+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: culture

I don't know, but the list you are looking at was from last year, and Australia moved up a LOT in a single year. I'd like to see the 2008 list for all countries.

Anyway obesity is associated with poverty.
    Last edited by shh!; 02-10-08 at 08:52 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How could a country move up or down so much in a single year, Vash?

Something seems weird about those statistics if there is that much variation b/c one year to the next. 2008#s aren't available yet. The year isn't over. 2007 stats is the best you can do right now.

Anyway, I got that list by directly linking to the data from the link you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    How could a country move up or down so much in a single year, Vash?

Something seems weird about those statistics if there is that much variation b/c one year to the next. 2008#s aren't available yet. The year isn't over. 2007 stats is the best you can do right now.

Anyway, I got that list by directly linking to the data from the link you posted.
    I don't know why it varied so much in a year. That's why I wanted to see the source for the story on Australia. Anyway, to venture a guess - if poverty is rising, so will the obesity rates.

Here's another study on the world's healthiest countries. Australia beats us on this list.

[url]http://www.fitsugar.com/1535111[/url]
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mbe the Lemondade Diet in US is working better than we realize.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's interesting to see that Spain is beneath the US. I always thought they were quite a bit healthier. The diet's certainly better.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I think the obesity rates are leveling off (not dropping) in the US - they are rising in Australia, apparently.

Interestingly, I recently read that American men are getting fatter, but women are getting thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    It's interesting to see that Spain is beneath the US. I always thought they were quite a bit healthier. The diet's certainly better.
    Do they smoke more than us? When I went to Europe I always noticed that the people smoke like chimneys, especially in France.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That could be it. I'm so used to my chain-smoking parents it probably didn't register in my mind while I was in Majorca.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    That's not a type of culture I like. I like cultures where you don't earn any rights to mock, you just do it when you feel like it and are happy when others mock yours, I'm happy with two way mocking. I like non-anal cultures that don't look up at themselves too highly.
    So...you favor Australian culture.

I'm floored.

I never saw that coming.

i'm always trying to get my bf to go visit you guys in nola.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Okay, so I typed out a whole explanation, trying to define American 'culture' and how it's not really a culture... and the whole idea of democracy, which America was built upon, allowing the diversity of culture to exist under one nation... blah blah blah and then I explained how America is not the only democratic country at this day in age, and so what if America was the first nation with this idea... but why the **** should I waste my time corresponding with people that just want to flirt and have casual talk, as if it were horrendous to have an intelligent conversation?

God damnit. I hate it when people are such pacifists that they won't even debate. Why would you even waste your time on here for that? Your personal affairs aren't fulfilling enough or something?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We have tried again and again to debate with you.

You call us morons or idiots. You tell us we've insulted your intelligence.

You leave in a fit.

The whiny, sniveling attitude of yours which is so prevalent in everything you write (and even suffuses the above post) prevents anyone from engaging in any real discussion with you. Grow up.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i'm always trying to get my bf to go visit you guys in nola.
    We found our goals list the other day that we created months ago, and we had "camp in white sands New Mexico" on there!

So who's visiting who first?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    We have tried again and again to debate with you.

You call us morons or idiots. You tell us we've insulted your intelligence.

You leave in a fit.

The whiny, sniveling attitude of yours which is so prevalent in everything you write (and even suffuses the above post) prevents anyone from engaging in any real discussion with you. Grow up.
    What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

My last post refers to this:

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Yeah I'm kind of tired of arguing about this stuff. Can we go back to flirting with the boys and talking about food?
    I mean, was somebody offended or something? As I recall, I was not arguing, but making my point, in that more perspectives = better understanding. I was not accusing her of anything.

And Gribble, I am sure you get sick of the jokes about the monkey in the oval office, and the jokes about fat rednecks who regular at Mcdonalds... but they are just as annoying as this "America is superior to all other nations" crap that Doesntmatter has been posting, which is parroted just as often as every anti-American iteration.

It really goes to show how fruitless these arguments are. How stupid is it to have this conversation with people who hold such indoctrinated opinions? That is my point. That is why I posted fat Mcdonalds whores. This thread was destined for failure.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast