+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: clinton and obama

The concept of pulling out of the United Nations is one of my biggest problems with Ron "**** 'Em" Paul.

We're to disentangle ourselves from other nations, huh? How, exactly, does he plan to pull that off with our enormous national debt, which is owned by countries all over the world?

I like his vision of a strong America, but it's actually a hallucination, and I can't take that guy seriously. Somebody is going to have to have a go at digging us out of this great hole that Bush has dug us into, and I don't see Ron Paul with a shovel.
    Spammer Spanker

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haha the United Nations...

Doesn't Libya have a position in their human rights committee?

The UN should be fixed, not scrapped.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    The concept of pulling out of the United Nations is one of my biggest problems with Ron "**** 'Em" Paul.

We're to disentangle ourselves from other nations, huh? How, exactly, does he plan to pull that off with our enormous national debt, which is owned by countries all over the world?

I like his vision of a strong America, but it's actually a hallucination, and I can't take that guy seriously. Somebody is going to have to have a go at digging us out of this great hole that Bush has dug us into, and I don't see Ron Paul with a shovel.
    Personally, I'm all for the "**** 'em" strategy.

I understand we're tangled in a mess, but I don't know whether somebody like him will come along next election. I'd rather vote for him now than settle for voting for Obama, Hilary, or McCain.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSphinx View Post
    I know he was being accused of being a racist because he voted against giving Rosa Parks a medal. However, he has voted against giving anyone a medal, saying that Congress shouldn't use taxpayer's money to award such. He continued that if the House and Senate felt that she deserved one, he would pitch in money out of his own pocket along with his fellow Congressmen to buy her one, but he would not take money from the pockets of those he represented to do so.
    Actually, I hadn't heard about that. I was referring to this: [url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/[/url]

He is up there in terms of age, but I have no problem casting my vote with an old fellow who might show signs of dementia than with a younger candidate who already does.
    Which younger candidate are you referring to?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    I think Hilary's idea of yanking all the troops the **** out is a very bad idea. I don't support the war, but in order to get out of it, you have to have a STRATEGY.

Obama has a pretty good strategy about it. I wish I knew more about the Republican candidates. I haven't seen a republican debate yet, or anything. I know the names, that's all.

Our debt exists outside of the U.N. Leaving the organization does not mean we cannot settle our debts.

This is what I love about Paul, being that I don't expect any one person to dig us out of our hole. He will give the shovel back to the people and allow the citizens with the will to build, to do so in a less government obstructed environment. This is how America became strong in the first place, in my opinion, and I would like to see it turn again in that direction.

Actually, I hadn't heard about that. I was referring to this: [url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...l.newsletters/[/url]
    "None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas."

And also: 'In his interview with CNN, Paul said that's language he would never use. "People who know me, nobody is going to believe this," he said. "That's just not my language. It's not my life."'

After listening to Paul speak for some time, the structure, tone and language used in the newsletters don't follow his fashion of speech at all. This doesn't make it beyond a reasonable doubt for me.

Which younger candidate are you referring to?
    Most of them, though in terms of their stances of what duties and powers the executive branch should have and their policies, which are all a matter of taste and opinion, anymore.

~Sphinx
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. ~Faithless, Reverence.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    "None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas."

And also: 'In his interview with CNN, Paul said that's language he would never use. "People who know me, nobody is going to believe this," he said. "That's just not my language. It's not my life."'

After listening to Paul speak for some time, the structure, tone and language used in the newsletters don't follow his fashion of speech at all. This doesn't make it beyond a reasonable doubt for me.

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

Most of them, though in terms of their stances of what duties and powers the executive branch should have and their policies, which are all a matter of taste and opinion, anymore.

~Sphinx
    ??

What's this got to do with dementia?
    Last edited by vashti; 03-02-08 at 05:47 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well i guess that i gotta get my two cents in here... honestly i hate the news, i hate politics.. and all other media shit.

with that in mind, i don't really care who wins, i will still end up paying taxes. i just think that whoever it is, if they make it until the end, our country will be very different with a female or an african american president.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"
    Here's from [URL="http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=e2f15397-a3c7-4720-ac15-4532a7da84ca"]http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=e2f15397-a3c7-4720-ac15-4532a7da84ca[/URL]

"During some periods, the newsletters were published by the Foundation for Rational Economics and Education, a nonprofit Paul founded in 1976; at other times, they were published by Ron Paul & Associates, a now-defunct entity in which Paul owned a minority stake..."

"...Of course, with few bylines, it is difficult to know whether any particular article was written by Paul himself. Some of the earlier newsletters are signed by him, though the vast majority of the editions I saw contain no bylines at all. Complicating matters, many of the unbylined newsletters were written in the first person, implying that Paul was the author."

Regardless of whether he wrote these newsletters or not, it was irresponsible of him to not check up on an item that bore his name.

However, I believe that he does not stand for nor agree with the issues raised in the newsletters.

And as a voter, that's what matters to me.

??

What's this got to do with dementia?
    In the sense of madness, rather than the decay of brain function due to disease or age.

~Sphinx

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Less taxes.

Less bureaucracies.

Less government interference.

Less bullshit.

kill hillary

kill hillary

kill hillary

kill hillary
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    kill hillary

kill hillary

kill hillary

kill hillary
    If only it were that simple.

I have a feeling that even if you killed her four times, this headstrong woman would still come back for a fifth round in a most annoying fashion.

~Sphinx

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Well, *of course* Giga, its well known that separating oneself from a problem is the surest path to solution. I mean, it nearly worked in WWII, right?

Pulling out of the UN would almost be as good as getting kicked out (something I think the US deserved for Iraq--sorry, I know not everyone agreed but its still ultimately what the Bush admin deserves, or at least a removal of the veto status).

However, my I don't think my Cantonese/Mandorin is quite up to more than 'want noodles or rice w/your beef', at present.

Fras & Sphinx, the Economist had a *really* interesting article a couple months back about all the likely US prez candidates, their popularity & their press coverage %ages. Fascinating stuff.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The UN should be fixed, not scrapped.
    +1. But it IS totally too dependent on the US (thereby allowing an unbalanced share of US input). Right now, its largely an extension of US authority & whether you think that is "fair" (b/c the US supplies a lot of its troops) isn't the point. That's not what the UN is supposed to be, ideally.

I never liked the whole idea of the permanent security counsel, but understand it was a necessary concession at the time.

I've been reading a lot of this in Gwynne Dyers recent books (Future: tense, etc) and books from our library on UN reform. Interesting, complicated stuff.

Here's a wiki link Giga:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_of_the_United_Nations[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast