+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: movie recommendations

Maybe that's the point. It seems to leave most of America feeling numb.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm sure that WAS the point, but I don't like it. I felt the same way when watching Schindler's list... numb.

I suppose that is the very characteristic that allows people to engage in war. I'd make an awful soldier for that reason.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Not really. It must be the girl in me, but I like to feel like I really care about a movie character, but the way this movie was made wasn't really conducive to that. I mean, watching people die shouldn't leave you feeling numb, I don't think.
    I actually loved the way Kathryn Bigelow handled emotionality in The Hurt Locker. I think most films have a high tendency to exagerrate, over-dramatize, and over-act every seemingly emotional scene, the to the point where these scenes become transparently emotional ploys and and cheese out the authenticity of the moment.

The Hurt Locker never spent too much time on any one moment and gave a much better picture, that of men going through a war, with all these incredible scenes all around them, and no time to reflect on it. Its much more truthful, and speaks much more directly about what war really is, its not a brilliant score performed by the Boston Philharmonic, its not a "Don't you die on me yet!" hero tale, and its not slow-motion hero moments. Its just war.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MVPlaya View Post
    Its much more truthful, and speaks much more directly about what war really is, its not a brilliant score performed by the Boston Philharmonic, its not a "Don't you die on me yet!" hero tale, and its not slow-motion hero moments. Its just war.
    Yep, but I don't like it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Vashti, did you watch the Boy in the Striped Pajamas? I watched it sunday morning and it brought me to tears. amazing acting by everyone in it. i remember going on a tour to one of those "camps" in Israel and it was terrifying just knowing how many jews died in there.

did you see Life is Beautiful? it reminded me of it.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I finally saw Alice in Wonderland and was underwhlemed. I'm pretty tired of Burton's patented quirkiness. It feels forced.
    Spammer Spanker

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    awwww Giga, I saw it last night and LOVED it. Burton has signature scenes which you can love or hate. I chose to love it.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Talk about a disturbing war movie you guys should see To End All Wars...its about American soldiers in a Japanese prison camp during WWII and there are very brutal scenes...it really wasn't a very publicized movie but it has Kiefer Sutherland in it....its worth a watch, its an excellent movie but it will really piss you off at times....I used the movie as a reference when I was writing a paper over obedience to authority and how freewill can be broken.

On a lighter note...I saw the movie The Taking of Pelham 123 this weekend and it was a really good movie...Denzel Washington and John Travolta...Travolta was actually better in the movie but he also had the more interesting character...he plays a crazy guy really well.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Vashti, did you watch the Boy in the Striped Pajamas? I watched it sunday morning and it brought me to tears. amazing acting by everyone in it. i remember going on a tour to one of those "camps" in Israel and it was terrifying just knowing how many jews died in there.

did you see Life is Beautiful? it reminded me of it.
    Yes, I've seen them both, and enjoyed them both, but they didn't remind me of one another.... have you seen Train de vie? It's a French movie that reminded me more of Life is Beautiful, only I think I liked it better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456