+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Shooting Leaves 28 Dead, Including 20 Pupils

The uk is a prime example of government control gone to far. You need a licence to watch tv, it is one of the most (if not the most) cctv'd country in the world. You can not carry ANYTHING in prepared self defence, you have to be ridiculously careful of what you say should you defend yourself if someone breaks into your home.

Americans remember, as soon as you give away any right, chances are you will never get it back.
    Banning hand guns in the uk has done nothing to change the death rate from hand guns, it simply meant the thousands of responsible, law abiding citizens had to hand them over whilst the criminals kept hold of theirs and continue to kill with them.

What's needed is an intelligent, well thought out method for allowing people to buy, own and carry guns. NOT a knee jerk highly emotive reaction to a terrible tragedy.
    "Never make someone your priority, when to them you are only an option"

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hotaru - I live in a country where these kinds of events are far less common and our gun laws more strict. But this argument doesn't help those children.

I know that area and those communities have some influence. I hope some stronger gun laws emerge from this tragedy.

I feel for those families so close to Christmas. I'd be devastated if that was my child. Hugs your kids, everyone.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by steviej View Post
    The uk is a prime example of government control gone to far. You need a licence to watch tv, it is one of the most (if not the most) cctv'd country in the world. You can not carry ANYTHING in prepared self defence, you have to be ridiculously careful of what you say should you defend yourself if someone breaks into your home.

Americans remember, as soon as you give away any right, chances are you will never get it back.
    Banning hand guns in the uk has done nothing to change the death rate from hand guns, it simply meant the thousands of responsible, law abiding citizens had to hand them over whilst the criminals kept hold of theirs and continue to kill with them.

What's needed is an intelligent, well thought out method for allowing people to buy, own and carry guns. NOT a knee jerk highly emotive reaction to a terrible tragedy.
    As the wife of a serving police officer I am VERY pleased that it is illegal here to carry anything in 'self defence' otherwise, every time that he stopped or arrested someone he would have a much higher chance of being hurt with a weapon.

Some of our laws are crazy, but most of them I agree with, in a country where most firearms are illegal, in 99.9% of situations you should not need a weapon or need at all, to use lethal force to defend yourself and certainly not your home.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

its so sad. and why would u do that to kids........ dammmmmm..

America need to realize that his way of dealing with guns is wrong. start with that!
    cause its legal people have less time to think that they should get help instead of doing such a horrible thing.
    cause the guns are just right next to them at home.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertz View Post
    As the wife of a serving police officer I am VERY pleased that it is illegal here to carry anything in 'self defence' otherwise, every time that he stopped or arrested someone he would have a much higher chance of being hurt with a weapon.

Some of our laws are crazy, but most of them I agree with, in a country where most firearms are illegal, in 99.9% of situations you should not need a weapon or need at all, to use lethal force to defend yourself and certainly not your home.
    What makes you think that? Scum already carry weapons, it's the law abiding who are unable to!
    What people don't seem to grasp is that controls, laws, restrictions only work on people who are willing to follow them.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What makes you think that? Scum already carry weapons, it's the law abiding who are unable to!
    Your point (which I think is that everyone should carry firearms) would make sense in a society without law enforcement.

But the advantage to the gun laws in Canada and UK is that it makes the Scum easy to identify by law enforcement, doesn't it?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I dislike the European superiority complex. After all, they glorify David Hassellhoff.
    You mean the greatest method actor of all time?

Every Child Slain in Newtown School Massacre Shot More Than Once
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-14/connecticut-shooting-leaves-27-dead-including-pupils-ap.html

This is SICK!!!!!
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

I've never heard of a mass shooting involving a young kid massacring children students: I've usually only seen bullied kids go on rampages to enact retribution on pupils who abused him. Very peculiar..

What people don't seem to grasp is that controls, laws, restrictions only work on people who are willing to follow them.
    How do you explain the significantly lower numbers of deaths from firearms in countries which have strict gun restrictions?

They just use other methods to kill/maim. Look at the UK knife stats.

Police are a reactive force for the most part, they aren't there for personal protection - as an adult we should have our own responsibility to protect ourselves.

The problem is scum of society which exist for a number of reasons and are not being dealt with properly, guns are just tools misused by these criminals. Why punish everyones freedom for the crime of one?

Guns are almost never used for protection; the cases where they are in terms of ratio to cases where they're used to assault is infinitesimal.

And who is carrying out the assaults? Criminals. The same criminals that will still keep their weapons and still keep using them even if you ban guns.

Assault with a gun is illegal isn't it, yet why didn't it stop the assault happening? Shock horror!! Only law abiding people abide by the law.

Not everyone who commits murder has guns illegally; most of it is legally purchased.

Nobody anywhere needs a ****ing rifle but an army; ****ing stupid that anyone can buy enough to mow down a school. Insanely stupid.

Sadly your ignorance on firearms is high.

Target shooting, hunting, plinking, pest control etc, all good reasons to own a rifle. Why shouldn't you own a rifle would be a better question!

Mental instability/illness, criminal connections, criminal record etc are good reasons not to be granted a permit/licence.

What would have stopped that guy going in there with a machete? His kill count could have been just as high, 6yr olds are hardly going to put up much of a fight!
    Lessons can be learnt, but ignorant knee jerk reactions are not needed.

Most murders are committed with legally held weapons? Really? You have official statistics for that or is this just wild opinion.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast