+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: So I have a crush on this girl...

You consider jumping rope hardcore? Really?

Anyways, here's what I recommend. You need to alternate between aerobic exercises. Here's an example schedule.

Monday: Jog two miles.
    Tuesday: Use the bike machine or just ride a bike for a couple of miles.
    Wednesday: Jump rope.
    Thursday: Speed walk.. and it wouldn't hurt to actually have some 2 or 3 pound weights to curl while you power walked.. you'd curl them naturally while you did your arm strides.
    Friday: Swim some laps.

No matter what, you need to do continuous aerobics and watch your diet.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I disagree. I read somewhere long ago...that aerobics is best for fast calories burning. The article showed a chart with the amount of calories burned with each type of exercise and jumprope I believe but not sure was high on the list...I think more so than running and definitely more than speed walking. It stuck in my head and that is how I exercise and nothing is better to me. My bf does running/speed walking and it is more tolerable so I understand why someone would not do something hardcore as jumping. I am sure info about it can be found online somewhere.
    Power walking is BETTER than running.

I still maintain that it's better than jumping rope too. I'm not saying that jumping rope doesn't work... I'm just saying that it doesn't burn the same calories that power walking does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    You consider jumping rope hardcore? Really?
    No, jumping rope is not hardcore at all but that was what I was getting from your posts on running/speed walking and responded like that.

EDIT: I don't do jump roping but I assumed it was the same as jumping but I understand now what you mean. I haven't jumped ropes since I was a child and forgot what it looked like. You are barely moving when doing regular jump roping.

What I mean is do jumping...aerobics...dancing like jumping jacks is that what it's call?...That's what I am talking about...ropeless jumping jacks. It is better than regular running but is not recommended if you have a heart condition.

Try jumping jacks for 30 minutes and get back with me with the results versus running.

Power walking is BETTER than running.

I still maintain that it's better than jumping rope too. I'm not saying that jumping rope doesn't work... I'm just saying that it doesn't burn the same calories that power walking does.
    You're right, jumping jacks..jumping whatever it's call burns MORE than power walking. I will try and find info online later because I believe you think I am pulling this info out of the sky. This is a FACT Cain. Nothing to argue about....fuss at the kinesiologist whatever if you feel they made a mistake in their calculations.

I know it works for me, but like I said my bf does running/powerwalks. Do what you enjoy because if you don't like and do jumping jacks then it's not going to be an effective exercise strategy.

EDIT: I meant jumping jacks not jumping ropes but it's very effective in calorie burning too.
    Last edited by lesa; 24-08-08 at 09:20 AM.

No, jumping rope is not hardcore at all but that was what I was getting from your posts on running/speed walking and responded like that.

EDIT: I don't do jump roping but I assumed it was the same as jumping but I understand now what you mean. I haven't jumped ropes since I was a child and forgot what it looked like. You are barely moving when doing regular jump roping.

What I mean is do jumping...aerobics...dancing like jumping jacks is that what it's call?...That's what I am talking about...ropeless jumping jacks. It is better than regular running but is not recommended if you have a heart condition.

Try jumping jacks for 30 minutes and get back with me with the results versus running.
    No way. Until you show me some article that shows that jumping jacks is better than running or power walking, that isn't going to change my opinion.

No way. Until you show me some article that shows that jumping jacks is better than running or power walking, that isn't going to change my opinion.
    ROFL okay, no problem. That will be your opinion then. Running/power walking may be better on knees and heart. I was just stating the calorie burning effects. Have you tried jumping jacks before?

ROFL okay, no problem. That will be your opinion then. Running/power walking may be better on knees and heart. I was just stating the calorie burning effects. Have you tried jumping jacks before?
    Yes, I have.

Feel free to find the studies that show it burns more calories.

I would love to go swimming but there isn't a pool anywhere around where I live.

Here is some exercise physiology 101:

This article explains it a little bit. It speaks of the relationship of increase oxygen consumption and calories burning. Also, when your body is moving in ways that it does not ‘normally’ do you will have a need for increase O2/HR and therefore increase calories burned.

[url]http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html[/url]

And here you go: I could not find info on jumping jacks but I know it’s quite high because I looked it up years ago and that is what I do. I do very minimum exercise and can eat as much as I desire…compared to my bf who works out practically every day with running and swimming in his regimen and he has a strict diet (he doesn’t eat much meat except for fish and maybe a little chicken). He just got a physical this month with labs and he is in perfect health so I can’t complain on what he does. I think it’s great…I just wanted to mention that jumping jacks is another effective way to burn calories that almost no one does:

[url]http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm[/url]

Quick summary:
    At 130 lbs, 155 lbs, and 190 lbs respectively:

Rope jumping, fast: 708, 844, 1035
    Rope jumping, moderate: 590, 704, 863
    Rope jumping, slow: 472, 563, 690
    Running 10 mph (6 min mile): 944, 1126, 1380
    Running general: 472, 563, 690
    Swimming, butterfly, general: 649, 774, 949
    Walking 4.0 mph very brisk pace: 236, 281, 345 (calories burn increase when walking faster for longer time)

Do I get an award? A hug maybe hehe?

Running is still going to burn more calories.

And the only reason I suggested power walking is because he's extremely obese right now and any kind of jumping or running is going to put a lot of pressure on his knees and could cause injuries.

I sped walked on the treadmill but I only lasted for 10 minutes. My throat became too dry and itchy even though I had a water bottle. When I got finished my breathing was way too fast and I was sweating a lot. I burned about 25 calories so that's something. I'll just start speed walking outside in the mornings and evenings for.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA09 View Post
    I sped walked on the treadmill but I only lasted for 10 minutes. My throat became too dry and itchy even though I had a water bottle. When I got finished my breathing was way too fast and I was sweating a lot. I burned about 25 calories so that's something. I'll just start speed walking outside in the mornings and evenings for.
    25 calories is nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

You're going to need to work on motivating yourself through the discomfort if you really want this to work.

I'm going to try to make an appointment to go back to the doctor's sometime this week and tell her about that. I mean it was really hard for me to get enough breaths, and my heart beating way too fast, but my legs didn't hurt at all and I felt really dizzy when I finished. I'm not trying to make up excuses so I'm sorry if it looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA09 View Post
    I'm going to try to make an appointment to go back to the doctor's sometime this week and tell her about that. I mean it was really hard for me to get enough breaths, and my heart beating way too fast, but my legs didn't hurt at all and I felt really dizzy when I finished. I'm not trying to make up excuses so I'm sorry if it looks that way.
    Did you buy a heart rate monitor? That is very important so you can stay in your target heart rate range.

I don't have any money to buy one of those yet. My mom gets paid Wednesday so I'll talk to her about it. I'm trying to get a job so I can buy exercise equipment and help my mom pay the bills. I've been watching The N's Student Body for a while now and it's going to keep me motivated; one guy on there lost 74 pounds in just 12 weeks. I know I'm going to have to work like crazy to lose this weight. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but I walk home from school almost everyday (if it's not raining) and it takes me about 20 minutes; I'll start speed walking it starting tomorrow.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast