+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: christians.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron180 View Post
    Christian Universalism is one of those rare religions that has no self righteousness nor hate.
    Doesn't it say in the 10 commandments "Thou shalt have no other god besides me" or something to that extent?

That has to fall under one of the categories of self-righteousness, hate, or jealousy. Either way, it's not pretty.

Or does universalism not believe in the story of Moses and the Ten Commandments?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    the thing is, when people look hard enough, they always find what they are looking for..

this is why i don't bother looking for god. i already know that he doesn't exist.... except for those special appearances on buttered toast

raverboy
    ^ Confirmation bias! It's why religion and conspiracy theories work.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    this is always probably why they drank wine all the time.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
    So the door is closed but you're saying there's still a possibility that it can be opened. And I'm saying because of that possibility - no matter how infinitesimally small it is (so long as it isn't zero) - it isn't logical to say you can fully close the door.
    Anything is possible. Absolutely anything. You have to disregard the possibilities that come with no backing. This is getting into syntax more than religion, but as of right now I am absolutely certain that there is no god and religion is bunk. My door is slammed shut. There is no room for debate. No room for argument. Until a god pops down here and moves mountains and farts rainbows I live with absolute certainty that there is no god.

When that day comes my door cracks open a hair and I consider that maybe there is an omnipotent being. Maybe.

Look at it this way: there could be little green men living on Mars. Maybe they're hiding from us. I'm absolutely certain that there are none. We have no evidence. In fact, what evidence we have points to them not existing. But if the Mars Rover stumbles across an underground city full of little green crackheads and prostitutes, hey, I'm gonna have to change my tune, obviously.

By your way of thinking I have a door open to every single possibility anyone can fathom and even those no one can. My doors are shut, man. The key is tangible proof.
    Last edited by Gribble; 20-10-09 at 10:07 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

^You're right, this is more a debate about syntax than religion. But, if you are to stray so far to one side of the debate as to absolutely close the door on the existence of a greater 'cosmic' being, then you're probably also experiencing the confirmation bias that Illusional mentions and you're no better than the religious people; you see no reason to believe, you don't want to believe, and because of this it makes you all the more zealous in your beliefs (it probably doesn't help either that for the most part, religion causes trouble in the world).

In the same way that you say my way of thinking leaves every possibility open, I can say that your way of thinking closes off every possibility until proven wrong. 200 years ago people could not fathom the type of technology that we have today (we will fly around in the sky in metal containers called airplanes); and we had a lot of wacky ideas about the future but some of them came true. I'm not saying everything is possible, but I am saying that very few things are truly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron180 View Post

I'm actually a Christian Universalist. I believe that everybody's going to be saved & go to heaven.
    I'm a Unitarian Universalist. I don't believe in heaven or hell. Wow, I can't believe you and I have something in common.
    Spammer Spanker

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Speaking of Christian Universalism, let me provide you with a hypothetical conundrum. Explain how this would end:

A vile, horrible beast of a "man" preys on children. That monster dies. Now it's in heaven. What happens when the fathers and older brothers of its victims die and they too go to heaven? What happens when they decide to spend eternity, or at least a hundred years or so, torturing this monster for its despicable crimes?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Ooo! That makes me want to go to heaven and help them!
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Simple. Its heaven, right? The child molester becomes bishop of an all-boys school with children who are the spirits of buggering priests. One man's heaven is another man's hell....

If he goes to hell, the scenario is reversed.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You know whats funny... There is increasing evidence that Jesus was Bi-Sexual and had relationships with me and women.
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    You know whats funny... There is increasing evidence that Jesus was Bi-Sexual and had relationships with me and women.
    You know what else is funny? That ^^^.
    Spammer Spanker

I think the main problem with Religion is it's duality. There is a vile self righteous side that denies everything and looks for enemies in anything "strange" or different. And there is a soft cultural underbelly that fills people's lives with hope, good will and decency. If only someone could separate the two.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I think the main problem with Religion is it's duality. There is a vile self righteous side that denies everything and looks for enemies in anything "strange" or different. And there is a soft cultural underbelly that fills people's lives with hope, good will and decency. If only someone could separate the two.
    Unfortunately going from devout to extreme is a smaller jump than most. And especially for religions, people aspire to be devout followers, as it is seen as a good thing.

oh lord!...i cant touch this subject lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sometimes the hardest part isn't saying GoodBye, Its waking up the next morning knowing that its TRUE" -AR

" When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want your life to start as soon possible" -?

"Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die" -James Dean

Who gives a shit what you think the problem is with religion.

Let people believe what they want to believe and stop blaming religion for the people who choose to customize it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast