended period of time (> 6 months) in a gun free city outside of the US ?
    I've been to gun-free Mexico and gun-totting Switzerland. Guess who has the crime problem? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I've been to gun-free Mexico and gun-totting Switzerland. Guess who has the crime problem? ;P
    It is obvious Mexico has a serious law enforcement issue due to the drug war. why bring yourself down to that level for comparison ?
    I will be happy to see US adopt Switzerland-style gun laws (according to Wiki) - for military/ex-military (not anyone can go into a shop to buy) and no ammo except for small group. Would YOU accept that ?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by haxan View Post
    Not sure what comparison you mean. I never referred to any difference or comparison between US and Canada, just what's going on in the US, along with some generic stay safe tips.

Other than a cute, but kind of zany French Canadian girl I knew from Montreal once upon a time, my knowledge of the great white north could fill a thimble the size of an atom
    I think it was asdfg789 who asked, and not even me explicitly. My bad. Anyway, not all of Canada is white. Here its green and mossy most of the year.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Canadian cities ARE safer because there are WAY fewer blacks and hispanics. It's too bad it's racist to say this but it's the truth
    Hmmm. Well we have certainly seen a lot more crime and gang activity in Vancouver since the Hong Kong reversion.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

The racial aspect is irrelevant. The majority of violence is a byproduct of poverty. We're talking about crimes of necessity and circumstance; indeterminable from statistics. Eliminate poverty and raise educational standards. Promote multicultural (not pro-segregation) values and (again) post-conventional moral reasoning. And to connect the argument further, we're forgetting that the original topic is, after all, about a recent school shooting....

I personally think it's nonsense to own a gun, and that's why I don't have one. There are some sensible people, like you, who want to own firearms for a good reason, and I respect that. But there is a great deal of people who don't think that way, and that's really what needs to change. Not legislation. Canada has an economic advantage over the USA. There are several contributing factors, not just strict gun control. And as my post resonates, there is a different mentality there, about trust, about the nature of humanity, about security, etc.

(sigh) I wish people thought in questions instead of statements.
    Last edited by thiudiskr; 17-04-12 at 03:53 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It is obvious Mexico has a serious law enforcement issue due to the drug war. why bring yourself down to that level for comparison ?
    So I don't show you a country with tough gun control laws and gun crime, and you are right- tough gun laws stop crime.

I do show you a country with tough gun control laws and gun crime, and I am "bringing the US down to that level for comparison."

Can't win, huh?

I will be happy to see US adopt Switzerland-style gun laws (according to Wiki) - for military/ex-military (not anyone can go into a shop to buy) and no ammo except for small group.
    Pretty much everyone has a gun since the majority of Swiss males are in the militia and every able bodied male is conscripted, and they are required to have an assault rifle. Obviously gun access is not very discriminating in Switzerland

Would YOU accept that ?
    Pretending this is completely hypothetical and that the Constitution does not exist, no, I would not accept that. If you lived on the periphery of an ever-expanding urban wasteland you wouldn't either

So I don't show you a country with tough gun control laws and gun crime, and you are right- tough gun laws stop crime.
    I do show you a country with tough gun control laws and gun crime, and I am "bringing the US down to that level for comparison."
    Can't win, huh?

Pretty much everyone has a gun since the majority of Swiss males are in the militia and every able bodied male is conscripted, and they are required to have an assault rifle. Obviously gun access is not very discriminating in Switzerland

Pretending this is completely hypothetical and that the Constitution does not exist, no, I would not accept that. If you lived on the periphery of an ever-expanding urban wasteland you wouldn't either
    Well, unless you are saying that legalizing guns in Mexico WILL solve their drug war problem, I really dont see why you want to keep bringing them up for comparison. Apples to oranges really.

For Switzerland, I think it makes a LOT of difference when a weapon is ISSUED to you as an instrument of duty to the country versus someone walking into a store and buying something they fancy. And did you notice that they are NOT allowed to keep ammunition except for select few ?

You didn't directly answer my question about having stayed in a gun free country (and I dont think Mexico qualifies for obvious reasons), but I do think it is just something that you will get used to.

For me, I've been to the US plenty of times. I just stayed away from places with gangs and drugs and never felt the need to carry a gun myself.
    (:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234