+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Word "Ghetto"- What Does it Mean to You?

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    How do you define the difference?
    One describes the color of a person's skin and the other defines ignorance. Kind of like the difference between a white person and a cracker.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by Henry123 View Post
    I see it as more of a class distinction.
    So do you definitely associate the "ghetto class" with a particular socioeconomic level? It used to be the poorest of the poor, the people who lived by the slag-heaps outside the foundries.

Being really poor doesn't necessarily mean you're ghetto, though, just like it doesn't necessarily mean you're a hillbilly or a redneck.

It's still bothering me that his guy was so incensed. Who does he think he is, the Great Equalizer? Make a comment about country-clubbers, though, and he doesn't say a word. It's not about being "classist". It's about his white guilt.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    It's about his white guilt.
    White guilt? Is that where you apologize to everyone for glowing in the dark, easily burning in the sun, or being able to blend in with the snow?

I have a really good way of dealing with 'white guilt'...

I wasn't born then...
    I didn't do it...
    you're racist for assuming I'm racist...

and my personal favorite...

do I look like I care?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

You and me both, Aera, but I live in a place that's just crawling with the annoying politically correct, and apparently, they feel that it's politically correct to see ghetto culture as synonymous with being poor and black and therefore untouchable.

I wonder what he thinks of hippies.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    You and me both, Aera, but I live in a place that's just crawling with the annoying politically correct, and apparently, they feel that it's politically correct to see ghetto culture as synonymous with being poor and black and therefore untouchable.

I wonder what he thinks of hippies.
    Try living in New Orleans.

All these black religious leaders talk about how they're being kept down by the white folk.

Kept down?

In the "chocolate city"?

Jesus, we have a black mayor, and one of the few blacks in congress managed to hide thousands of dollars in his freezer and was booted out this past year for a vietnamese republican, who still barely won.

Blacks have become way overrated.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I find it ironic that the very people who made 'nigger' an epithet are the ones who complain about it most.

I thought Barack Obama's comment way back about Special Olympics was cute. He should have told everyone to relax already or he wouldn't sign their next organizational cheque, instead of that light-speed apology.

Here Fras, doll, this is for you. PC-lovers can go suck eggs, you make our world way more complicated than it need be & take away from REAL issues:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67JhKT5bxU"]YouTube - Monty Python:Never Be Rude To an Arab[/ame]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

How does one... "dress" ghetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Try living in New Orleans.

All these black religious leaders talk about how they're being kept down by the white folk.

Kept down?

In the "chocolate city"?

Jesus, we have a black mayor, and one of the few blacks in congress managed to hide thousands of dollars in his freezer and was booted out this past year for a vietnamese republican, who still barely won.

Blacks have become way overrated.
    new orleans is one of the most unequal areas in the US. the reason black folk believe that they are 'kept down' is because it's partly a mentality that affects their abilities. but also if they come from a poor background which majority do it will be more difficult for them to do better. i'm reading an interesting book about this and there have been studies done where people were asked to do something and compete against each other and then the testers asked them do the test again but before they did it to call out their name, age, race and gender. the black and female among the group did worse the second time around which indicated that having annouced this info to the group somehow affected their psyc and insecurity to do as well and therefore sterotypes etc keep people 'down' by their own doing.

this is also played up by the media in history and race related films. black folk and women in general also create that insecurity among themselves as groups too. it's a real issue that affects millions of people unbeknownst to themselves.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 03-07-09 at 07:48 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    How does one... "dress" ghetto?

You find such attire at Wal-Mart Specials, Dumpster Dives, Roadside Services, and Hand Me Down traditions.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I find it ironic that the very people who made 'nigger' an epithet are the ones who complain about it most.

I thought Barack Obama's comment way back about Special Olympics was cute. He should have told everyone to relax already or he wouldn't sign their next organizational cheque, instead of that light-speed apology.

Here Fras, doll, this is for you. PC-lovers can go suck eggs, you make our world way more complicated than it need be & take away from REAL issues:
    Haha... Kraut made it.

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Down here dressing "ghetto" depends.

There's those that walk outside in their sweat pants and dirty white t-shirt, with hair out in every direction.

There's those that attempt to dress "fancy", with sparkling/shiny clothing and cheap jewelry and knee high boots.

And then there's the common "thug" pants around the knees, extra baggy t-shirt and cocked baseball hat.

Seems to me your definition of dressing ghetto is... based off how people in the ghetto dress. Obviously with low income they can't afford but so much.

actually people can still have a classy style and not pay that much for it.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Seems to me your definition of dressing ghetto is... based off how people in the ghetto dress. Obviously with low income they can't afford but so much.
    Nooo no no no no honey thats incorrect.

I dont make alot of money at ALL and I still dress nicely and pair things up appropriately. I stays on the 5 dollar rack ok LOL. There are alot of good looking clothes that you wouldnt know was cheap unless you were told the price.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hahaha.

Right.

That's why.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast